Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
maccecht

Re: Tool purchases

Post by maccecht »

Aye plugin the tool hit the take off button and it comes on with the tool. Comes with a stepped hose adaptor for all sorts of tools. Already got a king vac but fancied a bigger more powerful hoover.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

Used the new Hoover this morning to blow dry the bike it's pretty pokey and done the job nicely
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

maccecht wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 pm My new workshop hoover it sucks.
O it blows also and has a handy power take off point and semi auto filter cleaning. It really does suck 🤠
Thanks for that. I think I'll replace my fairly old, noisy, not very powerful Karcher that I use as a shop vac with one.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Just a couple of 9Ah (@18 volts) batteries but I got the Flexvolt ones which either give 18 volts or 54 volts (giving 3Ah) depending on what tool they're plugged into.
There's buttons near the contacts that configure the cells into several smaller groups for the lower voltage or all in series to get the 54 volt power.
So far I don't have any 54 volt De-Walt tools (cordless chopsaws, table saws, an extractor and a few other stuff I can't remember) but I expect I'll end up with something and might as well plan ahead.
As they also fit into my 18 volt tools they're good for my site light, or SDS drill and give both excellent runtime.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

What size hose are people using for dust extraction for hand power tools?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mines 32mm 'cos that's the size of the outlet and the vacuum hose.
Not much point in having a bigger hose as the air will slow down and dust will settle inside it.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

That logic makes sense, I’ve got a choice of vacs, so will measure up, compare and get the adaptors linked above.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Ordered this today https://heinnie.com/gerber-eab-lite?gcl ... xWEALw_wcB Figure you can never have enough knives. Been working at my daughters new flat and there was a few times I needed a better blade than the little snap off one I had given her in her new house toolkit. Might be a bit dodgy to carry around in your pocket though.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Does that lock in both open and closed positions?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 pm What size hose are people using for dust extraction for hand power tools?
Mine came standard with a 27mm antistatic hose, thats good for chopsaws, guiderail saws, any routing I've done with it connected so far but its not great when I want to vacuum up handplane shavings and can clog the nozzle with those.
There's a 22mm hose which as far as I know is used on sanders and a 36 or 50mm hose and from what Ive read the bigger hoses generally a bit work better as theres less internal frictional losses as well as on bigger shavings.
Thats using a Festool CTM26 AC which is at the industrial end of the portable extractor scale, dunno about anything else cos I've not used many others.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Has anyone got any experience with one of these??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000W-Mini-D ... 1195.m1851

Seems a lot 'safer' to me than naked flames for heating up stuck bolts.

At some point I'm going to need to strip the exhaust studs from the Rockster (one has already snapped and needs replacing), and this looks like it might be the tool to help?
non quod, sed quomodo
rossm

Post by rossm »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am Has anyone got any experience with one of these??

At some point I'm going to need to strip the exhaust studs from the Rockster (one has already snapped and needs replacing), and this looks like it might be the tool to help?
Seen these type of things used on YouTube and they look good, no personal experience though
cheb

Post by cheb »

The local garage has just bought something similar and judged it 'brilliant'.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:03 pm Does that lock in both open and closed positions?
Arrived 10 minutes ago. It locks in the open position and took me a while to suss out how to close it. It's not locked in the closed position but its quite stiffly spung its a two handed job to open.
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:37 am Has anyone got any experience with one of these??

I have used one for years and a cracking bit kit.
Only drawback from a gas torch is if you need to heat something that you cannot get a hoop over, (not open ended)
Its a guddle messing about on the likes of exhaust sleeves etc, but dooable
Heats up really quick and no chance of setting anything on fire with an open flame.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Seems a very handy bit of kit,if you work with old rusty bolts a lot.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 pm Seems a very handy bit of kit,if you work with old rusty bolts a lot.

Damn your eyes sir. I may have to loosen the old purse strings for something like that...
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:07 pm
Skub wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 pm Seems a very handy bit of kit,if you work with old rusty bolts a lot.

Damn your eyes sir. I may have to loosen the old purse strings for something like that...
My work here is done. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

maccecht wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 pm My new workshop hoover it sucks.
O it blows also and has a handy power take off point and semi auto filter cleaning. It really does suck 🤠

Your post prompted me to get one of these and surprisingly it was available here so I paid the dosh and it came a couple of weeks ago.

It's pretty damn good (although a bit big) but I like that I can connect my tools to it and it starts and stops automatically. It even handles most of the dust from my table saw but I need to make a fitting for my home made router table as I only have dust extraction through the fence and I don't always use the fence.

A whole lot quieter than my old Karcher (85 Db I think it said in the bumff) which has been relegated to the boat park for all and sundry to use as and when.

Cheers maccecht!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Fear me, hedges and undergrowth!!!
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-duh52 ... bare/7852x

Having slowing reduced the cord on my old trimmer over the years, unintentionally, I figured cordless was the sensible option. Being as I have a few Makita tools made sense to carry on the collection and share batteries.