What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:22 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 pm
I don't get that one at all. The littler cafe race, i'm all over it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-V ... SwZI1eqDUI

There were some of them here all in a row before the dealer stopped doing Moto Guzzi and they felt really cheap and nasty IMO. The finish wasn't great and the chrome/red just came across as a bit cheesy.
The bars and the clocks reminded me of a TZR125, it's like they just threw clip-on style bars on the front and tried to make it something it's not, the whole thing just comes across as plastic, with some chrome over the top. I don't like that 1970's flat bench look and the riding position feels the same.

I liked the look in the magazines but the reality was disappointing. I think the other versions are better, with decent handlebars and a more matt finish.
The chrome racer looks like a tarted up budget bike and close up it's a let down.

The Grizos they had were lovely though, nice finish and real presence about them, the two bikes looked they were made by two different manufacturers.
That's a damn shame
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

They are marketed as entry-level A2 license bikes. A good alternative to Enfield 650's.

Grisos are lovely things. Wouldn't mind one myself. Also fancy Cali 1400 custom. The plain black naked one they've stopped making, not the full dresser. Always liked Guzzis.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:55 pm
That's a damn shame
Each to his own I suppose, if you like that sort of look then it might tick your boxes, to be fair I don't think it's particularly bad for the money, I just didn't like the look.

The one Bob has is nice, that looks authentic and true to the style, it is what it is and I think for the money it's probably what you expect.
I just felt that this racer was trying to be something it isn't, the chrome and the way it's been styled should be something a bit more exotic, but it's just a budget tart-up job.
JimboTheJetSet

Post by JimboTheJetSet »

I have a Monster 821 which ticks a lot of boxes for me ( hence why I bought it obviously!) but I must admit I do find myself perusing RE Interceptors quite a bit these days. I think I’d quite like one of those for more sedate bimbles.
Ducati Monster 821 in yellow. As god intended.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

My personal circumstances have changed a bit recently which means alongside everything else bikey that I've always done and will continue to do, I am also going to be doing a bit of two-up riding now, and some of that will be long trips/ tours, so I need a fun bike with a decent bit of shove that is comfy for two and can carry a bit of luggage too.

I've currently got my brother's K1300S in my garage on loan- it sort of ticks all the boxes on paper, and he's made me a very decent offer to try and make sure it stays in mine rather than his but good bike as it is, it's an IL4, porkier feeling than I would like, and just doesn't really do it for me.
I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I am able to choose and get exactly what I want, so I came up with a shortlist of three- namely the KTM SD1290GT, Triumph Tiger Sport, and Ducati 1200/1260 Multistrada.

I've ruled out two of my top contenders, namely the KTM - a brilliant bike but such a big old bird and ultimately just too too fugly ( I thought this wouldn't matter but when it came down to it, it does to me ) and the Triumph Tiger Sport;- ticks all the boxes, lovely engine, but for this bike, I would like a few more hp, so for me, that leaves the Multistrada.

Pretty much decided it has to be an "S" for the electronically adjustable suspension and ease of changing between one-up and two-up (although a nice barely used Pikes Peak one has thrown a spanner in the works and stands a good chance of over-ruling that as I'm a tart and love blingy things :hmmm: )- and that one aside, the current main debate I'm having with myself is whether the DVT motor is a must-have, mainly as there is a low mileage one owner and well priced pre-DVT S very local to me with full luggage and just about every other extra I would want, aside from Cruise control, which of course you only get on DVTs

I think what I really need to do is ride a DVT one back to back with non-DVT really then decide, unfortunately, that really isn't that easy to at the moment though, but I'm itching to go, so all experiences tips and opinions of 1200 (and 1260) MTSs to hopefully help me are welcomed! :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DVT ? elaborate ?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Ducati's variable valve timing, supposedly makes them smoother low down, no more power though really as far as I can make out - 2016(ish) onwards bikes have it , before that they don't
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Great bike the MT10.
I'm not sure it's worth spending an extra grand for the touring addition though. You only get a bit of toury flim-flam and you can probably do better with aftermarket accessories on a standard bike.
You only get the comfort seat, a taller screen, some hand guards, a sat-nav holder and the option of some not very waterproof luggage with the Touring.
IMO opinion any MT10 needs the comfort seat but when I rode one I didn't really feel it needed a tall screen. Perfectly alright as it is unless you're barreling down autobahns all day at three figure speeds, in which case it's not really the right bike anyway, not least because of fuel range. Handguards are a bit irrelevant, and there's masses of after market luggage and nav holder options.

I'd get a standard bike, spend the change on the Akra can and getting it mapped to improve the fueling and adapt for touring using aftermarket bits customised to my needs.

But that's just me.. :1 Fab bikes either way. It's the naked I'd have if I didn't have a Superduke.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Gimlet wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am Great bike the MT10.
I'm not sure it's worth spending an extra grand for the touring addition though. You only get a bit of toury flim-flam and you can probably do better with aftermarket accessories on a standard bike.
You only get the comfort seat, a taller screen, some hand guards, a sat-nav holder and the option of some not very waterproof luggage with the Touring.
IMO opinion any MT10 needs the comfort seat but when I rode one I didn't really feel it needed a tall screen. Perfectly alright as it is unless you're barreling down autobahns all day at three figure speeds, in which case it's not really the right bike anyway, not least because of fuel range. Handguards are a bit irrelevant, and there's masses of after market luggage and nav holder options.

I'd get a standard bike, spend the change on the Akra can and getting it mapped to improve the fueling and adapt for touring using aftermarket bits customised to my needs.

But that's just me.. :1 Fab bikes either way. It's the naked I'd have if I didn't have a Superduke.
Considering he's owned 2 before, it would arguably make a LOT of sense assuming they're really pillion friendly.
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

I would really, really love one of these but I feel that it might labour a wee bit with two up (we're not exactly wee) and full luggage being an 800.

110bhp and 61ft/lb of torque but at £20k plus its more than a bit steep
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:32 pm
Harry wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 pm I must look at the V85TT at least 2-3 times a week, I like the yellow one but the new 'Travel' version in a sand colour also looks good.
It's a good job there are no Guzzi shops here because I'd already have one.
I don't get that one at all. The littler cafe race, i'm all over it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTO-GUZZI-V ... SwZI1eqDUI

I generally like Guzzis - but the V7s I just can't seem to like. They seem like a pastiche and seem too small when you see one being ridden. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
G.P

Post by G.P »

Those Guzzis are ok if you like sub 50bhp. I'm with Harry at liking the one KFB had got. I'd still rather put my money into a Classic Tonti framed big bore Guzzi Though, if not a Le mans, a 1000S (you can see where the black V7 gets its looks from :) )

I'd Happily have a V85TT, a Griso and the 1200 Sport as well though ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Rockburner wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:45 pm
I generally like Guzzis - but the V7s I just can't seem to like. They seem like a pastiche and seem too small when you see one being ridden. :(
All the manufacturers are punting out bikes with design based on landmark design,the nostalgia thing sells stuff for sure. For the most part these classic revisits don't work for me. A few recognisable parts from the classic seldom mix well aesthetically with modern parts,they sit rather uncomfortably on the eye.

I loved the look of old Guzzis,but that reissue in the pic looks like a cheap Chinese knock off,the unfortunate thing is it's neither,else it may have had a place.

You can't blame the manufacturers for cashing in,they run businesses. Motorcycles are very often way more than the sum of their parts,both visually and practically,that's the part I don't think they understand.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
RSW46

Post by RSW46 »

It depends on the day of the week for me - it's Tuesday so I fancy a R1200GS today, but tomorrow I might want an S1000XR. By the end of the week I'll be mulling over the Tracer 900GT, and on the weekend if it's sunny I'll be thinking Multistrada 1200. When it comes to buying a bike to replace my KTM SMT I'll be doing a lot of test riding that's for sure!
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Guzzi 1400 custom - custom...

A Diavel might be faster but I know which one I'd rather have.
Artwork concept only I suspect but it should be built.

Imagec25c6317a93325ed9dbdd5f6524b1604
G.P

Post by G.P »

I haven't replied to this most properly, just butted in on other threads within this thread :)

I've only fairly recently (Dec 19) got my Ducati Monster 1200 (which I swapped my 790 KTM for) and am still in the honeymoon phase with it.

I've also still got my Triumph Tiger 800 and my 2 project Ducati 900SS Neither complete) so have most bases covered; a stupidly powerful modern thing with electronics and lovely soundtrack, a commuter/ tourer / mule, One '94 900SS Ducati as a trackbike build and another '93 900SS as an original (ish) restoration.

During lock-down, I've Idly considered maybe selling the Triumph and the Ducati and getting one "do it all" bike, but the one that attracts me most is the Multistrada which it far to tall for me. Also, I want to get some miles on the Monster.

I'd like an old twin shock trailly and do peruse ebay quite often. we've got loads of green lanes around here (and BiL has a farm) so it would be silly not to! :)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Gimlet wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:46 pm Guzzi 1400 custom - custom...

A Diavel might be faster but I know which one I'd rather have.
Artwork concept only I suspect but it should be built.

Imagec25c6317a93325ed9dbdd5f6524b1604

Presuming that's based on a Griso (they go, and handle, just ask Trog), that's really rather nice......
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

G.P wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:54 pm I haven't replied to this most properly, just butted in on other threads within this thread :)

I've only fairly recently (Dec 19) got my Ducati Monster 1200 (which I swapped my 790 KTM for) and am still in the honeymoon phase with it.

I've also still got my Triumph Tiger 800 and my 2 project Ducati 900SS Neither complete) so have most bases covered; a stupidly powerful modern thing with electronics and lovely soundtrack, a commuter/ tourer / mule, One '94 900SS Ducati as a trackbike build and another '93 900SS as an original (ish) restoration.

During lock-down, I've Idly considered maybe selling the Triumph and the Ducati and getting one "do it all" bike, but the one that attracts me most is the Multistrada which it far to tall for me. Also, I want to get some miles on the Monster.

I'd like an old twin shock trailly and do peruse ebay quite often. we've got loads of green lanes around here (and BiL has a farm) so it would be silly not to! :)
Having a 'do-it-all' bike is good - but it's a compromise. (well - for some. ;) )

A bike that's comfy for the commute won't necessarily make for a good track-bike, nor will a bike that's good for trackdays be that good off-road (there are exceptions). A bike that's piss-easy and cheap to maintain regularly (high-miler) might not give the best outright performance.

I know most people don't 'get' the Rockster - but for me it truly is a 'do-anything' bike - it's just that it's 'capable' rather than 'excellent' at everything.
non quod, sed quomodo
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Gimlet wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 am Great bike the MT10.

Agree, they are a top road bike
As Weeksy says I've had two of them, and in fact your post has reminded me, I have still got the comfort seat, small MRA screen, and Ventura rack etc I from mine in the garage, ought to get those listed somewhere
Anyway, I did 7-8k miles on each, including some big (2-3k) trips, I could cruise in relative comfort all day at 90-100 if I wanted, was brilliant fun on just about any road .
Loved every minute and still is my favourite ever engine for a road bike, but they are pretty crap as a two-up bike IMO, hence looking at others