TRackday prices, they're getting a bit daft now ?

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
BARNEY 20

Re: TRackday prices, they're getting a bit daft now ?

Post by BARNEY 20 »

Tarmacsurfer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm 10% increase isn't going to put anyone off. Look at the average cost of the bikes in the trackdays paddock nowadays.. 4k upwards. Combined with coming out of lockdown and the places will be rammed, same as last year.
I've got Mallory and Donington booked already 🙂
... No point being the richest bloke in the graveyard!
If I returned to the track I recon £250 would be the most I,d pay for the actual track time.
Back in the day I had two 5eb Yamaha r6 with a wet and dry set up and was king of the hill :banana-wrench: .After a 8 yr break or so I felt massively under gunned for the fast group and under prepared Tbo.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

BARNEY 20 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 pm
If I returned to the track I recon £250 would be the most I,d pay for the actual track time.
Back in the day I had two 5eb Yamaha r6 with a wet and dry set up and was king of the hill :banana-wrench: .After a 8 yr break or so I felt massively under gunned for the fast group and under prepared Tbo.
Go racing , with that set up you would be ahead of most guys in rookie 600 prep wise with a wet and dry bike
BARNEY 20

Post by BARNEY 20 »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:00 am
BARNEY 20 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 pm
Go racing , with that set up you would be ahead of most guys in rookie 600 prep wise with a wet and dry bike
Cheers m8 but that ship has sailed a long time ago :oops: .
Progressed to the fast group and felt comfortable with it,never got passed much but Deffo ran in the slower quarter of the pack.The R6 was a brilliant bike and probably the only bike that I could wring its neck comfortably.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tarmacsurfer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm 10% increase isn't going to put anyone off. Look at the average cost of the bikes in the trackdays paddock nowadays.. 4k upwards. Combined with coming out of lockdown and the places will be rammed, same as last year.
I've got Mallory and Donington booked already 🙂
... No point being the richest bloke in the graveyard!

LOL which paddock ? I see most bikes out there in the £10,000+ bracket. I know plenty of £15,000-20,000 track bikes.
fil2

Post by fil2 »

yup ! they will be packed ! and a soon as the Euro tracks open fully for business they will be packed also...…….still you wont see me paying £200 plus for a Donny noisy day !! when MSV do a quiet day for £140...……...plus Donny is shit lol
Tarmacsurfer

Post by Tarmacsurfer »

Donny is shit? Err maybe compared to some Worldwide circuits but it's still a great Uk circuit.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I don't like flat circuits. I like fast blind bends and crests. Flat stick where you can't see a thing is great fun :D
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

With a Trackday costing £350-£400 all in its too much for me so I’m out. I can’t justify that much money. If I do get a bike that’s capable I may do a couple of social days or road bike days but I’m not worried if I don’t do any tbh
Scud

Post by Scud »

I’ve not done a trackday for a couple of years, I like the social side with friends, that makes the day for me.
I have weighed up the costs, the day, the fuel, the food and being self employed, the days wage (although it’s not a deciding factor as I see no point in working if that’s all you do). It becomes a very pricey day that I really am now struggling to justify.
Saying all that I may do a couple of the social distancing is relaxed and it becomes a social day again rather than just a day riding on track.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scud wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 pm I’ve not done a trackday for a couple of years, I like the social side with friends, that makes the day for me.
I have weighed up the costs, the day, the fuel, the food and being self employed, the days wage (although it’s not a deciding factor as I see no point in working if that’s all you do). It becomes a very pricey day that I really am now struggling to justify.
Saying all that I may do a couple of the social distancing is relaxed and it becomes a social day again rather than just a day riding on track.
That's all our yearly Pembrey events are. The actual riding is the smallest part.
Scud

Post by Scud »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 pm
Scud wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:11 pm I’ve not done a trackday for a couple of years, I like the social side with friends, that makes the day for me.
That's all our yearly Pembrey events are. The actual riding is the smallest part.
I gather that, but I really do not have the time to give over a full weekend which it would need to be due to the distance. I can get to Caldwell in 30 minutes, snetterton in under an hour, donny in a bit over an hour, and in the unlikely event I ever feel the need Mallory in about an hour.
That’s in the horse lorry with full living and 50mph top speed!
SSR Suspension

Post by SSR Suspension »

I wrote to MSV in 2019, looking to organise a trackday directly without using a 3rd party TDO. They wanted 21k For Donny Park for the day and would provide all their staff etc, it worked out at something like £150.00 per rider if you filled the groups.

Mallory Park would have cost £17.5k for the day, again this was not using a 3rd party TDO everything would have been direct thru MSV.

The guy I went to 'The Ring' with in 2010 asked me yesterday if I fancied a trip back, lol, I'd go back there ten times over than do a UK trackday even if you are on the road with cars. I have seen some real respective driving and riding over there, I sometimes see a lack of that over here!
Horse

Post by Horse »

I occasionally have to hire test facilities, the cost can be astounding.

About 10 years ago, the outer loop at Longcross was £5k +VAT for sole use.
A 1 mile straight section of runway on a disused airfield, £1.5k +VAT

That's with absolutely no facilities - no buildings, toilets, catering, etc. - or marshals and first aid cover. And arrange sufficient insurance too.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.jameswhitham.com/tracks/cad ... rk-circuit

£295 !!! OK, so it's small groups and plenty of instructors, but that's a LOT !!!!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Back in my day Cadwell was one of the cheaper options, £75-95, where as Donington was £120.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:56 pm Back in my day Cadwell was one of the cheaper options, £75-95, where as Donington was £120.
I got them a bit cheaper ;)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:46 pm https://www.jameswhitham.com/tracks/cad ... rk-circuit

£295 !!! OK, so it's small groups and plenty of instructors, but that's a LOT !!!!
I agree it's a lot to pay for a single day, but all things considered, working out their costs comparatively speaking (as they won't be able to change the cct hire cost much, if any) it doesn't seem to be extortionate, and some might say good value, relatively speaking.
I don't know exactly how much MSV charge for Cadwell rental these days, but the annual Ixion 2 dayer should give an approximation as it's not for profit.
It's always held on a Thursday and Friday, and this year (is in a few weeks time), cost is £125 for just one of the days, £230 for 2 days (thur/fri), so £115 a day - that's the absolute cheapest you will get a day there for these days as a joe-public paying punter.
They budget on completely filling all groups ( as they always do within a day or two of opening the booking site ) with max numbers allowed of 40 per group in Novice & Inters, and 43 in Fast.

Whit's days have a max of 20 per group, and, as you say, a good ratio of well known national/international level racer instructors, so looking at it like that, you're paying double to have 50% fewer riders out at the same time as you, and £60-70 for the instruction per day, so maybe not so dear as it initially seems- I guess it depends on the value you put on a more intimate day and proper fast, and likely moderately famous (in biking circles at least) instructors, although as we all know, just because someone can ride fast themselves, doesn't mean that they're necessarily a good teacher! :)

Yorick wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:02 pm
I got them a bit cheaper ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I did the ixion day, maybe 25 years ago, it was £50 😁
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:50 pm I did the ixion day, maybe 25 years ago, it was £50 😁
Wassat?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yup, inflation for you eh - does make me smile when I think how much race entries were (not) back in the 1980s when I was racing- you'd get 6 or more races over 2 days for £30 or so - they are a bit more these days eh :)

I'm not doing Ixion this year, and wasn't there right at the very beginning, but pretty soon after and have probably done it 10-15 times-was always a cracking social for a group of us, and a decent night night out in Louth . This year's the 25th year it's run.