We are free......

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
hilldweller

We are free......

Post by hilldweller »

I've just been out to do a bit of shopping but mainly to ride.

Macclesfield, Congleton, Buxton, Macclesfield down the back roads, they are all outday in the bright sunshine.

The Cat n Fiddle was swamped with bikes and trikes, it was closed but that didn't stop all available parking being full of bikes.

Long may it continue.

Tomorrow, Matlock Bath I think.
Brian
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: We are free......

Post by weeksy »

Hmmmmm i'm cynical.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 pmHmmmmm i'm cynical.
Im skeptical. Just because you can, doesn't make it a great idea..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm all for riding the bike... but stopping, filling car parks and standing round chatting... Mmmm.

Of course they may have all been really well behaved and doing as they should... but the more people mix, well, we know how it potentially goes.
Skub

Post by Skub »

No freedom for us yet anyway,but even when the clamp comes off I'll be out on the bike,but I'll be nowhere near to congregations for the foreseeable future.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

I went out today, took a packed lunch and sat in the middle of nowhere with the Gf
having lunch.
Saw quite a few bikes which were all being ridden very sedately , I think most just wanted
to take in a change of scenery. I did pass a couple of biker hotspots and there were a few
bikers parked up talking which I thought was a bit disappointing.
Good day out though and much needed.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Chain and sprockets and chain riveter have arrived. Guess what I'm doing Saturday....
Stand by your beds DVLA. She's going back on the road.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm I'm all for riding the bike... but stopping, filling car parks and standing round chatting... Mmmm.
Fair enough. Since the Cat n Fiddle is right on a bend, at the top of a hill, I didn't get a chance to judge SD. I was too busy smiling to be honest. Life goes on, I saw optimism.

All the rest were on the road and obeying SD, as they would.

It wasn't only bikes, many cars were parked up at beauty spots, no crowds.

And also many many push-bikes nearly all solo.
Brian
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

We all need a bit of optimism sometimes that's for sure :thumbup:
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Some of the locals aren’t happy in Hawes, loads of bikes stopping there the last couple of days.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bomble wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:51 pm Some of the locals aren’t happy in Hawes, loads of bikes stopping there the last couple of days.
It seems that because the public toilets are closed, some bikers have been reliving themselves in the public carpark, which has caused OUTRAGE!
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:43 pm It seems that because the public toilets are closed, some bikers have been reliving themselves in the public carpark, which has caused OUTRAGE!
Some people really do worry about the small things. ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

We still haven’t ventured out! Jealous of those that have. We’re lucky enough to be able to get onto English roads within seconds and we’re hoping to get out on the weekend. The bike hasn’t been started since last November!

Avoiding people isn’t an issue for us as we’re happy to go off and have a picnic and a cup of tea on our own. It’s what we usually do but I hope we can manage to avoid everyone else! 8-)

Peeing behind a hedge isn’t an issue either, especially when you’ve got a bike helmet on. Seriously incognito!! :lol:
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

If anyone (in England at least) wants to ride their bike they can do. It's not obligatory to end up at a social meet every time you throw a leg over the saddle. You can just ride, feel the engine, taste the air and go home.
Time enough in the future for milling around kicking tyres, talking bollox and drinking too much bad coffee you didn't really want in the first place.
Just get out there and fill your lungs with God's clean and get some bugs on your visor.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm
The Cat n Fiddle was swamped with bikes and trikes, it was closed but that didn't stop all available parking being full of bikes.

Long may it continue.

Tomorrow, Matlock Bath I think.
Brilliant, lets all go on the bikes to the known bike sites and park up and meet up

FFS .....where is the triple facepalm pic

I have been riding all through the last 8 weeks of lockdown for legit reasons and nobody has given me a second look.......... cue these idiots and we all get tarred with the moron brush
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I was out yesterday for my first leisure ride since lockdown.Did end up meeting 2 mates in a lay by but very careful to maintain distancing. Lots of bikes on the road but never saw any gatherings parked up.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

and social distancing is all that matters anyway. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
stray cat

Post by stray cat »

We are planning to go for a ride on Sunday - just for a relaxed little round trip somewhere reasonably local; going to take a small flask of coffee and some semmidges and stop somewhere away from anyone else. I’ve not ridden for about 8 months ( :shock: ) due to shitty weather/forks being refurbed/lockdown etc so it will feel GREAT I know!
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 pm..... cue these idiots and we all get tarred with the moron brush
There are a lot of nasty people out there - take that nurse somewhere where they slashed her tyres because they thought she was breaking the lockdown.

I've mentioned going shopping and a bonus few miles, on another forum, to be met with "well you might fall off and then you'll be taking up an ambulance and taking up a bed needed by a CV19 patient". Talk about "Beam me up Scottie".

I've just back from B&Q collecting some lawn edging, 'er indoors insists we need a tidier lawn, this is the worst part of CV19 for me so far.
Brian
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

There aren't enough SNPolice to go round up here and definitely not enough to be patrolling the back roads of Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway (unless they're on Nasty Nic's Border patrol) so yesterday I went out for a 100 mile run. Reasonably sedate as farmers have got used to not competing with any traffic on the local roads but it was very odd being in the countryside again.

Ride safe everyone.