We are free......

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dodgy69

Re: We are free......

Post by Dodgy69 »

I also saw an interview on itv news. This question was asked and confirmed all good.

Thinking further, maybe the latest rules are only for folks with common sence abilities and those with none, same home. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ive heard a couple of people trot out the old saying that "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools".

The first time I ever heard that was from Douglas Bader, probably his autobiography.

If you don't know who he was, why he was famous (there was a biopic too), and what initiated it all, look him up ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 pm I'm gonna burgle your house and steal your bike. I'm not gonna be bound by stupid rules.
Tell me good Sir, have you ever exceeded the speed limit on your motorcycle ?
Brian
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

hilldweller wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am
Yorick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 pm I'm gonna burgle your house and steal your bike. I'm not gonna be bound by stupid rules.
Tell me good Sir, have you ever exceeded the speed limit on your motorcycle ?
Have you ever tried explaining your perfect right to only obey laws you like to a police officer or court? :D
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Horse wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 am Ive heard a couple of people trot out the old saying that "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools".

The first time I ever heard that was from Douglas Bader, probably his autobiography.

If you don't know who he was, why he was famous (there was a biopic too), and what initiated it all, look him up ;)
There’s a significant difference between ‘rules’ and ‘laws’ and in the case of coronavirus a lot of people have been interpreting ‘law’ into ‘rules’ very often driven by some moral superiority ( see lots of people going to the beach to report all stressy that the beach was full of people going to the beach) . The law now permits ( in England) unlimited travel either for exercise or to access open space ( ie no requirement to do any exercise when you get where you are going) .

Rules form a framework of guidance, often without consequences for ignoring them. Breaking Laws can lead to consequences so people going out need to know the law rather than what other people might consider is wise or morally correct.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Well, Bader broke military rules - possibly similar to a civvie breaking laws?

There were fairly immediate consequences from his decision. Whether there were tribunal consequences, I don't know.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Tbh... The Government are a complete shower...Can i, carnt i travel, should of been a very simple piece of guidance to update the nation, but afraid not. Remember Boris's speech, it created more questions than answers and a lot of much cleverer folk than i said the same. The mans a buffoon.

What I do find rather odd, is that for a motorcycle forum, many folk are looking for reasons 'not to ride'. I didn't need much encouragement, I was waiting for the easing of lockdown and couldn't wait to get out on the bike for a jolly.

Boris's actual speech didn't tell us much we could make any sense of, but subsequent news interviews and a bit of reading, told me all I needed to know.

Anyway, if this 2 metre rule has to stay in place, we will all die out and be left with inbreds only.

Enjoy your time. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

I posted a link to it. No idea which thread though.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Brian
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Gedge wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm
Horse wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 am Ive heard a couple of people trot out the old saying that "rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools".

There’s a significant difference between ‘rules’ and ‘laws’ and in the case of coronavirus a lot of people have been interpreting ‘law’ into ‘rules’ very often driven by some moral superiority ( see lots of people going to the beach to report all stressy that the beach was full of people going to the beach) . The law now permits ( in England) unlimited travel either for exercise or to access open space ( ie no requirement to do any exercise when you get where you are going) .

Rules form a framework of guidance, often without consequences for ignoring them. Breaking Laws can lead to consequences so people going out need to know the law rather than what other people might consider is wise or morally correct.
What’s your view on Trackdays starting up again ? Personally I don’t think they should and I won’t partake as when the inevitable fall off the marshalls and medics will be expected to get close to the rider. There’s also the issue of people not social distancing in the garages no matter what they say they are going to do.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Couchy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 pm
Gedge wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:42 pm

What’s your view on Trackdays starting up again ? Personally I don’t think they should and I won’t partake as when the inevitable fall off the marshalls and medics will be expected to get close to the rider. There’s also the issue of people not social distancing in the garages no matter what they say they are going to do.

Personally I think that’s track days offer very little risk as regard coronavirus ..Marshalls can easily take sensible precaution since should they have to interact with a rider ..( face mask and gloves plus a bottle of hand cleanser) ..risk of catching the virus outdoors Ian much lower than in a confined space ( I read somewhere it was 18 times safer? ) . Everyday, paramedics,
Police Officers, teachers and countless other workers have to get close and often without PPE so I don’t see it a second a high risk activity. Of course the law currently doesn’t recognise group sports or motor sorts as exercise so it’s not ( to my understanding) currently legal but I would be happy to see it added to the list of safe activities .
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

As a kid he was my hero and inspiration to try and become a RAF Pilot having read the biography when i was about 10 ...... His middle 2 names are coincidentally my full name :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm
As a kid he was my hero and inspiration to try and become a RAF Pilot having read the biography when i was about 10 ...... His middle 2 names are coincidentally my full name :)
Douglas Big Yin Bader?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Personally I think that track days offer very little risk as regards coronavirus ..Marshalls can easily take sensible precautions should they have to interact with a rider.( face mask and gloves plus a bottle of hand cleanser) .the risk of catching the virus outdoors is much lower than in a confined space ( I read somewhere it was 18 times safer? ) . Everyday paramedics,Police Officers, teachers and countless other workers have to get close and often without PPE so I don’t see it as a high risk activity. Of course the law currently doesn’t recognise group sports or motor sorts as exercise so it’s not ( to my understanding) currently legal but I would be happy to see it added to the list of safe activities .

I think I missed the window to edit the original post and it was so full of autocorrect/ autocomplete errors that it made no sense
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Gedge wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:32 am Personally I think that track days offer very little risk as regards coronavirus ..Marshalls can easily take sensible precautions should they have to interact with a rider.( face mask and gloves plus a bottle of hand cleanser) .the risk of catching the virus outdoors is much lower than in a confined space ( I read somewhere it was 18 times safer? ) . Everyday paramedics,Police Officers, teachers and countless other workers have to get close and often without PPE so I don’t see it as a high risk activity. Of course the law currently doesn’t recognise group sports or motor sorts as exercise so it’s not ( to my understanding) currently legal but I would be happy to see it added to the list of safe activities .

I think I missed the window to edit the original post and it was so full of autocorrect/ autocomplete errors that it made no sense
Interesting as there's loads starting from Tuesday
twids

Post by twids »

It's been a strange old week with regards to what we can and can't do hasn't it? It's almost like we're being treated like adults again and left to make our minds up!

I've not been out on a bike yet, but then my riding before this was almost always to get to work via the scenic route, I found it hard to find the time otherwise to go for a ride. I think If I do it'll be about not taking too many risks, probably a steady ride, a little bit slower staying away from the more popular routes.

The chaps in our local MTB have been having similar conversations, most have opted for longer XC rides rather than too much of the DH stuff we've up on the Mendips.

The above is all because I'd rather not end up needing hospital treatment at the moment and catching the virus that way rather than catching it via outdoor activities.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm
Bigyin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm
Douglas Big Yin Bader?
I thought of a much ruder version :mrgreen:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Gedge wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:32 am I would be happy to see it added to the list of safe activities .

Add racing a bike on track to a list of safe activities.

Got to smile at that.
Brian
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

inewham wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:02 pm It's probably safer than the road at the moment.
I think it always is, but I can't help thinking Sir Humphrey would have a fit if asked to officially list track days as safe.

Drivers, well it's up to us to avoid them. I see the YouTube crash videos, especially the British ones, where aggressive bikers can easily see then a car is about to do something stupid yet they carry on, swear and start flashing their lights. Survival is about spotting them and letting them do their thing.
Brian
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

At the moment you've really got to have your wits about you... Me and a mate had a ride down to the Malvern hills, Ledbury, Red Marley area. Blowing a gale all day, intermittent showers but nice and bright.

White van man pulled out into my mates path, I'm behind. No collision but bloody close. Straight section of road, very good visibility, no excuses.

Just aswel we don't have the same gun laws as US. They'd be one less WVM. 🤬
Yamaha rocket 3