£3K Electrically Assisted MTB

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Couchy

Re: £3K Electrically Assisted MTB

Post by Couchy »

G.P wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 pm I really like the idea of an E-bike but the electric motor, controller and battery performance seem to be progressing really quickly.
Quickly enough for you to have to upgrade each year or two to enjoy the highest performance. Its like colour TV development in the 70's and 80's but with no Radio rentals! :)
Limited to 250w and 15.5mph so they get slightly better but I’m happy with my gen3 or newer gen4 Bosch, the older is cruder but it doesn’t matter.

[mention]millemille[/mention] gen4 is derestricted now too. If they had a 20 limit I wouldn’t have derestricted tbh.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm @millemille gen4 is derestricted now too. If they had a 20 limit I wouldn’t have derestricted tbh.
Reminds me, i need a faceplant emoji.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Just heard that our work C2W scheme is going up from £1k to £4k to cover ebikes etc.

Maybe an upgrade is in order, even though I don't really need it!! (but when the hell did that ever matter :lol: )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 am Just heard that our work C2W scheme is going up from £1k to £4k to cover ebikes etc.

Maybe an upgrade is in order, even though I don't really need it!! (but when the hell did that ever matter :lol: )
If you're hoping for an argument on upgrading, you may be on the wrong forum :)
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:03 am
Nordboy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 am Just heard that our work C2W scheme is going up from £1k to £4k to cover ebikes etc.

If you're hoping for an argument on upgrading, you may be on the wrong forum :)
:) :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Found a derestrictor for it on eBay, don't think I'll bother though, 30mph would mean wearing protective clothing.
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

Couchy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:12 pm @millemille gen4 is derestricted now too. If they had a 20 limit I wouldn’t have derestricted tbh.
None of the problems with the system locking out and having to be unlocked by Bosch and there being a limit of 3 lockouts?
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:19 am Found a derestrictor for it on eBay, don't think I'll bother though, 30mph would mean wearing protective clothing.
Now i'm through the warranty period I have toyed with derestricting mine. The only time I really find the speed thing an issue is on flat roads or slight inclines on the roads that I ride. If i'm off road downhill I just turn the motor off, regularly see 30+mph. I really don't think I'd get nay benefit from off road uphill stuff as I'm not far (or often) even into double figures.

So, I haven't bothered......yet ;)
millemille

Post by millemille »

Nordboy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:19 am Found a derestrictor for it on eBay, don't think I'll bother though, 30mph would mean wearing protective clothing.
Now i'm through the warranty period I have toyed with derestricting mine. The only time I really find the speed thing an issue is on flat roads or slight inclines on the roads that I ride. If i'm off road downhill I just turn the motor off, regularly see 30+mph. I really don't think I'd get nay benefit from off road uphill stuff as I'm not far (or often) even into double figures.

So, I haven't bothered......yet ;)
Same here.
millemille

Post by millemille »

I'll just leave this here. Not aimed at anyone in particular*.....

*It is....
Le_Fromage_Grande

It's been delivered, I've been out for a short ride on it (I'm WFH and it was lunchtime)
I'm very happy with it, just the right size for me, feels comfortable, the electric assist is good, makes it feel like your riding in a lower gear than you are, though Turbo mode on the flat in a low gear was a bit too much, great going up hills, put it in Turbo and it just feels like the flat, longer ride this evening when it's cooled down a bit and I've finished work for the day.

Arrived very well packed, I've now got a mountain of bubble wrap, it looks really well made.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

I can see what Weeksy means about E Bikes being a bit barge like, it does feel like the cycling equivalent of a DRZ400, powerful, heavy and a bit long, I think it will be a good bike for cross country but will be harder work in tight twisty going
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Been out for a couple of hours on it, done 18 miles, it's brilliant, it climbs up hills like a trials motorcycle, there's a steepish rockyish climb not far mine where I had to stop to let some walkers go by, set off in a low gear in turbo and it just climbed up it with little effort from me, I can concentrate on riding the bike rather than having to think about conserving energy or pedalling.

It's great in sand as well, just powers through it.

Popped round and saw my mate who's seriously into mountain biking and very fit, he liked it and thought it was a really good purchase for me, as I'm in no way fit, I'm amazed I'm not a sweating gibbering wreck after that ride.

Any way it has 4 power modes, Eco, Tour, EMTB and Turbo, I barely used Eco, mostly used Tour, used EMTB for sand and mild hills, I used Turbo for hills that would have had me getting off a normal bike and pushing. It's got a load of gears which change nicely, though I'm not keen on the shifter for changing up, it's in a weird place. Changing power modes is done by left thumb, it's okay, but I would have preferred a central display and a rocker button for going up and down the power modes.

And it's utterly brilliant.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

FB_IMG_1590685669300.jpg
FB_IMG_1590685669300.jpg (97.23 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
FB_IMG_1590685677623.jpg
FB_IMG_1590685677623.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Honda Owner
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Sorry if you already knows this but emtb senses the power you put in and adjusts the power assist accordingly eg if you properly push then it will automatically assist in turbo mode etc. It’s almost like an automatic mode that you can just leave it in.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Bomble wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 pm Sorry if you already knows this but emtb senses the power you put in and adjusts the power assist accordingly eg if you properly push then it will automatically assist in turbo mode etc. It’s almost like an automatic mode that you can just leave it in.
Didn't know that, makes sense, I'll have to give it a bit more of a go in EMTB to see if I like it. I do like the surge you get when you put it into turbo and how easy it makes going up hills.

The electric motor seems to smooth everything out and make the effort required a lot more even. Have I mentioned that I'm really happy with it?
Honda Owner
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Bike looks great :thumbup:

What you'll find is that you'll start using the higher settings first off, as you get fitter, you'll be able to use the lower settings to do the same rides.
I use the power modes like extra gears, lower gears first, probably in Eco, then when i start to struggle, up to tour, then emtb, very rarely these days do i use turbo. In fact I really can't remember the last time I used it.
Most of my riding is eco and tour, then a bit of emtb on the tougher or more technical climbs.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Nordboy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am Bike looks great :thumbup:

What you'll find is that you'll start using the higher settings first off, as you get fitter, you'll be able to use the lower settings to do the same rides.
I use the power modes like extra gears, lower gears first, probably in Eco, then when i start to struggle, up to tour, then emtb, very rarely these days do i use turbo. In fact I really can't remember the last time I used it.
Most of my riding is eco and tour, then a bit of emtb on the tougher or more technical climbs.
Exactly this.

Did 21 miles and 2,700 foot of climbing off-road around the Peak District, Ladybower loop, on Wednesday with [mention]Couchy[/mention]. I used tour and emtb and at the end of the ride had 2 bars of battery, and 10km's range, left. [mention]Couchy[/mention] was giving the turbo a load of abuse on the climbs had 1 mile range left.....

Did the whole loop in about 2hrs 10 minutes riding time.

We did manage, according to [mention]Couchy[/mention] 's Strava, to set the 15th fastest time ever up Hagg Side Farm climb. Not bad for a couple of overweight, middle aged, fucked blokes....
Le_Fromage_Grande

Nordboy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 am Bike looks great :thumbup:

I assumed this is what would happen, I really like the way it smooths out the uphills, it means a lot less strain on my knees.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Did a 16 mile ride yesterday evening, at least 90% on dirt, really enjoyed it, though I did feel a little guilty as I powered past two people on ordinary bikes on a steep sandy uphill bit.
I need to do something about the seat/shorts situation as my arse feels like I've visited the bumming forum.
Honda Owner