Bells ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Couchy

Bells ?

Post by Couchy »

Have you got one, do you use it ?

Shared trails are busy in places and folk don’t always here you coming or asking them to move, have t had a bell since I was made to have one as a kid but starting to think it may work now
Asian Boss

Re: Bells ?

Post by Asian Boss »

Yes, pretty much essential where I ride.

I try and use it well in advance, when the people are a good way away, it seems a bit more polite that way.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

No and no. But at times it would make sense.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I’ve got one and on shared trails it’s handy ..the trick seems to be to keep the ring gentle ..if your ring aggressively it winds people up whereas a gentle ting seems to bring about the right sort of response ..
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 pm No and no. But at times it would make sense.
Whilst I’m firmly of that mindset today at times I had to be right behind people usually 4 abreast across a shared trail and ask them to move more than once, it’s a genuine surprise to them that cycles are also on the trail. Tbh I got that fed up I just started picking gaps when it was adults only and I’m sure I didn’t do our reputation any favours. Luckily it’s only the easy walking trails used to link the good stuff but still I think I’ll get a bell and try that
joe19

Post by joe19 »

Yeah, not sure how else to make folks aware? Even a bell doesn't work half the time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

joe19 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:03 pm Yeah, not sure how else to make folks aware? Even a bell doesn't work half the time.
OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
millemille

Post by millemille »

Yes and yes.
Fruity

Post by Fruity »

Couchy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:07 pm Have you got one, do you use it ?

On my mountain bike, yes. Useful on the rural roads I go on, where there no footpaths but plenty of horse riders and pedestrians.

I keep meaning to fit one on my road bike too. I was a bit surprised it didnt have one from new.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Big fan of the Timber bell>. Sounds like a cow bell - you can turn it on and off.

Way less “fuck off” from walkers since i had one
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Bells are essential here. Let the horse know your coming, don't matter about the rider. Head on they see you, no probs. 🔊
Yamaha rocket 3
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 pm Big fan of the Timber bell>. Sounds like a cow bell - you can turn it on and off.

Way less “fuck off” from walkers since i had one
That’s a really clever idea, but £20+ for a bell is salty? Better start saving :thumbup:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Had a lovely Ti bell on the Curtis, it broke in lockdown one as I’d be ringing it and getting no reaction from the walkers rung it harder till the hammer snapped off, this was due to people wearing flipping ear buds!!

So now rely on a loud “hello” or a back brake lock up if I’m being ignored. Horse riders get a wide berth and a hello from a distance so as to let the horse know you’re there and if it’s the mad horsewoman of Jevington who puts hard passes on cyclists on the road in her 4x4 I just give her my best Paddington Bear hard stare😂
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're a legal requirement for road riding AFAIK? I doubt that is ever enforced though, how would you?

Here in MK there are lots of shared pedestrian/cycle routes (the 'redways'). It fucks me right off when people overtake closely you on a pushbike going flat out with no prior warning, especially when 3 year old baby D is with me.

Personally I think a little "ding ding" is all that's needed and it sounds quite friendly.

Oddly enough its generally the people on fancy expensive bikes who don't have a bell. They're too cool and fast for that I suppose.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 am Oddly enough its generally the people on fancy expensive bikes who don't have a bell. They're too cool and fast for that I suppose.
Amen brother Dazzle :thumbup:
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Knog Oi. Looks good on a road bike and a nice tone, doesn't make noise on rough road so should be good on a trail.

I like using a bell out of courtesy as well has a friendly "hello" when approaching people. But I learnt that there's no pleasing some people

1. The ones who chide you for using a bell as if to say "coming through, out of my way" and would prefer you to use your voice
2. The ones who moan at you using your voice and would prefer you to use a bell
3. The ones who fail to hear your bell, your voice, and your freewheel then suddenly jump when they realise you're there and say you should have warned them that you were approaching
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 am They're a legal requirement for road riding AFAIK? I doubt that is ever enforced though, how would you?
At point of sale only, as far as I'm aware. And to be honest, useless on the road, in a brown bib shorts moment it's your voice you need :shock:
ogri

Post by ogri »

Playing card attached to front fork with a clothes peg, positioned to hit the the spokes will let people/wildlife aware of your presence.
May also annoy the fek out of everyone too :)
Ignorance is bliss
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

ogri wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:26 am May also annoy the fek out of everyone too :)
Now confused whether I'm reading @weeksy's loud exhaust or bicycle bell thread.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 am It fucks me right off when people overtake closely you on a pushbike going flat out with no prior warning, especially when 3 year old baby D is with me.
Is that why you always dress like a city gent - and carry a brolly to accidentally stick in their spokes?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: