Full face recommendations?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
bob_summers

Full face recommendations?

Post by bob_summers »

Been out of the market so long i don't actually have a bike to ride it in hehe
Plain, or nearly, but not black or white. Fair weather only :1
Around 300 quid
Used to always buy Shoei but last time was over 10 years ago. Arais were too round, unsure if they still are.

Is this minging? I can't work out if I like it.?

weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Full face recommendations?

Post by weeksy »

I found Bell very uncomfortable.

Shoei NXR is great at your budget

Sportsbikeshop.com
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Whatever fits your bonce.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

I found when looking for a new helmet last year that there seems to be many more head shapes
even in single brand ranges. That makes it very difficult to recommend a helmet unless you have
tried it on first.
That said , i bought an Arai Chaser and my Gf wanted the same lid but found it uncomfortable.
The shop owner spent about 30 mins swapping out various thicknesses off lining pads until it
was a good fit and she has been very happy with it.
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Not sure about the vents in the top but otherwise quite like it. Like Weeksy, could never find a comfortable Bell helmet, motorcycle or bicycle.
Interesting that you found Arai’s too round, I always found the complete opposite, Shoei too round, Arai perfect for my elongated Alien shaped head. :lol:
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I've got a Shoei shaped head and I find X-lites fit me equally well. Currently wearing an X803-RR ultra carbon. Sportsbike shop are doing them at the moment at £360.

You might think there's no point in a carbon sports lid if you don't do that many miles but the X-Lite is incredibly light which makes a massive difference to fatigue, it has an excellent field of vision and it's very quiet for a sports helmet, almost as good as most sports touring lids so it actually makes a very good all rounder.
Visors and pinlocks for it aren't too expensive either, a good £30-40 cheaper for the pair than a comparable Shark or Arai
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Has anyone used a (modern) Bell lid? MCN gave the Bell Star helmet 5/5 for quality and value, and Bell lids get a lot of 5-star SHARP ratings too. But who knows whether to trust MCN reviews?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product- ... et-review/

Also, I noticed Bell helmets are among the few (only?) lids to use MIPS for brain protection. What with the new helmet standards incoming, I guess other brands will need to catch up with protecting our bonces from rotational forces.

When it comes to MIPS, those pesky cyclists are ahead of us :)
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Current Bell helmets certainly look to be good quality. I tried one on and it did appear very well made, but I also found it very uncomfortable. It pinched and bit everywhere and gave me an instant headache.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Not sure about the vent styling on the top but the rest of the styling looks ok .........that of course is no reason to buy one ;)

Go try on a load when the shops open as it will be a bit of a bugger to order one then find your head is the wrong shape and it pushes on your forehead or elsewhere

I must have a weird shaped head (apart from the usual ugly face jokes) as my current helmets are an Arai Tour X4 and Shoei Neotech 2 which both fit me perfectly. I cant wear AGV as they give me a headache after 5 minutes and push on my forehead
bob_summers

Post by bob_summers »

I'm not exactly sure why Arais never fit me, I definitely don't have a round head. Used to try them on all the time as I wanted the Dunlop replica and they just felt wrong. Consequently never really used anything other than Shoei apart from some mx lids.

None of the Bell vents close so those eyelets on the top will leak. But I don't intend on riding much in the rain or cold really, served my time doing that thanks :D

I'm leaning toward the NXR but I'd like to try the Bell.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

I wouldn't buy a helmet off the internet. There are too many variations of fit and you really need to get the feel of it, the weight, the visibility, the features etc. Plus if you don't keep the shops in business they won't be there next time you need to look at something in person, try it for fit, etc.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I'm a big Shark fan now, after having Arai and Shoei in the past. Next lid will be a Shark Spartan probably the carbon one or the new GT. Like this
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... t_cat/3267

Drop down visor means no need for 2 visors as well.

Try and wait for a shop to open though so you can try on different types. Sportsbikeshop also have 3 physical shops you can order stuff into for fit comparisons.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Sharp was mentioned earler:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tomcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:29 pm I wouldn't buy a helmet off the internet. There are too many variations of fit and you really need to get the feel of it, the weight, the visibility, the features etc. Plus if you don't keep the shops in business they won't be there next time you need to look at something in person, try it for fit, etc.
Sportsbikeshop do free returns and are also a local shop with 3 sites, so tick all the boxes ?

I'm struggling to think of anywhere apart from Busters who don't have a shop presence as well as an online one ?

Apart from me going to Swindon which don't actually stock Shoei, i wouldn't know where to go to try one one ?

Happily, my Shoei is a KTM one and i bought it from Premier Bikes at a crazy discount.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Sportsbikeshop do free returns and are also a local shop with 3 sites, so tick all the boxes ?

I'm struggling to think of anywhere apart from Busters who don't have a shop presence as well as an online one ?

Apart from me going to Swindon which don't actually stock Shoei, i wouldn't know where to go to try one one ?

Happily, my Shoei is a KTM one and i bought it from Premier Bikes at a crazy discount.
Pretty much every shop has an online presence, but if people go to those to try and then buy from the cheapest online deal I don't need to spell out the end result to you. My usual haunt is Helmet City Dorset, because it's a nice ride along the south coast to get there and because they have a pretty good range in stock to review and try on.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Pretty much every shop has an online presence, but if people go to those to try and then buy from the cheapest online deal I don't need to spell out the end result to you. My usual haunt is Helmet City Dorset, because it's a nice ride along the south coast to get there and because they have a pretty good range in stock to review and try on.
You know they've got a shop in Oxford now (well Kidlington to be precise)? Maybe not such a pleasant ride but certainly closer
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nidge wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

You know they've got a shop in Oxford now (well Kidlington to be precise)? Maybe not such a pleasant ride but certainly closer
Nopes... but interesting... not a terrible ride over by any means.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Tomcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm

[/quote

That's why they all do price match, even if they don't advertise it, they'll do it.
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:18 pm
That's why they all do price match, even if they don't advertise it, they'll do it.
I will admit that Infinity in Norwich knocked 50 quid off my Arai Astro when i bought it and said another place was doing it 50 quid less...... I expected them to knock off some of the difference, not all of it

I bought my Neotec 2 from Sportsbikeshop as i managed to hit 2 discount codes which they honoured knocking the price down by a third
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:18 pm That's why they all do price match, even if they don't advertise it, they'll do it.
You can't run a business on marginal sales. It's all very well saying it sells for more than it costs, but if your margins aren't there you won't cover the shop running costs. Internet sellers don't have the overheads of a showroom, in fact many don't even order the helmet until you buy it. So if you "price match" an internet seller you're basically cutting your own throat.