£3K Electrically Assisted MTB

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Taff

Re: £3K Electrically Assisted MTB

Post by Taff »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 am On motorcross and enduro motorcycles you always set the sag as a figure in mm rather than as a % of the travel, from memory static sag with rider was 40mm (but I could be wrong)
the way that you take the measurement is subtly different, on a MX bike the measurement is taken between rear wheel axle and mudguard (iirc) whereas the on a mtb the measurement is directly on the shock travel.
Some shocks have % lines written on them with a o ring seal measuring the travel to help set up.

principle is the same tho :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yep, we measured by how much the seat sank from vertical, first measured without rider, then with, this got the preload right every time, damping took a bit more effort.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Now up to 470 miles on the bike (did 10 miles at 06:30 this morning before going to work), I'm still really enjoying riding it, I'm getting fitter, going further and using less battery, I now know all my local bridleways well and have a bit of single track circuit worked out round the outside of the nearby Foxhall speedway stadium.

I have a "hilly" route and a flat route worked out, both about the same distance, I use more battery on the flat route, probably because there is a lot of soft sand on the flat route.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande

I'll watch that when I get time, now up to 580 miles on mine, and it's still fantastic, I quite often get up early and go for an hours ride before work.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-sh ... -2021.html

Review: Shimano's STEPS EP8 Motor is Great, But Not Perfect
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 am https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-sup ... rmatt.html

Enduro world series Ebikes.
I missed this when you first posted. Good video, some of those technical climbs look pretty savage. I had a brief Google a couple of months ago for E-MTB enduros but didn't find much, hopefully they'll become more popular off the back of the EWS series.

PITA having to remove the motor to replace the battery on the Rocky Mountain bikes.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I've done 663 miles on mine so far and I'm still very happy with it, it's perfect for what I use it for
Honda Owner
matt

Post by matt »

The Yamaha hasn't seen the light of day for a few months now but I'm still loving this thing 😁
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

matt wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 pm The Yamaha hasn't seen the light of day for a few months now but I'm still loving this thing 😁
Haven't used mine since before Christmas, it's hanging from the wall behind me looking very sorry for itself but there's very little decent riding, trails-wise, around where I live and I would still have to drive to it so not technically local (but it's not outside the area, IYSWIM). Last time out the bike looked like I'd thrown it in a swamp.

Good pic, btw. Very jealous of those that got the snow.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Used mine yesterday, 15 mile off road ride - I discovered why mudguards are a bad idea, the front one became a mud trap and had to be removed.
Also what tyres are good for mud, Schwalbe Smart Sams became slicks in the clay that I found yesterday.
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 am Used mine yesterday, 15 mile off road ride - I discovered why mudguards are a bad idea, the front one became a mud trap and had to be removed.
Also what tyres are good for mud, Schwalbe Smart Sams became slicks in the clay that I found yesterday.
How many miles have you done now? Has it been reliable? are you servicing it yourself? I was planning on getting one last year but work went mad, the Mrs got ill and the next thing I knew, it was 2021.
The biggest problem at the moment seems to be stock, there isn't any, anywhere!
Taff

Post by Taff »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 am Used mine yesterday, 15 mile off road ride - I discovered why mudguards are a bad idea, the front one became a mud trap and had to be removed.
I don't have the pleasure of riding in clay that clogs up like that, thank feck.

Michelin e-wilds are really good in all conditions👍
Le_Fromage_Grande

Taff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
I don't have the pleasure of riding in clay that clogs up like that, thank feck.

Michelin e-wilds are really good in all conditions👍
I could have avoided it with a bit of sense but thought I'd give it a go, and then it was easier to carry on than turn back
Honda Owner
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Maxxis Shortys are supposed to be good in sticky clag. For normal wet mud I like Vittoria's - Goma 2.4 up front and a Mezcal 2.2 out back on my 29er.

For clay go for a 2.1 with lots of space between the knobs
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

MIchelin Wild Muds are bloody brilliant (not sure if they do an e-specific version). They clear really well, followed by Kenda Gran Mudda’s which I use on the front and a michy on the rear as it’s a bit narrower.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mine currently has 29 x 2.6 tyres, what's the benefit of a skinnier tyre?
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pm Mine currently has 29 x 2.6 tyres, what's the benefit of a skinnier tyre?
goes through mud easier.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pm Mine currently has 29 x 2.6 tyres, what's the benefit of a skinnier tyre?
goes through mud easier.
I was going to ask how, but I see that it's like the difference between a spoon and a knife in custard
I suspect skinnier tyres would also make it steer quicker, the only down side being a reduction in grip in some conditions.

That's given me something to think about.

Now I'm wondering if there's any benefit in 2.6 on the rear and 2.1 on the front as motorcycles have wider rear tyres.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

plenty of people do the reverse actually. Bigger on teh front and narrower on the rear.

I run a 2.5 on the front and a 2.35 on the rear, the bigger front gives a bit more confidence i feel. But none of my decisions are down to mud grip, but grip in the tricky riding context.