NIMBY thread.... Exhausts...

Anything you like about motorbikes
mangocrazy

Re: NIMBY thread.... Exhausts...

Post by mangocrazy »

I guess my attitude to noise has become slightly (but not much) more anti than when I was a yoof. I remeber 4 or 5 of us, all with loud pipes, making a right racket in a tunnel back in the early 90s, but these days I ride with db killers in the Akras on the KTM Duke and Aprilia Falco, and standard exhausts on the VFR and LC. There is really nothing to be gained by unnecessarily winding up the general public with excessive exhaust noise.

But that's the 71 y.o. me talking. The 16 y.o. me would have had a totally different opinion...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'm 53 and still enjoy my own bikes being noisy, my FZR400 sounds lovely, obviously being a middle aged man that lives in a suburban cul de sac I thoroughly disapprove of my near neighbours noisy ZX7R and the bloke round the corners noisy R1 that he hasn't ridden for years.
Honda Owner
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm
Ssray wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 pm I shift work so am on the bike at 0500 sometimes, aftermarket can for the weight saving (yes I could just eat less) and a baffle to keep the neighbours sweet
Apparently one of the most popular things about Hybrid Ferraris, McLarens etc. is the fact you can leave silently. People in expensive country houses like being able to get 4 miles away before starting up their noisy V8.
Put me down for 2
Skub wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm
Ssray wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:12 pm I shift work so am on the bike at 0500 sometimes, aftermarket can for the weight saving (yes I could just eat less) and a baffle to keep the neighbours sweet
Apparently one of the most popular things about Hybrid Ferraris, McLarens etc. is the fact you can leave silently. People in expensive country houses like being able to get 4 miles away before starting up their noisy V8.
No warming up for that poor old engine then. :(
Hardly ever bother warming up on choke etc, start up, gloves on then ride off(not max revs) end of the road it's reduce choke or on the summer completely off
Skub

Post by Skub »

Ssray wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:03 am
Hardly ever bother warming up on choke etc, start up, gloves on then ride off(not max revs) end of the road it's reduce choke or on the summer completely off
What is this choke thing you speak of?

Next you'll be telling me your bike has carburettors. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 pm

Eh ? What ? Are they 6v or summat ?
Druid

Post by Druid »

My MV had a choke. Well it was called a choke in the manual but it was really a fast idle lever. Why the hell they couldn't program that into the ECU like every other manufactured I don't know, Italian "character" I suppose.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Druid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 pm
My MV had a choke. Well it was called a choke in the manual but it was really a fast idle lever. Why the hell they couldn't program that into the ECU like every other manufactured I don't know, Italian "character" I suppose.
K75/100 series BMWs had one too.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Horse wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 pm
Druid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 pm
K75/100 series BMWs had one too.
And the Himalayan!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

There was a pub I used to go to that was located on a curve/hill & the beer garden was below the road level. We'd sit there & try to identify bikes by the sound as they went past before they came into view. Kaw's always seem to have more of a bark to them than Honda's, & they still do.
In related news there was some bloke at the RS on a loud XS750 triple last month that got me all tingly & reminiscing about the Jota I had.. well, at least until I remembered why I sold it..
My ZRX is a bit loud, (tested at 143.7Db several years ago before I made it a bit quieter) I fired it up one day & the bloke with his back to it standing by the rear wheel almost leapt over the wall he was leaning on :)
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

I was just about to say I have never had a bike with fi. Then I read about the k100 and I've had one of them
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:08 am There was a pub I used to go to that was located on a curve/hill & the beer garden was below the road level. We'd sit there & try to identify bikes by the sound as they went past before they came into view. Kaw's always seem to have more of a bark to them than Honda's, & they still do.
In related news there was some bloke at the RS on a loud XS750 triple last month that got me all tingly & reminiscing about the Jota I had.. well, at least until I remembered why I sold it..
My ZRX is a bit loud, (tested at 143.7Db several years ago before I made it a bit quieter) I fired it up one day & the bloke with his back to it standing by the rear wheel almost leapt over the wall he was leaning on :)
When I used to use my Ducati 888 SP3 as a road bike (over 20 years ago) it had a faithful copy of the exhaust on Foggy's WSB bike of the day with no baffles (the bloke who made mine actually mended the exhaust on Foggy's factory 888 after an off and took detailed notes) .

I well remember seeing a brain-dead individual just about to wander out in front of me at a junction, so gave it a healthy blip of the throttle. He jumped so far backwards he nearly fell over. Made my day.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

The wife, dog and I stopped at Hawes for a mooch two weeks ago and, as always, there were a shitload of bikes there. There were a few with ridiculously loud exhausts that insisted on going up and down the high street in 1st at 8k revs.

No wonder people get pissed of at us.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ran it with open pipes at Willow last weekend :)

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 pm Ran it with open pipes at Willow last weekend :)

That's not an open exhaust. That's a baked bean can... :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:42 pm That's not an open exhaust. That's a baked bean can... :D
It's about 8.5lb of Muzzy melodious mayhem :)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Wow. That looks like it's tuned to be as ear-splittingly loud as it can be.

And is that a banana shaped frame brace I see?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

It's loud enough to be physically painful if you stand behind it. 143.7Db.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

I just bought a Guzzi with race pipes on it, my god its loud, fortunately came with original pipes and air filter, so they'll be going back on as soon as time permits.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm It's loud enough to be physically painful if you stand behind it. 143.7Db.
Is that a good thing?
What's the point - as I can't imagine it help engine power ....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It helps compensate for other failings.

If I screamed right in your lughole that would be painful too, so its not really saying much to point out that standing right behind it is loud.

140dB is about what F1 would do 'drive by' with the old engines, the newer turbos are more like 130 (which is quote a big drop) as is MotoGP.

140dB right next to something is alot quieter.