Working from Home?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
WelshDragon

Re: Working from Home?

Post by WelshDragon »

636mick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:12 pm
WelshDragon wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Are you anywhere near the M20, M25 or M4? If you are and purely on a selfish note would you do everything humanly possible to keep them all running nice and smoothly on Saturday pretty please..... :lol:
Ha, no, M1, Northamptonshire mostly, sorry!
Mick
Shame. We used to live in Milton Keynes and know the M1 well....... :D
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

As of this evening, working from home. I hate it and what's worse is I get grief for being at home messing up the routine ffs.
I work in biologics / pharmaceuticals and it kind of makes sense, protect the product and the patients, but still makes me less than happy.
Mind you, being away from the drama queens and doomsday mongers is a bonus.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

I've knocked one out three times today. I'll give it a rest for a while.

Just put my reading glasses on. Sorry about that. I mis read working.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Yup for the foreseeable. I'll be bored of it by Friday :(

On the plus side all the WFH'ers on my street are stepping outside for a coffee at 3pm tomorrow. I assume we'll be keeping the regulatory two metres apart so will be yelling at each other over brews. May help stave off the cabin fever if it becomes a thing though.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

No chance at all of working from home and the place I'm currently building is closing to the public in two days.
I assume its still going to be open to us builders but I'm not sure yet.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Thought I might buy a second monitor from amazon, but all the ones available on prime are out of stock. Seems people are panic buying those too.

Balls to it, I'll make do with the laptop screen for now then.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

McNab wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:58 am Thought I might buy a second monitor from amazon, but all the ones available on prime are out of stock. Seems people are panic buying those too.
I not only brought my monitor home I also brought my chair home. The headrest is held on with two cable ties and one arm rest by two big wood screws. Now its at home I might give it a bit of a hovver and tune up.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Looks like the wife and daughters (teacher) schools will be closing soon. Daughter only has 17 kids in her class and and they are talking about combining classes. Bang goes my peaceful WFH.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Working from home has always been an option which I tend to use from time to time as need arises.

Just finished a dial-in where I’m now home-based for the foreseeable which I don’t mind but I do worry about the future of my local office, because if it is a success over the long term for all staff, there will be no need for a physical presence...
Horse

Post by Horse »

GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 am Looks like the wife and daughters (teacher) schools will be closing soon. Daughter only has 17 kids in her class and and they are talking about combining classes. Bang goes my peaceful WFH.
Education Union have just released a proposal that schools take on the role, effectively, of care centres for children of those who are needed to keep essential services (including food delivery, manufacturing, etc. as well as NHS etc.) and to ensure that kids on free meals still receive them.

News now reporting government decision on schools soon.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
flicker

Post by flicker »

No possibility of working from home but we've been split in to two teams and will now be working one week on one week off. Youngest has already been pulled out of college and I'll be picking up the eldest from uni tomorrow evening.
Mrs F is already in lock down as she's particularly vulnerable, diagnosed with an auto immune disease 15 years ago, no immune system, lung issues etc
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Thing is, I'm self isolating because I'm in a high risk group (medical, not age) and I don't want the wife or daughter continuing to mix with potential kids that are carrying it. I've already told the wife sh's going to have to sleep in the spare bed
Bobble

Post by Bobble »

We've just heard that tomorrow is the last day in the office for at least the next month..... :shock:
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

My WFH is now spoilt. Daughter and wifes schools are now shut so have got them both here. Daughter is at the dining table setting work remotely for her pupils and marking/report writing. kids seem keen, some had even done the work she set on Saturday.

I've done a a couple of emails and spoken with a client about site visits this coming week. Just waiting for our 10 o clock conference video and the possible letter/text from the NHS to confirming if I'm in the high risk group or not (I have a comprised immune system). If I do get it, then thats the sites visits out the window.
Horse

Post by Horse »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 am kids seem keen, some had even done the work she set on Saturday.
['tutting' noise] Youth of today, eh? . . . I blame the teachers

;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Come 4 I'm packing in WFH and going to commute, not sure where I'm going yet but I'll end up back here.
Val

Post by Val »

I'm in IT working remotely with the US, Australia, EMEA, Malaysia, China, Japan, Brasil and pretty much 120 countries.

Working from home makes no difference to me. And is probably better for the environment now I don't use any fuel going to the office.

And our offices are officially closed in London because of Covid19.

I can't find any good reason why big corporations like mine have offices anyway. Just a waste of resources.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:52 pm I only pop into the office / lab twice a week now.
If (as a wheezy asthmatic) I have to go into lock down for 12 weeks it'll be interesting, might have to make arrangements to have some lab time once a week maybe with no one else in.
Confirmed, I'm only to go into the lab during specified hours 1 day a week until further notice.
Ain't not no skin off my nose, I've been WFH for a decade or more, I love it, my internet is better than my employers. :ugeek:

The only thing I need to bear in mind is shutting down at the end of the day, I work / deal with global clients so stuff is waiting for me from the far east in the morning and the yanks always want you to hang on just a little longer at the end of the day
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

The job I used to do meant that there were times where it was beneficial to work from home. I always found that without the distraction of people phoning and looking at emails that I managed to get 8 hours done in 6. It was easier to concentrate and not get distracted from what I was doing. I still used to shut myself off in one room, even though I was on my own.

I cn certainly appreciate though the distraction of children and other halves if they’re around........ :o
Last edited by WelshDragon on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

It was quite interesting too when I got my last job as my predecessor had banned all work from home for the staff. They were required to take leave for boiler service appointments and stuff like that, which I really couldn’t fathom. I was quite happy for them to work at home if they needed to. They actually found it difficult to start with because they hadn’t been trusted to do it before! We were a results driven team, like most are, and so it would be obvious if the work wasn’t done. In the end they put more work in because they were given free rein to do so and felt as if they were getting something back. I had an awesome team and I really enjoyed working with them. :D