Bike shops near High Wycombe

Anything you like about motorbikes
Supermofo

Bike shops near High Wycombe

Post by Supermofo »

Gonna google anyway but personal recommendation is always better.

My mate is thinking of getting another bike (first since the early noughties) and as bike shops open from the 12th I said I go with him to a couple to see what's about and what things look like in the flesh.

I know Powerbiking is in HW and On Yer Bike in Aylesbury isn't far. Wooburn Green. Any others?

He is in Holmer Green.
KungFooBob

Re: Bike shops near High Wycombe

Post by KungFooBob »

Just go straight to the local Ducati dealer for a Panigale V4!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 pm Just go straight to the local Ducati dealer for a Panigale V4!
Of course, silly me! :D

Found him a nice Street Trip so far.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Don't use the place i used. They've got loads of GSXRs on Ebay in Great Missenden.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

There are a couple of decent old-school servicing/repair/tuning places around here (MSG Racing and CTM Automotive ) , but Powerbiking and OnYerBike are the only places reasonably local to HW if you want to buy (or look at buying) a bike.
As Weeksy says there is a place on the site of an old petrol station / car-wash on the A413 between Gt Missenden and Amersham that sells used sports bikes but it looks like a bit of a pikey outfit.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

This caught my eye in Wooburn Green
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-detai ... =price-asc
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm This caught my eye in Wooburn Green
Never even knew they are there, have got some nice looking stock :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tricky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm
Supermofo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:45 pm This caught my eye in Wooburn Green
Never even knew they are there, have got some nice looking stock :thumbup:
Yeah I've never been there but over the years I've noticed they have some decent bikes. My mate is really taken with that Street Trip so if it's still there in a week and a half I reckon we'll be in there to look at it.

Powerbiking have some decent 2nd hand stock in budget too. I notice that have a 2017 650 Ninja with less than 200 miles on it, a few MT07's and a Monster which I know he likes too. Think his favourite is a Street Trip though.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Didn't realise there were so many locals on here 👍 & had forgotten about Wooburn Green m/cycles seems they've got a couple of retro triumphs a mate may be interested in.

For servicing I can recommend PGB motorcycles up on the Cressex Estate 👍
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well that's ruined my day of bike shop browsing. He bought the Street Triple over the phone yesterday!

That's the 2nd bike I've found for someone in a month, I should charge a finders fee (other was a Tracer 7 for a mates Mrs).

Pending on the weather we might be able to have a ride instead. Although it'll be the first ride I've done with someone just back to biking, can't remember the last ride I've done where the others have under 15-20 years+ riding experience.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am Well that's ruined my day of bike shop browsing. He bought the Street Triple over the phone yesterday!

That's the 2nd bike I've found for someone in a month, I should charge a finders fee (other was a Tracer 7 for a mates Mrs).

Pending on the weather we might be able to have a ride instead. Although it'll be the first ride I've done with someone just back to biking, can't remember the last ride I've done where the others have under 15-20 years+ riding experience.
Depending on how he gets on, you might want to point him in the direction of www.survivalskills.co.uk :)

As well as running courses for returning riders, I happen to have some excellent training routes right on your doorstep ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 am Well that's ruined my day of bike shop browsing. He bought the Street Triple over the phone yesterday!

Depending on how he gets on, you might want to point him in the direction of www.survivalskills.co.uk :)

As well as running courses for returning riders, I happen to have some excellent training routes right on your doorstep ;)
Funnily enough I did mention he should probably try some sort of return to ride training, I'll mention it to him :thumbup: Previously he didn't have a bike so I was gonna recommend he ask Powerbiking as they have a training school with their own bikes so he could wobble about on a caged up MT07 or something whilst he remembers what to do with his hands and feet, but now he has his own bike the worlds his crusty lobster :D

If we do ride I'll be going slowly. Be interesting to see what he does. He doesn't have a good safety record and tends to have a flat out/stop view of progress in cars and a long time ago bikes. But he is now in his 40s with 3 kids so hopefully he'll be a bit more sensible.....maybe.
The Spin Doctor

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 am
Funnily enough I did mention he should probably try some sort of return to ride training, I'll mention it to him :thumbup: Previously he didn't have a bike so I was gonna recommend he ask Powerbiking as they have a training school with their own bikes so he could wobble about on a caged up MT07 or something whilst he remembers what to do with his hands and feet, but now he has his own bike the worlds his crusty lobster :D

If we do ride I'll be going slowly. Be interesting to see what he does. He doesn't have a good safety record and tends to have a flat out/stop view of progress in cars and a long time ago bikes. But he is now in his 40s with 3 kids so hopefully he'll be a bit more sensible.....maybe.
Hopefully he'll have recalibrated his Mortality Meter.

The thing I find helps riders with that kind of history is to show that that 'safe' riding isn't about creeping about like an old granny - something I was saying to Weeksy just the other day - but learning where SLOW is a good idea... then when you have a look at a bit of road and can't see any of the "this is where I should slow down" clues, you can wind it open a bit ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am but learning where SLOW is a good idea
I'm guessing that doesn't usually include in training but should, looking at the tits on show on Cannes beach whilst riding in traffic. I barely bailed him out of that in time. He ended up diving between the curb and the car door whilst doing a MASSIVE stoppie on his SV650 :lol:

When we got to our destination I pointed out he was looking at lots of tits whereas I was just looking at the massive one on the SV in front so he didn't hit anything :D
The Spin Doctor

Supermofo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:36 pm I'm guessing that doesn't usually include in training but should, looking at the tits on show on Cannes beach whilst riding in traffic. I barely bailed him out of that in time. He ended up diving between the curb and the car door whilst doing a MASSIVE stoppie on his SV650 :lol:

When we got to our destination I pointed out he was looking at lots of tits whereas I was just looking at the massive one on the SV in front so he didn't hit anything :D
LOL... reminds me of following a rider who was completely oblivious to the driver who almost pulled out on him at a junction - I stopped that one by hitting the horn behind him... but had absolutely NO trouble spotting then rubber-necking the two scantily clad girls a couple of hundred metres further down the same road.
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Is Dave Wood Racing still selling bikes or only sset up and fixing?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:10 am

Well he lasted 3 rides :( One with a neighbour last weekend, once mid week then yesterday....

So met him at St Albans but we were running tight for time for meeting the guys at On Yer Bike if we went off the beaten path so I said I'll lead and we'll go the direct route up the A41 so no rush. Through Hemel he was fine including the infamous magic roundabout, onto the A41 and all good.

As we came into Aylesbury the A41 has a roundabout and goes from dual carriageway to single. I slowed went round the roundabout and then checked my mirror to check he was OK just in time to see him and the bike sliding along towards the outer kerb. Bollocks :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pulled over and ran back and first thing I see Is him standing up unhurt so that was a win of sorts, any crash without proper injury is a result. Further examination showed he'd lost skin on his elbow (jacket outer went through), sore shoulder and ankle. He'd punched a hole in his bullit jeans with a key in his pocket but other than that they were unmarked so did their job.

The bike is fucked. Engine case wore through, clutch cover is fucked, tank scraped, bar end, headlight scuffed, rear panel broken, rad cover scuffed, all right hand levers and the paddock stand bobbin snapped its housing. All repairable and fixable but he had it recovered to insurers so I reckon its gone.

Asked him what happened and he said he lent over but caught his foot on the road, he thought as he was leaning over so far but looking at the height of the pegs I suspect he was doing a side show bob foot rather than balls of foot on the peg. Plus we weren't going fast enough to have leant that far over. I was riding a fair bit slower than normal conscious of his lack of experience and I definitely was no where near peg down lean. Anyway bottom line he then sat the bike up and was running to the outside of the kerb and hit the brakes and :angry-cussingblack:

So that was a massive shitter. Been beating myself up thinking maybe I should have ridden even slower but we weren't riding at speed so don't think it's that. Must admit given his past history on bikes when he did drop it a few times in the 2 years he rode and now this and do wonder if biking is for him.

I can't see his Mrs letting him get back on as she was dead against it but I'm not sure I want him to either. Although I feel horrible saying it.

So yeah bit shit. But at least he is ok
The Spin Doctor

That's a bummer... I've led group rides at what I felt was a very modest pace and still have people throw themselves into ditches - one memorable VD ride required the services of the Humberside air ambulance. It's tough to know what else you can do when someone fails to negotiate a corner at sub-30 mph and bounces off a tractor!

When training I have a choice and it's why I don't lead trainees until I know what they can do, and then only to demo a specific point at a very comfortable speed. I always worry when I see an instructor leading two L platers.

Suddenly a couple of hundred quid for a course looks cheap :(
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I was out on a group ride years ago and a rider who was lacking in confidence decided he couldn't get round a corner, sat the bike up and rode straight into a ditch, this happened in front of me, the bike was an FZR600R and was barely leant over.
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Just out of curiosity... did his training school teach him counter-steering?

And I'd be interested to know the make and the model of the jacket. If he'd share photos (anonymously is fine) I'd like to have a look at the damage.