What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MingtheMerciless

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Fitted a new satellite dish and wall bracket, spent an hour sodding around trying to point the dish in the right direction with various satellite finder apps to no avail. I resorted to using the time honoured tradition of shouting at the wife from the top of the ladder whilst she watched the signal strength and quality bars on the telly going up and down as I "aimed" the dish. Job done in 10 minutes.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had my covid vaccination! :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm I resorted to using the time honoured tradition of shouting at the wife from the top of the ladder whilst she watched the signal strength and quality bars on the telly going up and down as I "aimed" the dish. Job done in 10 minutes.
I used to do that but my sat dish is a loooong way from the telly - so the patience of my 'assistant' has been sorely tested on a number of occasions (similarly when sweeping the chimney and 'is it out yet!?' shouting matches)

Once I actually read the instructions on the inline signal strength doohickey (the one that screeches at you) it was actually quite straightforward and could be done without any major sulking.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

We have mobile phones here so can chat to the person who is helping me with a job.
Very helpful thingies :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm We have mobile phones here so can chat to the person who is helping me with a job.
Very helpful thingies :)
Oh don't get me started on that ..
Skub

Post by Skub »

A couple of hours on the bike today,man I bitterly regretted not wearing my heated waistcoat.

It didn't seem that cold when I left. :roll:

Still,the roads were dry and reasonably grippy and it didn't rain until after I arrived home.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Today I bought two chimney pots for the wife's Mothering Sunday gifts from the children. we will plant some nice flowers in them and unveil them when I'm back from taking the services and helping with a baptism (I've hidden them next to my bike in the garage and covered them with biking gear, so she will be clueless. :-)

Then I found out from my neighbour, who popped over to see me Monday morning when I started up the K1200R for a chat, that his mum had passed on.
I am glad that I had taken the time to let him chat then, as he needed someone to speak to.

Later on in the afternoon, a funeral at my Church, and then fetched my wife. She baked a cheesy cauliflower dish with extra onion and garlic. Absolute comfort food and so lush. Going to have a quiet evening I think and will raise a glass in memory. RIP Shirley and Dorothy.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Today I have applied for a green homes grant for solar hot water, even though the government covers two thirds of the cost there's still a forty year payback time on my investment.
Thankfully this incorporates some work I wanted done anyway and when these chaps finish I may look for a way to adapt it to heat my pool instead and recoup my investment much faster. :shhh:

For Anyone interested the quote to convert a vented hot water system to solar unvented is just shy of seven grand.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 pm still a forty year payback time on my investment.
Assuming fuel costs don't increase.
Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 pm For Anyone interested the quote to convert a vented hot water system to solar unvented is just shy of seven grand.
Did you look at ground source or any other options?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 pm still a forty year payback time on my investment.
Assuming fuel costs don't increase.
Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 pm For Anyone interested the quote to convert a vented hot water system to solar unvented is just shy of seven grand.
Did you look at ground source or any other options?
I did and I'm not convinced they are reliable, after much searching I found a study on where the ground gets its heat from and it is almost totally the sun. As I don't have a paddock for a garden I'd have to go for a deep version and I think when I need it in winter it would be a poor performer.
The only heat I need when the sun is strong is hot water so i figured it would be the most efficient option, that and i wanted an unvented system anyway.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Not today, but yesterday I spayed Ivanka.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Bwana wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 pm Not today, but yesterday I spayed Ivanka.
Potentially a service to posterity. Did she growl much?
David

Post by David »

Bwana wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 pm Not today, but yesterday I spayed Ivanka.
Pity no one did mrs trump 75 years ago.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got up and put the bins out. I came back in to find my son had queue jumped and was in the shower. Git. Laid on the bed waiting and fell asleep. Woke up at 09:40, which is 40 minutes after I should have left for work! :shock: Rushed around and got ready and jumped on the bike and headed up the road only to find the DCT transmission was stuck in 1st gear! FFS! Went back down the hill to my house Turned it off and back on again and all was well. Rode to work and the mighty NC700X had me into central London by 10:40. 8-)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Thanks to a members name on this forum I had an idea....

Filled out some paperwork at a Dr's office & one of the questions was how I prefer to be addressed, The usual Mr, Miss, Mrs etc & the last box was *other* & space to include how you expected to be addressed.
So I picked that option & put "Le Fromage Grande"
I'm looking forward to the letter confirming my next appointment 8-)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Got seven days in FB pokey for calling Eric Swalwell (California Democrat Congressman) a fucking pussy for suing Trump for emotional distress & suggesting he go bang his Chinese whore/spy for comfort.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:37 am Got seven days in FB pokey for calling Eric Swalwell (California Democrat Congressman) a fucking pussy for suing Trump for emotional distress & suggesting he go bang his Chinese whore/spy for comfort.
Did they tell you which bits of that were worthy of a ban?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Work laptop had an unfortunate keyboard/tea interface a few weeks back but due to Covid they couldn't get an engineer out to replace, so sent me a keyboard instead. Stripped down said laptop and replaced keyboard myself, that's cost them 2 hours at my usual rate :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:15 am Work laptop had an unfortunate keyboard/tea interface a few weeks back but due to Covid they couldn't get an engineer out to replace, so sent me a keyboard instead. Stripped down said laptop and replaced keyboard myself, that's cost them 2 hours at my usual rate :thumbup:
Been cheaper to get you a new MacBook Pro wouldn't it? :hmmm:

:lol:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I am at work - chilly ride in (takes 10 mins) through Victoria park.
Couldn't use my usual parking space as they are changing the magnet on the MRI machine.
I cannot get the image of an enormous Horse shoe shaped child magnet being craned above the hospital.
I'm attempting Martinis tonight (maximum of 2)