Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Taipan

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by Taipan »

Leo? What about Wings, do they do one for the Duke? Cobra ones look nice but don't know anyone that has one to know what they soundlike? Cobras are German so expect they will be well made. I haven't looked at prices for any of those though and cans get spiteful now, especially if you need link pipes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:16 pm Leo? What about Wings, do they do one for the Duke? Cobra ones look nice but don't know anyone that has one to know what they soundlike? Cobras are German so expect they will be well made. I haven't looked at prices for any of those though and cans get spiteful now, especially if you need link pipes.
1. the LEo VInce isn't in stock in UK for my model, apparently the warranty is void if i fit the earlier model can. But listening to videos on YT, the LEos don't actually sound that great.
2. Wings, don't make one
3. Never heard of Cobra exhausts ?

The top of the list is the Scorpion.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/275913

It just seems to fit the lines nicely...

But... it's Scorpion.... which i've always thought of as being a budget make, rather than a premium, at £380, it's not a budget price. But they are made in UK in Derbyshire which does make me feel better about it :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It's been a few years, but i've had a few Scorpion exhausts and they were well made. Just looked at Cobras but they are expensive.

https://www.cobraexhaust.de/SPEEDPRO-CO ... 690-Duke_1
https://www.cobraexhaust.de/KTM690Duke_1__2019_1
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:27 pm
But... it's Scorpion.... which i've always thought of as being a budget make, rather than a premium, at £380, it's not a budget price. But they are made in UK in Derbyshire which does make me feel better about it :)
The Scorpion looks tidy enough to me. Brand names change and evolve over time. It doesn't seem that long ago Skoda made shitty cars and their brand name was a byword for cheap rubbish,now they are neither. I'm old enough to remember when Rukka were just another name in bike gear and far from expensive,fuck my old boots,you'll pay for anything with their name on it now.

I'd buy the Scorp and if more renowned bling comes along,you can always eBay the can.

Means you don't have to wait.... ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

It's a shame Blueflame don't make one for your ride as I like their zorsts.

Whatever you go for it's gotta be all angular like the Scorp / PP / Akra, oval or round looks out of place on such a bike with, erm, interesting aesthetics.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:27 pm apparently the warranty is void if i fit the earlier model can. But listening to videos on YT, the LEos don't actually sound that great.
Warranty for the bike or the can?

surely the can on your model is the same on the older one? That sportsbikeshop link for the Skorpion says 12 right through to 17 model so suggests the same.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:27 pm apparently the warranty is void if i fit the earlier model can. But listening to videos on YT, the LEos don't actually sound that great.
Warranty for the bike or the can?

surely the can on your model is the same on the older one? That sportsbikeshop link for the Skorpion says 12 right through to 17 model so suggests the same.

18-19 is longer for LV for noise reasons. warranty for can.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:11 pm
18-19 is longer for LV for noise reasons. warranty for can.
Interesting. Presumably less noise or different sound?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I moved the goalposts on freedom a bit and went out on mine today.

Obviously being on a bike there's no social distancing needed, if someone is closer than 2m, well, we've got issues.

Image2020-05-12_10-24-34 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

How was it then... bloody marvellous.

I was impressed by how much of a difference the shock made... Just handles and turns a chunk better, sometimes it's only when you remove something you realise how much of a difference things make.
Power, performance, whatever you think of it as, just brilliant braaaap, braaaap, through the box, smooth silky gear changes, dropping it down into a turn on the slipper clutch, just excellent.
Turn in, was just great, it's SO fast at tipping in and out of corners, i can't do it justice of course, but i try my best, honest :)

There were 2 things that were not so perfect,
1. Startup MTC error lol....
2. Lost an exhaust bracket bolt...

Neither anything major and the bolt is replaced, on re-start no error message of course.

Top bit of fun though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crazy talk ?

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Too loud ( )and expensive for me, also looks like a lash up (imho) but hey it's your bike n wallet so go for it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Not keen on them can's. Just doesn't look right to me.

Also presumably as no cat it'll be LOUD.

I also think whilst aftermarket cans look better than OE, they don't add much but looks so not sure how much value there is on spendy cans.
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 am Image

crazy talk ?

I don't like that at all. That can hides underneath like the ugly thing it is! I'd keep the stock exhaust first.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Stock does indeed seem to be topping my list at the moment.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The Remus imo is too under slung, like a Buell. 😟 I think short low slung can look good, bit like this.

Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm The Remus imo is too under slung, like a Buell. 😟 I think short low slung can look good, bit like this.

Not for me that I'm afraid
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm The Remus imo is too under slung, like a Buell. 😟 I think short low slung can look good, bit like this.

Do they come with drainage holes or flapper discs like yank big rigs of old?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Not seeing anything here that i'd want to fit, based on your criteria. But then getting away from that, the codes would piss me off, so I cant believ you're going to suffer them, so shall we restart a 790 thread.... ;)

Seriously, those above are add ons for a custom bike and will look pony on a standard bike. Go Leo, Akra or not at all, imo.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:38 pm Not seeing anything here that i'd want to fit, based on your criteria. But then getting away from that, the codes would piss me off, so I cant believ you're going to suffer them, so shall we restart a 790 thread.... ;) .
Nah, i'm ok with it mate, honestly. Whilst they're a minor irritation, i have 18 months of warranty and a dealer i trust. So once shops are open etc fully i'll throw it in there, loan a bike from them (probably a 790) and make some decisions over summer.

One thing i do know, which is the all important thing, i love riding this bike. Other bikes i ride, i'm constantly picking this, that or the other about it that i don't like, not massive things, sometimes small things... But with the 690 there isn't anything, not the brakes, not the power, the handling, not the ergonomics, nothing. Admittedly when i sit here and think of the closest other bikes to that for me, it's a very short list, with it being the MT-10 and 790. The MT10 i couldn't live with that much power and the 790, well i swapped it to buy this... So, i'm still sticking with 690.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:58 am One thing i do know, which is the all important thing, i love riding this bike.
Over lockdown I've been looking wistfully at 790's, XSR900, Tracer900, and 1090 Adv. Riding the 690 on Sunday I was thinking 'Why would I want more than this?'. I hadn't ridden since Oct so was taking it well easy and not really accessing even the modest performance of the 690, but that'll come in the next few weeks. But honestly, when I want to go fast-ish (for the road) the 690 will do it, it handles lovely, stops well, is nice and light and has a character to it. It's not bland. I started thinking what would I do with the extra 45bhp of the MT09 motor which is near as dammit the same power as my 96 Fireblade. Yeah it'd be fun, but more power comes with more liabilities. The 690 feels a bit of a chore at 75-80 on duel carriageways for any length of time, but outside of that is such a versatile bike. And when I get :twisted: it'll make it feel quick without big numbers. And best of all I finished paying for it 2 years ago and it's like new condition wise.

I must start a 690 thread of my own! Need to sort a photo account of some sort. Usually post whilst on work pc and they block flicker so will try and sort on laptop.