Filtering in France

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
KungFooBob

Filtering in France

Post by KungFooBob »

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/french- ... xperiment/

I somehow stumbled on that article.

I'm confused.

So filtering wasn't illegal and was 'tolerated', but they then made it more legal and more people crashed.

Or have I misunderstood?
DEADPOOL

Re: Filtering in France

Post by DEADPOOL »

Sounds like a perfect example of an experiment where the act of observing changes behaviour.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Have they not seen the Black Prince Paris peripherique videos. ;)

From the way i read the article some people used to filter but a lot didnt as they thought they might get nicked for it. Once it was made officially legal and issued that fact to the general public then a lot more people started filtering that didnt before so reported filtering accidents went up
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I actually thought of the Black Prince video when I was originally reading it.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I did consider translating the official report because the FEMA post is pretty confusing. But my French isn't THAT good.

Pretty much every bike filtered everywhere when I was in Paris some years ago. So not sure about the behaviour change.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

It's quite long, but I'd be happy to translate specific bits if you like.
The Spin Doctor

Scootabout wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:26 pm It's quite long, but I'd be happy to translate specific bits if you like.
The length did it for me. Would have taken a couple of weeks, wading through with a dictionary in one hand and a pen in the other ;)

Jolly kind offer! The exec summary (or equivalent) plus any conclusions about the results would be useful.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

The Spin Doctor

Dunno what that (apart from a frowny face) but the pop-up says "accounts.google.coms refuses to connect"
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Try this
The Spin Doctor

Ah... Franglais! Excellent. Thanks.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

My memory of filtering through France, Belgium and Luxembourg in the 90's was with a very loaded ZX7R with SWMBO on the back, filtering slowly through a jam on the dual carriageway I spotted some lights behind so pulled in and let a few locals through. There then followed a Gaulic lesson in filtering which involved lots of horn, much gesticulating and the occasional boot in a door from the pillion of the bikes in front and about 30mph faster than I'd been going. We then hit the roadworks causing the jam and my French "instructors" went the wrong side of the cones until the actual worksite where there was more good natured gesticulating from the bikers and road workers and we went the right side of the cones until we cleared the missing bit of tarmac. Mrs M said that this OK in France but not to be performed at home, I also have a feeling that this may well have been a very French interpretation of their Highway Code.😂
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The original Fronch lane splitter.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:29 pm Ah... Franglais! Excellent. Thanks.
Auto-translation algorithms are pretty good now. A friend who translates professionally (or did) told me that they are getting so good that translators can't charge anything like the rates they used to be able to. There's still a role for the humans, but it's more often tidying up a machine translation than doing the whole thing.
The Spin Doctor

Scootabout wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:10 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:29 pm Ah... Franglais! Excellent. Thanks.
Auto-translation algorithms are pretty good now. A friend who translates professionally (or did) told me that they are getting so good that translators can't charge anything like the rates they used to be able to. There's still a role for the humans, but it's more often tidying up a machine translation than doing the whole thing.
So no more "tootling the horn trumpet melodiously at first and then with vigour"?
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

My two experiences in France, statonary traffic on the A7 with all three lanes solid due to a crsh some miles ahead. me and a mate filtering between lanes 2 & 3 at a sensible speed, whilst french bikers blast along the hard shoulder at full speed.
June 7 day after the big D day celibrations filtering through the queues to get through the tolls over the Pont de Normandie, when a column of french police bikes come charging up behind me. I let them by, then tagged in behind the last one right up to the toll booth, they got through for free but I thought I better pay.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

The Pont de Normandie was free for bikes last time I was over it....... Mind you that was about 10 years ago.
The Spin Doctor

iansoady wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:05 pm The Pont de Normandie was free for bikes last time I was over it....... Mind you that was about 10 years ago.
Isn't there a signed bike lane off to one side that bypasses the booths? Or is that the Tancarville?
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Yes, that's what I remember on the P de N.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

GuzziPaul wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 am My two experiences in France, statonary traffic on the A7 with all three lanes solid due to a crsh some miles ahead. me and a mate filtering between lanes 2 & 3 at a sensible speed, whilst french bikers blast along the hard shoulder at full speed.
June 7 day after the big D day celibrations filtering through the queues to get through the tolls over the Pont de Normandie, when a column of french police bikes come charging up behind me. I let them by, then tagged in behind the last one right up to the toll booth, they got through for free but I thought I better pay.
Pillock, it's free for les motards, just use the far right lane.
There was a protest many moons back by FFMC who 'arranged' for several hundred bikes to turn up and pay with copper coins, after stopping the bike, taking off the gloves etc.
It was soon changed to traversee gratuit.
As for filtering, it's now illegal, until they change their minds again! Big rallies in Paris blocking the roads on Sundays, really need to do it in the week though.
You ARE allowed to overtake on the left, so provided there are no other vehicles to your left, technically you can go for it, however you may be explaining it to the gendarmerie