My new red two-up touring bike

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Tricky

My new red two-up touring bike

Post by Tricky »

Well, it's not brand new, but new to me, and also known as " The Shouty Armchair" as my brother Kev has christened it after riding it, which I have to say, if you had to sum it up in two words, then that's just about as good of a description as there is of it.

It's been bought as for the very first time in my whole life I have an OH who actually wants to, and it transpires, really loves travelling on the back of a bike.
Until a few weeks ago , she was a complete motorbike virgin, albeit she's spent the last 20-30 years of her life in and around what any petrolhead would say are very nice (and fast) cars, she loves a bit of an adventure , and not always obeying all the rules, so TBH I',m not too surprised that she likes bikes as much.

Although I’ve been on bikes since a was a very small boy, none of my three boys have ever really clicked with them, so how good a bike is two-up has until now never ever figured in any of my buying decisions. Prior to deciding buy the MTS, I borrowed my brothers BMW K1300S to test things out, see whether going on the back was something she really wanted to do more than once or twice and hence warrant buying a “two-up” bike.
She loved being on the back from the very first time, so decision was made that I’d buy a suitable bike, and I decided on a MultiStrada without ever having ridden one, as they have definitely been designed with a pillion also in mind, still ( so test reports say) ride like a sportsbike, and well, I think they are the prettiest of this sort of bike.

I was looking at getting a recent (DVT engine with the added benefit of Cruise Control) one, but this relatively old (2012) 1200S came up locally at what I thought was a fair price so I just bought it.
It’s the “ Touring” model so came from the factory with full 3-box hard luggage, centre stand, and heated grips, and as it is the “S” it has the electronically adjustable Ohlins “skyhook” suspension that I decided was a must- I’d previously had it on my last MT-10, and I loved it.
The ability to adjust it on the move when you hit a different road with the click of a few buttons on the bars is worth having IMO, and I thought not having to get the spanners out to adjust the suspension would be particularly desirable on a bike where I might be regularly riding both one and two up.

So, what’s it like?
It’s a two-owner bike with 7k miles from new and has obviously been taken care of- not quite immaculate, but not far off, and not a mark or scratch on it. Completely standard apart from a Leo-Vince de-cat/mid-pipe silencer (that really doesn’t silence at all IMO so that is going), and aside from the amount of noise it makes when you use the performance, I love it.
Have put 500 miles on it this week, almost all of them two-up, including a 200 mile round trip to Brighton to see one of my boys and its been great;- quite vibrate-y compared to the K13, but hey it’s a big twin eh, and it’s not tiresome. It’s doesn’t have the ballistic top-end of that bike, but 130+ comes up very easily two-up, and realistically, that is plenty fast enough .
I love the riding position , engine, and it's dead comfy, but the aspect that’s impressed me the most is the handling- it feels so, so light and quick-steering compared to the K13, and crucially, putting someone on the back really doesn’t seem to change that, it's still so flickable, but completely stable too, at any speed so far.
And ( looks aside of course), I'm even really liking having a topbox- I must be getting old I guess! :)

What am I going to change then?
Number one on the list is find a standard Cat-box (I didn’t get it with the bike), and get that back on.
The noise doesn’t worry her on the back at all ( in fact she loves how loud it is) , and with earplugs in the noise doesn’t bother me either, but I occasionally might drift above speed limits and just do not like attracting attention to myself - how the fuck people ride around with really loud exhausts on the road beats me.

I will also probably fit a quick shifter it doesn’t bother me it not having one, but I’ve got used to having one over recent years, and like them so why not.

Aside from that, I just plan to keep throwing petrol and tyres at it, as soon as things get back to whatever the new normal is, it will be crossing the channel and seeing some other countries, and doubtless a trip around the Highlands too at some point :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: My new red two-up touring bike

Post by weeksy »

I really look forward to trying that one out!!!
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

You will of course be most welcome sir!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Fuck the bike. Love the 328 :)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Slenver wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 am Fuck the bike. Love the 328 :)
Lol- How the fuck people drive those things any distance beats me- I've only really moved it in and out of the garage and thought it was horrid
( there's an original 1965 Cobra in the other garage, much more my cup of tea.. 8-) )
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Lovely bike..... someone really should have ridden that more.

Ohlins model shocks and the skyhook is a revelation once you get used to it flattening out the bumps. Looks like a previous owner has added the GT crash bars on the side and left the big fender extender on the rear wheel

Make sure you glue or fix the rubber things on the pillion hangers that the panniers slip onto as they are a push fit and vanish ....ask me how i know

Hope you enjoy it , i loved my first one so much i bought another when it was written off :thumbup:

PS, the touring comes with the panniers, someone has added the Givi box as thats not a standard Ducati one ;)

PPS check the front preload on the right fork top as they come as standard set for a 15 kg midget...... for your weight probably about 5 turns from base to sort out any softness and excess dive, Previous owner might already have done it as its a known thing
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am I really look forward to trying that one out!!!
I have offered you the keys to mine before to take on the road ....... probably not taken up as we have always been at a trackday
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm sure I've said over on the other place, my mate had one when I had my Dragster RC and we were both neck and neck on the track, but he was a lot more comfortable riding home :D

It's a do-it-all bike (as long as you're not expecting superbike performance on the track), I think the only danger is that you might end up selling all the other bikes because the Ducati does it all.

Btw, impressive drum and motor.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Bigyin wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 am Lovely bike..... someone really should have ridden that more.

Ohlins model shocks and the skyhook is a revelation once you get used to it flattening out the bumps. Looks like a previous owner has added the GT crash bars on the side and left the big fender extender on the rear wheel

Make sure you glue or fix the rubber things on the pillion hangers that the panniers slip onto as they are a push fit and vanish ....ask me how i know

Hope you enjoy it , i loved my first one so much i bought another when it was written off :thumbup:

PS, the touring comes with the panniers, someone has added the Givi box as thats not a standard Ducati one ;)

PPS check the front preload on the right fork top as they come as standard set for a 15 kg midget...... for your weight probably about 5 turns from base to sort out any softness and excess dive, Previous owner might already have done it as its a known thing
Cheers agree, they should, although I'm glad they didn't :)
Excellent inputs, I've not got around to reading the manuals yet but am now going to check the front preload- I've had a play around and experimented with the electronic settings, of course, the rear preload is covered within that but yup the front isn't so good point- it seemed great to me , so maybe its been wound up , but we shall see.
And I think I'll glue those rubber things too :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Great write up Tricky, glad you are pleased with it.

Nice to have an OH who wants to go touring too ;) :thumbup:
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Great write up Rich....Shouty was the only description I could think of. It rivals my Mille Ti race can and the Panigale you used to own. Riding it was the catalyst for me moving on the K1300S so quickly.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Tricky wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 am Cheers agree, they should, although I'm glad they didn't :)
Excellent inputs, I've not got around to reading the manuals yet but am now going to check the front preload- I've had a play around and experimented with the electronic settings, of course, the rear preload is covered within that but yup the front isn't so good point- it seemed great to me , so maybe its been wound up , but we shall see.
And I think I'll glue those rubber things too :thumbup:
I dont think the manual shows the physical preload adjustment just the electronics . There is a nut on the top of the right fork leg. If you turn it left most only go back 3/4 of a turn which is how they come out of the factory. The Ducatisti lot reckon its 1 turn right for each 15 KG of rider weight. Mine was set at 3/4 and the thing would dive hard under braking. I have now put 6 turns right into it from full left and it made a huge difference to the front end handling

Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:54 pm The Ducatisti lot reckon its 1 turn right for each 15 KG of rider weight.
Did Funners need new fork springs and a revalve?

*runs...
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

So, is she a keeper ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nobby wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 pm So, is she a keeper ?
Most things that go in his garage seen to be, so this has a chance.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 pm
Nobby wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:19 pm So, is she a keeper ?
Most things that go in his garage seen to be, so this has a chance.
I assumed Nobby's question related to the OH, not the bike :)
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Great write up, looks lovely. Any news on your 890?
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Is the skyhook the same as the electronic ohlins on a panigale? I had a go on a 1299s pani the other day and the suspension was very impressive on rough roads for a sports bike.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Bomble wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:59 pm Is the skyhook the same as the electronic ohlins on a panigale? I had a go on a 1299s pani the other day and the suspension was very impressive on rough roads for a sports bike.
As far as i know its different . I know the skyhook isnt on Ohlins bikes, its just a semi active upgrade inside Ohlins kit for the early 2010-2012 models. After that they went to different externals on the 2013-2014 bikes like i had/have and its a full Sachs semi active set up called Skyhook. Some of the Ohlins kitted bikes dont have the semi active fitted just very good Ohlins internals.

The Panigale doesnt have skyhook but does have some electronic upgrades with Ohlins iirc

Does that make sense as the suspension varies on exactly what model and year Multistrada you buy ....... the Pikes Peak edition ones dont have Skyhook but expensive Ohlins. Mine both have Skyhook and its very impressive. Ask Wreckless Rat who was surprised how well it drove and handled on some roads last week when he was on his ZX10 feeling a bit rattled on the bumps
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Sir needs an AlpinaImage