£3K Electrically Assisted MTB

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: £3K Electrically Assisted MTB

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

millemille wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:08 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm What do people think of this Haibike SDURO HardNine 8.0 2019 Electric Bike for £2.5K?
What kind of terrain are you likely to be riding on; Smooth surfaces (relatively) like fire-roads and old railway lines or proper gnar single track, big, long, steep hills or more gentle rolling terrain?
Fire roads and bridleways mostly, I've no desire to do motocross on a bicycle or go fast, it's for tootling through the countryside exploring, not for setting fastest laps round Tunstall Viking Trail
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:01 pm What do people think of this Haibike SDURO HardNine 8.0 2019 Electric Bike for £2.5K?
What kind of terrain are you likely to be riding on; Smooth surfaces (relatively) like fire-roads and old railway lines or proper gnar single track, big, long, steep hills or more gentle rolling terrain?
Fire roads and bridleways mostly, I've no desire to do motocross on a bicycle or go fast, it's for tootling through the countryside exploring, not for setting fastest laps round Tunstall Viking Trail
Will be great then
millemille

Post by millemille »

The reason for asking is...

E-bikes are, as sold, limited on maximum speed at which the assistance works; 15.5mph.

The large the bike's wheel diameter the less the rolling resistance is. Mtb's started at 26", have moved in the main to 27.5" but 29" is increasing in popularity and the difference between the sizes in terms of how well they roll is significant.

My Trek is a 6" travel full suspension, long and slack, big wide bars, designed for crashing up and down mountains all day long bike on 27.5" wheels. It's not designed for sitting on smooth surfaced, gentle terrain like the old railway lines in the Peak District that have been converted to cycle tracks BUT I can get up to 15.5mph very easily on these - even in ECO mode - and then you have the issue of the assistance cutting out and you are then trying to pedal a heavy bike with lots of parasitic drag in the drive train, so your speed drops, the assistance cuts in, you speed up, you go too fast, assitance cuts out etc. etc.

I end up sitting in a low gear and twiddling along just below the cut out speed, which is frustrating because it wants to go faster.

The situation with a hardtail and 29"wheels will, IMO, be even worse. it''l fly up to the cut out speed and then you're pedalling a heavy bike with lots of drag and where's the fun in that.

You can, on the older Bosch motor system, hack the software to remove the speed restriction which does away with the probelm, but the newer gen 4 motor systems can't be hacked (unless [mention]Couchy[/mention] has found anything out to the contrary).
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm breaking into a sweat here thinking about spending £2.5K on a bicycle, the most I've spent on a car ever is £4K and the most on a bike £5.7K (20 years ago on an R1)
I want the bike
It looks good
I'll use it
I've got the money

I'm worried it'll go out of stock before I make up my mind (the biggest problem seems to be finding a decent bike in stock in my size)
It's my birthday next Friday
I'm unlikely to be doing the trackday I've got booked for the 24th

My head is going round in circles, I don't like spending large amounts of money (though I made the decision to buy my car in about 15 minutes)
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 pm I'm breaking into a sweat here thinking about spending £2.5K on a bicycle, the most I've spent on a car ever is £4K and the most on a bike £5.7K (20 years ago on an R1)
I want the bike
It looks good
I'll use it
I've got the money

I'm worried it'll go out of stock before I make up my mind (the biggest problem seems to be finding a decent bike in stock in my size)
It's my birthday next Friday
I'm unlikely to be doing the trackday I've got booked for the 24th

My head is going round in circles, I don't like spending large amounts of money (though I made the decision to buy my car in about 15 minutes)
The will I use it factor for me trump's all, because I ride 6 days a week I can self justify and bike I want really.
At the moment on these lovely spring days it's easy to get out, autumn and winter where it needs cleaning after every ride, then bearing, a chain, headset, pads and tyres it can become a chore for many people
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 pm
The will I use it factor for me trump's all, because I ride 6 days a week I can self justify and bike I want really.
At the moment on these lovely spring days it's easy to get out, autumn and winter where it needs cleaning after every ride, then bearing, a chain, headset, pads and tyres it can become a chore for many people
It'll mostly get used at weekends and the big wheels and electric motor will really help in some of the sand round here, I'm very close to making a purchase, I suspect I will before the day is out.

I inherited £7.3K last week so it's not like I'm going to miss the money.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:36 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 pm
It'll mostly get used at weekends and the big wheels and electric motor will really help in some of the sand round here, I'm very close to making a purchase, I suspect I will before the day is out.

I inherited £7.3K last week so it's not like I'm going to miss the money.
Get the fuck on with it before it starts raining
millemille

Post by millemille »

I'd go for a Trek Powerfly 4 if I were you...

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... =black_tan

It's got more than enough specification for what you need and you get a good deal on price with Trek's because they've got such massive buying power as a manufacturer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I said that yesterday and you all ignored me
millemille

Post by millemille »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 pm I said that yesterday and you all ignored me
Because you did then to proceed, verily, to besmirch and denigrate the name of our Lord Bosch and the bicycles to which his miraculous workings are fitted....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:48 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 pm I said that yesterday and you all ignored me
Because you did then to proceed, verily, to besmirch and denigrate the name of our Lord Bosch and the bicycles to which his miraculous workings are fitted....
Is that the same as saying they're all shit?
millemille

Post by millemille »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 pm
millemille wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:48 pm
Is that the same as saying they're all shit?
G.P

Post by G.P »

I really like the idea of an E-bike but the electric motor, controller and battery performance seem to be progressing really quickly.
Quickly enough for you to have to upgrade each year or two to enjoy the highest performance. Its like colour TV development in the 70's and 80's but with no Radio rentals! :)
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:17 pm
Sounds ideal, my haibike is bloody great.
Le_Fromage_Grande

millemille wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:44 pm I'd go for a Trek Powerfly 4 if I were you...

It's got more than enough specification for what you need and you get a good deal on price with Trek's because they've got such massive buying power as a manufacturer.
None in stock, Haibike has been purchased
Honda Owner
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 pm My head is going round in circles, I don't like spending large amounts of money (though I made the decision to buy my car in about 15 minutes)
You only live once and you might CV19 next month, FFS get out there and buy it.
Brian
Le_Fromage_Grande

hilldweller wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:52 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 pm My head is going round in circles, I don't like spending large amounts of money (though I made the decision to buy my car in about 15 minutes)
You only live once and you might CV19 next month, FFS get out there and buy it.
It's bought, should be delivered next week
Honda Owner
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 pm
millemille wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:44 pm I'd go for a Trek Powerfly 4 if I were you...

Superb, enjoy. Make sure it gets a really good first charge. I think I made sure mine was plugged in for 24 hours first time. Then just get out on it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nordboy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:09 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Superb, enjoy. Make sure it gets a really good first charge. I think I made sure mine was plugged in for 24 hours first time. Then just get out on it.
And do keep us posted with info, pics, write ups.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Delivery is 28th of May, so two weeks, showed a picture of it to my wife and found one for £50 less, but I'll stick with the one I've ordered
Honda Owner