The darkside with a twist of fun

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Scuffmark

Re: The darkside with a twist of fun

Post by Scuffmark »

Going back a few weeks when I removed the front brake calipers it became obvious as soon as I popped the first piston out that the dust seals had swollen and would need replacing.

This is how the old dust seals looked ...

This seal was from the left side caliper which is the same side as the leaking fork seal so theres a fair chance they've been contaminated, the right side weren't as bad but Yamaha have brake caliper seals as a 24 month service item along with brake fluid so I would say they were over due anyways.

A few hours work and there all back together and the pistons are operating freely. Just need fitting and bleeding up.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Nice job mate.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:57 pmNice job mate.
Cheers :thumbup: :thumbup:

Got to admit with covid restrictions and no riding getting the spanners out has been a good way of turning off from working life.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scuffmark wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Got to admit with covid restrictions and no riding getting the spanners out has been a good way of turning off from working life.
Very much so, although I wish jobs would take longer so it kept me more occupied
Skub

Post by Skub »

Not so good for the bank account tho......
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:36 pm

Not so good for the bank account tho......
Lol... maybe not :lol:
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Spent a part of today fitting the previously serviced calipers and bleeding them up. All bled and the brakes work fine but I'm still not impressed with amount of lever travel , maybe I'll have to give them a chance to bed in properly with a quick ride when we're allowed, but I've already ordered a master cylinder service kit just in case.

Added a front axle slider and a screen... I doubt the screen is very effective at directing much air but it fills in the gap between the headlight and clocks nicely.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Getting there fella, getting there !
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:09 pm Getting there fella, getting there !
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Think I'll put the exhaust back on and then take it for a good ride before doing much more. It'll give me a better idea of what else is required atleast.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I put a small Dart screen on my Thruxton, which didn't look like it'd do anything, but I was really surprised at what it did do!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:13 am I put a small Dart screen on my Thruxton, which didn't look like it'd do anything, but I was really surprised at what it did do!
Agree. I fitted a Puig to my Zed and (in context) it does make a difference.
Walt Whitman
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Well I've only gone and managed a bit of a test ride on the 09 :wtf:

After changing the front master cylinder seals, quick brake bleed , fit the exhaust system and quick check over of a few bolts with the torque wrench it was action stations.

A steady 5 mile run with a couple of stops to check a few things but it felt good to just get out on a bike for 10 minutes.

Brakes now have a good bite even though I'm still not 100% on the gap between the lever and handlebar when you get it. Some of which may be my fault for having large hands some if it maybe the handlebar is possibly bent on the right hand side, but that needs further investigation.... Luckily that friendly chap @Beancounter sent me some Woodcraft bars so they'll be going on maybe sooner than I thought.

Something else I noticed that I hadn't spotted on the test ride at purchase time was the speedo is not reading speed correctly.. 150 in 3rd gear type of optimism with more rev range to go :lol: :lol: .... Speedo healer required me thinks. Another £85 but its only money , right :wtf:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Congratulations. It feels great to get back out doesn't it.

Did you buy milk or bread?
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Mrs S hasn't been feeling well and all she fancied was a pyjama day sat next to a radiator to try and recuperate , bad for her but good for me as I got more time to tinker.

Enough time for a valve clearance and rocker arm check on the 690 and a proper check over of everything else.

Oil change and its ready for another year... oh and an indicator bulb :thumbup:

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Don't mention 690s. I still look at smcr's
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:05 pm Congratulations. It feels great to get back out doesn't it.

Did you buy milk or bread?

I passed a farm but they were all out of milk :lol:

It sure does mate , hopefully we can get a bit of good news tomorrow night about being allowed out ... Travelling for exercise would be good :)
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm Don't mention 690s. I still look at smcr's
As much as I like the Smc , I don't think I could have it as my only bike or if I did then some aspects of my biking would change. ... Its not really built for comfort for a start so long distance rides with mates would be off the list and I do like them from time to time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scuffmark wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm Don't mention 690s. I still look at smcr's
As much as I like the Smc , I don't think I could have it as my only bike or if I did then some aspects of my biking would change. ... Its not really built for comfort for a start so long distance rides with mates would be off the list and I do like them from time to time.
I see a fair few of my rides this year being exactly that too. Days out with the boys. Which sadly you're right, it's not ideal.
If I could persuade 3-4 of them to get one, I'd have one already.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I wish I was brave enough to tackle my valve clearances, will be booking mine in very shortly as at 12,008 miles now.

It seems straightforward enough from the youtube vids I've watched but don't trust myself.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm I wish I was brave enough to tackle my valve clearances, will be booking mine in very shortly as at 12,008 miles now.

It seems straightforward enough from the youtube vids I've watched but don't trust myself.
It's an easy enough job,if you take your time. I've always done valve clearances on all my bikes up until the ZX10R. The principle is the same for most bikes (apart from Ducatis) but I don't do it now because I really hate the process of getting at the rocker cover in the first place,then having to piss about in a tiny space where everything is awkward.

Most jap in line fours rarely need adjustment until north of 40k. I think KTM need done every other week. :lol:
Walt Whitman