Good days ride...

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Dodgy69

Good days ride...

Post by Dodgy69 »

Mortimer road.

Derwent reservoir.

From Shawbury, up to Glossop via buxton, and looping across the top, down Mortimer road and snake pass back to Glossop, stopping off at Derwent reservoir. Getting lost near stockport but found our way to Holmes chapel, Nantwich and back to hot and sunny Shawbury.

Aching and pretty knackered tbh. Quite a few bikes about, some small gatherings, yep, bit naughty but we kept out of the way. All in all, a good day's ride. ๐Ÿ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
Bomble

Re: Good days ride...

Post by Bomble »

Cracking roads round there, I love the Derwent/Ladybower area for bikes and mtbs. I think the strines is one of my favourite roads, been down it a million times but I seem to have a mental block about remembering whatโ€™s next๐Ÿ˜‚
Will probably be down there this aft hopefully ๐Ÿ‘
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Is the strines mortimer road.?? cos we joined from top, beautiful little stretch connecting to Mortimer. Rode down but short stretch was shut and divert required. Rejoined and down to a57.. lovely roads .

I've come to the conclusion, what bike your on don't matter, it's the road that matter. ๐Ÿ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

When I went this evening I ignored the closed road signs, was easily passable for a bike, no workers after 6pm and only two small holes with plenty of safe tarmac between :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Strines/Mortimer road was all resurfaced when it was used as a stage for the TdF.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Thanks kfb...always watched the tdf since little kid. Don't watch any others, just tdf. Don't know why..๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. Going to the malvern hills Saturday, never been proper, weather good by all accounts. Buttys and water bottle, ๐Ÿ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Dodgy knees wrote: โ†‘Tue May 19, 2020 9:02 pm and snake pass back to Glossop,
It's hard to beat the Snake on a sunny day.

Were the cafe and toilets below the dam open ?

I screwed up big time round there one day. I said to myself "what are they giving away today, never seen so many cars". On the news that night there were pictures of a Lancaster coming over the dam and I just missed it.
Brian
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Not sure but cafe in layby gone. Nice lady used to run it. Opposite ladybower reservoir.
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

This is my local loop.

https://goo.gl/maps/FiXHdB69Qut2RZ7p6

Have a stop in the car park at the top of Holme Moss to take in the views.

When it's not locked down, you can also stop at the cafe at the Upper Derwent visitors centre and buy seed to feed the ducks...

Last edited by KungFooBob on Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep.. saw the left for Homfirth but would be going further out of our way. Thought it had potential. It's a bit of a treck from home just getting to glossop. Did have a trip sorted, 3 nights out, been cancelled. Going through national parks, Yorkshire, then Northumberland, then west to Dumfries and Galloway, back through lakes and home, maybe later.
Yamaha rocket 3
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Yesterday๐Ÿ‘
Attachments
49CC93B1-DF40-46F7-B056-F056351FC1DC.jpeg
49CC93B1-DF40-46F7-B056-F056351FC1DC.jpeg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Blue helmet on a red bike ? *plonk*

;)
millemille

Post by millemille »

My stamping ground, both mtb and motorbike.

Strines, on a bike with mandlebars, sticky tyres and a good throttle/rear wheel connection, is simply glorious. Just watch out for the fucking peacocks at the Strines Inn as they wander on to the road and seem to instinctively know where the apex of a blind bend is and plonk themselves there...

The B6105 that runs from the Woodhead Pass to Glossop is another bit of awesome road in a similar vein to Strines.

The A625 up from Calver, through Froggat and up to the Wooden Pole is as good as the best Alpine roads anywhere in the world. Oh for it being longer!

The B6049 from the A6, through Millers Dale up to Tideswell then across the Chapel road and down to Bradwell and the Hope road is another good 'un.

And don't get me started on the A5004/Fernilee Road/Long hill. Gert lush!
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

weeksy wrote: โ†‘Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 am Blue helmet on a red bike ? *plonk*

;)
๐Ÿ˜‚ Weirdly enough I have been looking at helmets this week๐Ÿ‘ Anyway you have only one mirror๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

millemille wrote: โ†‘Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm My stamping ground, both mtb and motorbike.

Strines, on a bike with mandlebars, sticky tyres and a good throttle/rear wheel connection, is simply glorious. Just watch out for the fucking peacocks at the Strines Inn as they wander on to the road and seem to instinctively know where the apex of a blind bend is and plonk themselves there...

The B6105 that runs from the Woodhead Pass to Glossop is another bit of awesome road in a similar vein to Strines.

The A625 up from Calver, through Froggat and up to the Wooden Pole is as good as the best Alpine roads anywhere in the world. Oh for it being longer!

The B6049 from the A6, through Millers Dale up to Tideswell then across the Chapel road and down to Bradwell and the Hope road is another good 'un.

Good choices, is it me or is Millers Dale always freezing cold๐Ÿ˜€ You forgot the A54 from the cat to Congleton, definitely one of my favourites.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Bomble wrote: โ†‘Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm
millemille wrote: โ†‘Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm My stamping ground, both mtb and motorbike.

Good choices, is it me or is Millers Dale always freezing cold๐Ÿ˜€ You forgot the A54 from the cat to Congleton, definitely one of my favourites.
The A54 is a nice bit of road, but the average speed cameras up at the Cat end spoil if for me.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm moving to Japan !!!

millemille

Post by millemille »

weeksy wrote: โ†‘Fri May 22, 2020 7:51 am I'm moving to Japan !!!

Nice bit of road. We've got roads like that in the Peak District, maybe not as long but just as enjoyable.

One thing that does bug me about that video, and many others I've seen, is riders who are on supermoto's who ride them like sports bikes. THEY DON'T WORK IF YOU RIDE THEM LIKE THAT.

Sit right over the front of the bike, push the bike down underneath you and stick a leg out.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

weeksy wrote: โ†‘Fri May 22, 2020 7:51 am I'm moving to Japan !!!
I would not offer life insurance to the camera rider. He's riding just like the useless yanks you see in crash videos who love taking off into the scenery.

But the lead rider, Mr Smooth.
Brian
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

That's not a twisty road, this is a twisty road...

From the days before HD or Hero cameras.

That was my DV Camcorder trapped to the rear seat!