Debating a bit of a change, Ducati 848 content

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Debating a bit of a change, Ducati 848 content

Post by weeksy »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-848-2 ... SwcBpd~Bfy

Got a discussion ongoing with these blokes on this 848.

Basically our zx6r + £1000

I paid £3700 for it and we've had 2.5 years out of it, so I'm happy on the financial aspect of it. Obviously that's non standard bodywork, but I'm not seeing that as a major stumbling block.

Tempting though for sure.
KungFooBob

Re: Debating a bit of a change, Ducati 848 content

Post by KungFooBob »

Isn't it the wife's ZX6, what does she think?

15,000 miles is the big service on those, I know it says belts done, but what about valves, etc..?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 pm Isn't it the wife's ZX6, what does she think?

15,000 miles is the big service on those, I know it says belts done, but what about valves, etc..?
She doesn't know yet. Hers, mine, hmmm there's a discussion. It was my money, it's v5 is in my name and it's insured by me. I'm not sure I'm admitting it's mine though.

Awaiting answers on rest of history.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yeah, but... iirc you want her to enjoy doing trackdays, so you get to tag along :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm Yeah, but... iirc you want her to enjoy doing trackdays, so you get to tag along :)
Well yes of course I want her to enjoy them. But she could do that on both of course. I'd enjoy owning the 848 more for sure but I also think she'd enjoy riding it. She certainly enjoyed our previous one
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It does seems like a decent deal.

I'd prefer owning an 848 over a ZX6 too (saying that I almost bought an 848, then spent the cash on a 700 Transalp, go figure!).

I just remember in the past she got on with some bikes better than others, couldn't remember if the last 848 was one of them.

Shame it's not got all the nice bits like the last once, but I guess that reflecting on it a) not being an ex-race bike and b) being a bit cheaper.
Skub

Post by Skub »

A no brainer for me.

I'd take a Kawasaki over a Ducati anyday! :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm I just remember in the past she got on with some bikes better than others, couldn't remember if the last 848 was one of them.
She doesn't actually recall which bikes we've owned and how she did or didn't get on with it. I recall she rode it twice at Pembrey and once at Rockingham, but if I'm honest, I don't know whether she loved or hated it, feedback has been somewhat lacking over the years.
She says she likes the zx6 but it doesn't always feel like it lol.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 pm A no brainer for me.

I'd take a Kawasaki over a Ducati anyday! :P
Errrrm. Lol.

In 3 months I've taken the cover off it once, in fact j think once since September. As a bike to me it's a tool, but it's not all about me.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

imho, you've got that bike buying itch and you're trying to justify it :)

Rather than buying another track bike, isn't it about time you bought some old shitter and then spent three times it's potential resale value restoring it concours condition, or as it's soon to be known, Weeksy condition.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 pm imho, you've got that bike buying itch and you're trying to justify it :)

Rather than buying another track bike, isn't it about time you bought some old shitter and then spent three times it's potential resale value restoring it concours condition, or as it's soon to be known, Weeksy condition.
I'm more than happy to entertain that as a concept. But I don't even know where to begin with the idea. I like couchies er5 thing but he has all the machine, parts, blasting and painting within walking distance of his office. I don't really have the imagination personally, I'm a bit of a one trick pony
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:06 pm imho, you've got that bike buying itch and you're trying to justify it :)

I'm more than happy to entertain that as a concept. But I don't even know where to begin with the idea. I like couchies er5 thing but he has all the machine, parts, blasting and painting within walking distance of his office. I don't really have the imagination personally, I'm a bit of a one trick pony
You need a nice little 250 Desmo, like this, but requiring some work...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-350-D ... 3945701375

I'd buy shares in Autosol if you got something classic.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:20 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm

You need a nice little 250 Desmo, like this, but requiring some work...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-350-D ... 3945701375

I'd buy shares in Autosol if you got something classic.
I'd also need a damn sight bigger budget and a workshop.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

oh, I don't know, not sure if I'll like it or hate it
So currently we're a no. I don't mind buying bikes on a whim, but she has to be in it with me if we're going for it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well the Duc looks much better and it has more ownership pride factor.

But if it was me for what you use it for I'd keep the ZX6. The Kwak will lap up trackdays with the odd oil and filter. Hell it'll commute 365 days a year till 100k miles with just the odd oil and filter. The 848 will need a lot more up keep which if it was a road bike and you were using it a lot and going to meets etc might be worth it, but not for a bike you get out of the garage 4 times a year.

I reckon you'll buy the Duc though.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

ZX6. It works, its is a known quality and delivers what is required, thrills with no spills.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Interesting one this- sounds like it's a non-starter from Mrs W , but if it turns out not to be, I'd definitely recommend looking at that one before committing-

The reason that I say that is as I took a trip down there a week or so back - he has a number of Multistradas, and one particularly caught my eye due to the amount of carbon bits on it and the low (5k) miles.
I'd all but bought it over the phone but took a little trip down to Dartford in the car just to confirm, and maybe knock him a bit, but changed my mind after I'd seen it so I was glad I made the trip.

It's a no-windows industrial unit lock-up in a rough old place so really doesn't look great, but he has a load of decent stock there- unfortunately this particular bike looked decidedly less pristine and a lot more used than I was expecting from the ad, looks pretty much mint in the pics, but there was a fair bit of (admittedly relatively minor) corrosion here and there, footrest rubbers had the Ducati logos worn off and the front discs had had a hard life, Steve (the owner of the place ) seemed a decent enough bloke, but I just didn't get a great feeling about it, so didn't even bother starting it up, let alone anything else.

Anyway, I know you want another Ducati to polish and stroke, but I'd be almost certain it's intended rider would prefer the ZX to ride! :lol:
G.P

Post by G.P »

This, he's Bored.
848 is a lovely bike until you get a £600 service bill and then go hunting for the ideal Jap trackbike for her (which will be a ZX6R). Remember you've had an 848 Ducati trackbike before - why did it go?

I think you should start a cottage bike dealing scheme to keep you out of trouble. If you've got the patience, there's money to be made by preying on the unaware and uneducated on ebay. You could probably flick on Premiers older trades too ;) :thumbup: :thumbup:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

This is "heart" or "head".

There's plenty of broken hearted bikers out there.
Brian
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Just buy the bloody thing and keep the ZX6 as well, you're allowed to have multiple bikes that do the same job.
Honda Owner