What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am For those of us with Gluten intolerance all these pictures of fantastic looking cakes are cruel and unusual punishment.
Trinity765 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 am
That was an old picture. I have a gluten intolerance and gave it up two years ago. It crept back into my diet over lockdown (pancakes mainly) and then I remembered why I stopped eating it so I'm almost back to zero gluten again :cry:

There are no decent substitutes.

I've made cake for coeliacs very successfully!!

Not discounting the symptoms you both get, but I had a lot of guests who were gluten intolerant, (so required a complete menu adjustment/change) but who would tuck into french bread because "it looks so lovely and just a little bit will be ok". If a little bit will be ok, WTF am I changing the whole menu (down to stock cubes) to account for your intolerance!!!

BUT - the two serious coeliacs that stayed didn't actually believe that my cakes for afternoon tea were gluten free. Both their hubbies were testers and reckoned they could tell - they couldn't!!!

So, certainly for some, there are things that work!!!

I'll try and get some gluten free flour next time I'm down the mountain and see if I can make pastries with it that taste as near the same as possible!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Shopped round for a leg of lamb for Sunday. Finally found a butchers with one to sell! Was getting panicky at one point! :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:15 pm Shopped round for a leg of lamb for Sunday. Finally found a butchers with one to sell! Was getting panicky at one point! :D
Went shopping on Monday, Tesco had none. Back in stock on Wednesday- half price :thumbup:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Noggin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:07 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am For those of us with Gluten intolerance all these pictures of fantastic looking cakes are cruel and unusual punishment.
Trinity765 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:00 am
That was an old picture. I have a gluten intolerance and gave it up two years ago. It crept back into my diet over lockdown (pancakes mainly) and then I remembered why I stopped eating it so I'm almost back to zero gluten again :cry:

There are no decent substitutes.

I've made cake for coeliacs very successfully!!

Not discounting the symptoms you both get, but I had a lot of guests who were gluten intolerant, (so required a complete menu adjustment/change) but who would tuck into french bread because "it looks so lovely and just a little bit will be ok". If a little bit will be ok, WTF am I changing the whole menu (down to stock cubes) to account for your intolerance!!!

BUT - the two serious coeliacs that stayed didn't actually believe that my cakes for afternoon tea were gluten free. Both their hubbies were testers and reckoned they could tell - they couldn't!!!

So, certainly for some, there are things that work!!!

I'll try and get some gluten free flour next time I'm down the mountain and see if I can make pastries with it that taste as near the same as possible!!
6-8 hours after I've eaten gluten:

Holy shit, that's gonna eat through the hull.........
Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 20.25.54.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 20.25.54.jpg (1023.92 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Yup - the two girls that liked my cake said the same thing. I did a gluten free first meal but asked them at dinner just how strict I needed to be (given previous experience with people who said they were coeliac and/or intolerant) and the response was "if you use a normal stock cube in the meal, we'll both be puking within 30 mins" :o :o :o

I learnt to make decent gluten free cakes and the rest of the meals after that!!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Noggin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Yup - the two girls that liked my cake said the same thing. I did a gluten free first meal but asked them at dinner just how strict I needed to be (given previous experience with people who said they were coeliac and/or intolerant) and the response was "if you use a normal stock cube in the meal, we'll both be puking within 30 mins" :o :o :o

I learnt to make decent gluten free cakes and the rest of the meals after that!!! LOL
There's a big difference between gluten intolerant and coeliac. Gluten damages the intestinal wall of people who have coeliac disease while people who are intolerant get mild symptoms.

Real coeliacs are getting a bit pissed off people going into cafes and restaurants, saying they don't want any gluten and then sneaking in a bit of cake which isn't something a coeliac could do. So, I usually make it clear, I'm not a coeliac, I just try to avoid gluten as gluten makes me feel a bit "uncomfortable".

Wessons biker cafe, Horam used to do a really good gluten free cake but they sold up. It's now The Horam Emporium with the Tpodz (what?) Tearoom who look a bit scared when bikers come in - its not the same ambiance. Cyclists welcome though.
Lockdown refugee
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:03 am
Noggin wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:58 pm

There's a big difference between gluten intolerant and coeliac. Gluten damages the intestinal wall of people who have coeliac disease while people who are intolerant get mild symptoms.

Real coeliacs are getting a bit pissed off people going into cafes and restaurants, saying they don't want any gluten and then sneaking in a bit of cake which isn't something a coeliac could do. So, I usually make it clear, I'm not a coeliac, I just try to avoid gluten as gluten makes me feel a bit "uncomfortable".

Wessons biker cafe, Horam used to do a really good gluten free cake but they sold up. It's now The Horam Emporium with the Tpodz (what?) Tearoom who look a bit scared when bikers come in - its not the same ambiance. Cyclists welcome though.
Yup. It's why I used to check with guests. After the first season of doing a totally separate menu only to watch someone who requested that menu then eat cake or baguette etc it all wore a bit thin. I'm happy to do gluten free, but if someone says they are coeliac on the booking form then eats break etc, that seriously used to piss me off!!! (the worst offender had written coeliac on the booking form, constantly had cake and bread and wouldn't eat the oat based cheesecake I'd made just for her for the first night as she wasn't able to cope with the minimal gluten in oats - but still ate bits of bread and cake :roll: :roll: :roll:
AND - because one couple in the chalet were pissed off at not being able to ski cos of the weather they wrote a complaint where they complained about anything and everything, mostly made up but including dissatisfaction that the lifts were closed due to bad weather AND that I couldn't tell them which ones were open, despite me giving them the website to check and the option of going to the snow front to check the info board :roll: :roll: But they complained that there wasn't a homemade gluten free cake for the (non) coeliac :o :o :o Fukkers!! I'd explained often that we'd been to the valley on more than one occasion and couldn't buy gluten free flour :angry-cussingblack:

The last two that really were coeliac had booked the chalet with their husbands and other couples who were friends. So I actually did the whole menu as gluten free (basically 4 of 8 wanted gluten free - husbands avoided gluten in general too) and it was quite interesting as I was able to make the meal almost the same without the thickener/flour/stock cubes/other stuff with gluten, so it was a really good week. And they were really helpful - going through our menu to help me check that there was nothing that had surprise gluten in it!!

Coeliac and gluten intolerance are two wildly different animals - but I do hate people that say they are the worst version and then eat food they've said they can't because "just a little won't be too bad"!! :roll:

And don't mention sodding vegetarians who take bacon in the morning because - It smells soooo good!! :shock: :obscene-birdiedoublered: - another host told me to just say - there isn't enough bacon for you to have any because we haven't catered for you due to you saying that you are vegetarian!!! :lol: :lol:
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Bought a new phone. I used to care more about these things and have my finger on the pulse, now it just seems that every couple of years when I buy a new handset it's an even bigger minefield to wade through, compare models and features etc. Anyway the old phone (Motorola Moto G7 Plus) is 2 years old next month and starting to slow down and the battery life isn't as near as good as it used to be. My budget was £350, which these days only gets you a mid-level Android device. Battery life and performance are the top two priorities, followed by camera and screen quality as I don't play games or watch films often. Shortlist seemed to be a lot of Chinese manufacturers I'd not heard of until today - RealMe, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo etc. I've no issue with this given most electronics are manufactured there anyway and the quality of the devices I've seen from
Hisense and Huawei but in the end I went with the Samsung A42 5G as it ticked the most boxes.

Five cameras...it's got FIVE fucking cameras. What a time to be alive...

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy ... -10412.php

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/ ... 26bzadeua/
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

derek badger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm Bought a new phone. I used to care more about these things and have my finger on the pulse, now it just seems that every couple of years when I buy a new handset it's an even bigger minefield to wade through, compare models and features etc. Anyway the old phone (Motorola Moto G7 Plus) is 2 years old next month and starting to slow down and the battery life isn't as near as good as it used to be. My budget was £350, which these days only gets you a mid-level Android device. Battery life and performance are the top two priorities, followed by camera and screen quality as I don't play games or watch films often. Shortlist seemed to be a lot of Chinese manufacturers I'd not heard of until today - RealMe, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo etc. I've no issue with this given most electronics are manufactured there anyway and the quality of the devices I've seen from
Hisense and Huawei but in the end I went with the Samsung A42 5G as it ticked the most boxes.

I hate manufacturers making changes to Android for the sake of it, I always try to get a near vanilla version to make like easier, so OnePlus, Oppo etc.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Mussels wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:49 pm
derek badger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:09 pm Bought a new phone. I used to care more about these things and have my finger on the pulse, now it just seems that every couple of years when I buy a new handset it's an even bigger minefield to wade through, compare models and features etc. Anyway the old phone (Motorola Moto G7 Plus) is 2 years old next month and starting to slow down and the battery life isn't as near as good as it used to be. My budget was £350, which these days only gets you a mid-level Android device. Battery life and performance are the top two priorities, followed by camera and screen quality as I don't play games or watch films often. Shortlist seemed to be a lot of Chinese manufacturers I'd not heard of until today - RealMe, OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo etc. I've no issue with this given most electronics are manufactured there anyway and the quality of the devices I've seen from

I hate manufacturers making changes to Android for the sake of it, I always try to get a near vanilla version to make like easier, so OnePlus, Oppo etc.
I used to too, but it didn't leave me much choice in my price bracket, just the Google Pixel 4 and 4a 5g and maybe one other that didn't have a great spec. The Samsung UI doesn't seem to be too much like bloatware and they offer regular android patching.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've made two lots of hot cross buns, driven to a mates chalet to do a check on some of the electrics (not like Yorick's!!), just checking that stuff is on when it should be!) and booked a friend's second vaccine for three weeks.

Also had a chat with my cafe/bar manager and mentioned that, since the resort is now shut (well from tomorrow night :( ) I can use a friends garage to get my bike running. Conversation was something like -

T - what bike is it
- an old Ducati Monster 600
T - Oh wow, 2004?
- no 1 thousand 9 hundred and 80, 16!! (French numbers are FCKING STUPID!!!! ** )
T - Fantastic - the one with the single round headlight?
- that's it
T - I LOVE those!!!

Turns out that he's another guy I've chatted with for years and found out that he's a biker too. He has an old Triumph Thruxton and something I can't remember - two letters (I think) 400. Said the second is almost 40 years old!!

It's funny how the people I get on with best up here seem to be bikers!! :lol: Also means that when things are eased here and I can ride again, I have someone else to visit further south :D :D (He runs a restaurant in the summer that's about 5 hours from here)

For a sad day (another early closure to a season) it's been a good day :D

** numbers. Damn the numbers here get me everytime. Who the fck thought that saying 99 as 4 x 20 & 10, 9 FFS :roll: :roll: :roll:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 pm something I can't remember - two letters (I think) 400. Said the second is almost 40 years old!!
CB400 Honda? The famous '400 Four'.

Someone eloquently described as 'a sewing machine engine with bunch of bananas exhaust, topped by an ironing board for a seat'.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:47 pm something I can't remember - two letters (I think) 400. Said the second is almost 40 years old!!
CB400 Honda? The famous '400 Four'.

Someone eloquently described as 'a sewing machine engine with bunch of bananas exhaust, topped by an ironing board for a seat'.
Thta does describe what it looked like!! But when I google it, no. It was much smaller, very 'square'/boxy. I'll see him tomorrow and ask again!!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm CB400 Honda? The famous '400 Four'.

Thta does describe what it looked like!! But when I google it, no. It was much smaller, very 'square'/boxy. I'll see him tomorrow and ask again!!

Diddy little things.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The current range of 650 fours have the same style headers as the 400/4, which I thought was a nice touch by Honda.

Horse

Post by Horse »

Something that will swoosh past many!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:33 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm CB400 Honda? The famous '400 Four'.

Diddy little things.

That looks more like it! Will have to get him to show me the picture again as it doesn't look exactly right! LOL
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Fabulous day out of the lanes of Southern England with the boys, and @crust got caught on camera getting his polos out :lol:

Horse

Post by Horse »

Excellent! Sorry I can only give one 'like'!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That's awesome that she posted that. I always used to stop for horses coming the other way and wait for them to go past before starting up again (depending on the bike I'd turn the engine off). Slightly more difficult if going the same way but I'd bimble far back and wait for a bit of road I could pass on the other side safely and as quietly as possible! (But I spent my childhood riding horses on the road from about 8 - 16)

Kudos to you guys and and huge positives that the rider posted the story :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: