Job satisfaction and happiness... is it all down to money ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Job satisfaction and happiness... is it all down to money ?

Post by weeksy »

Here's a random question for today.

We've currently got scaffolders lobbing stuff up next door, there's 5-6 of them and i've not seen a moment pass yet where at least one of them isn't laughing, joking, piss taking and smiling. It's constant banter and smiles.

But you can bet your arse they're not getting paid massive amounts... well, the owner may be, but not the general workers.

But it's got to be good rewarding work too, physically demanding, healthy outdoors stuff.

It's not for me... :D but hey, it seems like a nice no hassle, no stress kind of job.

But without the rewards of a bigger pay packet, pension etc... is it essentially an unhappy sort of job to be in ?
Yambo

Re: Job satisfaction and happiness... is it all down to money ?

Post by Yambo »

I don't think job satisfaction has anything to do with the wage.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:48 am Here's a random question for today.

We've currently got scaffolders lobbing stuff up next door, there's 5-6 of them and i've not seen a moment pass yet where at least one of them isn't laughing, joking, piss taking and smiling. It's constant banter and smiles.

But you can bet your arse they're not getting paid massive amounts... well, the owner may be, but not the general workers.

But it's got to be good rewarding work too, physically demanding, healthy outdoors stuff.

It's not for me... :D but hey, it seems like a nice no hassle, no stress kind of job.

But without the rewards of a bigger pay packet, pension etc... is it essentially an unhappy sort of job to be in ?
I wouldn't mind doing it for a bit.

I mentioned something similar to a mate who is a tree surgeon, so similar outdoorsy and staying fit. He reckoned not quite so much fun when you have to do it in the dead of winter when it's pissing down.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DefTrap wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 am He reckoned not quite so much fun when you have to do it in the dead of winter when it's pissing down.
Indeedy.... that would certainly be a downside when you can't feel your fingers and are sodding cold.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:54 am I don't think job satisfaction has anything to do with the wage.
Mostly.

Getting underpaid would probably errode it quite a bit, but getting paid loads doesn't necessarily have the opposite effect.

I imagine working outdoors with your mates on a sunny day in May is different to working on your own on a wet December Tuesday too.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Best job for banter I ever had was on the sites, but it didn't pay what I wanted to give me more choices in life, and I wanted the choices.

But it gets to a stage where you work yourself up to a point where the money is enough, it's different for everyone, but once you reach that amount you don't even think about the money anymore, it's 100% job satisfaction.

It takes a lot of hard work to get to that point though, I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
I'd ring my big boss, well, actually i'd buy him a new MTB and take him out riding...

But that's as far as i'd get with that one :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am, I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
My dad retired aged 65, on a Friday.

Monday morning after, he sorted three part-time jobs. Mum didn't want him cluttering the house.

I retire in 2 years. Well, roughly 2 years 1 month 1 week. I'm already planning what I will do!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 amI think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
I did win the lottery. I didn't quit.

Mostly because it was £10 for three numbers. :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I won the Lotto on Saturday.

It's £30 for three numbers now.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

No.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I took a 10k pay cut to get out of a job I was starting to hate.... not the job really, just a couple of people and the direction the company was going.

I'd been there 10 years and got used to how thing were.

It wasn't until I moved on that I realised just how much time I used to spend working and worrying about stuff at work. I didn't know I was stressed, until there wasn't any stress anymore.

I kind of missed it at first (daft I know), but I'm a lot less worried about about stuff and actually enjoy what I do a lot more... I'm almost back up to earning what I did before, which is nice.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Definitely not all down to money, but the reward (both financial and in terms of a personal sense of achievement) has historically played a massive part in the satisfaction for me hence my work choices to date have always been influenced by how much money I can make.
That's mainly for the reason that generally speaking money buys freedom, albeit it can be a bit of a vicious circle as of course sometimes the calls on your time that making money can bring also can seriously curtail the amount of free time you have, in the short term at least.

I'm now fortunate enough that I've got everything I want really and enough money/investments to be able to do anything I want and not have to work ever again if I don't want to, but I (currently at least ) feel that I still need to work to stop myself turning into a pensioner, so I am, although looking more and more towards cutting the work time back, it's just getting that balance of commitment vs reward right .

Maybe I'll try scaffolding :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 am Maybe I'll try scaffolding :thumbup:
It seems you only have to work 1 hour shifts, then spend 25 mins in the van drinking tea/stella.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:45 am
It seems you only have to work 1 hour shifts, then spend 25 mins in the van drinking tea/stella.
You forgot the weed and chemicals- seriously, I've known a fair few scaffolders in my time and there hasn't been one who isn't a stoner :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:48 am
weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:45 am
You forgot the weed and chemicals- seriously, I've known a fair few scaffolders in my time and there hasn't been one who isn't a stoner :D
Well, without looking to sterotype too much, they don't look like the sort of blokes who drink brandy and smoke cuban cigars :)
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

Average scaffolder is on £40k+, often much of it in cash....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:12 am I think the majority of people go to work for the money, if they won the lottery tomorrow they'd quit, whereas I wouldn't, at least not for a year or two anyway.
I can't imagine I'd quit work if I won the lottery, but it would certainly be nice to put that to the test :D I'd have to start buying tickets first though!

I've already said that I won a silly Euromillions jackpot of like £100m I'd buy all my close co-workers a fancy new car. A fleet of electric Porsches for the 10 people I work with most often wouldn't even be 1% of the winnings.

Not including management, obvs. :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:48 am
I've already said that I won a silly Euromillions jackpot of like £100m I'd buy all my close co-workers a fancy new car. A fleet of electric Porsches for the 10 people I work with most often wouldn't even be 1% of the winnings.

Not including management, obvs. :D
They'd probably sell them and use the money for something they actually want.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

If I won serious money I'd still work, because I'm really not built for masses of loafing, but I'm sure as shit not working for anyone else.