Working from Home?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Working from Home?

Post by Horse »

Are you able to work reasonably successfully from home? Will you?

My employer has, so far, been 'following government guidance', so that's fairly easy to guess as the next decision.

So, armed with laptop (and spare monitor) and a phone, I'll be ok for desk based stuff. But the three day trip to Kent will be canned, as will the two trips to the Midlands, although one of those might go ahead in truncated form as a teleconference.

Some of my work is with roadworks, such as major motorway schemes. I don't know yet what the implications are for them, but WfH isn't really an option for the sites and their supply chain!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
G.P

Re: Working from Home?

Post by G.P »

A couple of weeks ago we started on a week at home, week in the office rota. Half of the team is in Germany so Skype and Teleconferencing is the order of the day anyway.
I'm WFH this week, but given Boris's speech yesterday, I suspect I will be next week too.
There's a chance they may park the Program I'm working on, in which case I'll be out on my ear as II'm a contractor...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

My work is IT, i don't actually look after much kit in my own office. Sydney, Singapore, Netherlands, Germany etc...

So being at home makes no difference.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Nope, one job is driving a van (today), another is possibly fiddling with a wind turbine to make it work and another involves doing various things outside.

One, the modelling, they could possibly use a lifesize cardboard cutout, but there#s laws about sending offensive material by post.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

I’m on the operational side working on the motorway. Although I could do 25% of my work at home it won’t happen. I can see our role altering as the emergency services start to have reduced resources, no idea of what direction but when the UK gets shut I guess I will still be out there!!!
Mick.
Horse

Post by Horse »

636mick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 am I’m on the operational side working on the motorway. Although I could do 25% of my work at home it won’t happen. I can see our role altering as the emergency services start to have reduced resources, no idea of what direction but when the UK gets shut I guess I will still be out there!!!
Mick.
Yes, I have (as you know) first hand experience of your role and responsibilities.

Mind you, the roads were quiet yesterday, they might be almost abandoned today. Do you have a football in the TOV?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Nope, but we’ve got one at the outstation, and we will soon have an Xbox there too!!!!
Let me know when you’re next up near Watford Gap, kettle will be on.
Mick
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

I'm a contractor and my client is in Manchester and I commute up on a Monday and back on a Friday. I alternate between early morning Monday commutes and Monday night commutes and this week I was due to travel up last night at 18:00. I watched the Government briefing and just decidd to follow the advice, it would have been reckless of me to keep travelling up, staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Fat Jack wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:25 am
G.P wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:29 am A couple of weeks ago we started on a week at home, week in the office rota. Half of the team is in Germany so Skype and Teleconferencing is the order of the day anyway.
I'm WFH this week, but given Boris's speech yesterday, I suspect I will be next week too.
There's a chance they may park the Program I'm working on, in which case I'll be out on my ear as II'm a contractor...
The programme I was on got binned. They weren't just early adopters for technology :lol:

Between viruses, falling stocks and ir35 the market is pretty dire. Fortunately I'm in no rush to jump back in so for next few months I'm going to be working on technology and training for pleasure, riding motorbikes on sunny days and enjoy the ability to train when I like rather than at stupid o clock.

That's if the world doesn't collapse first..
Yep, I'm also on the wrong end of an IR35 determination. Might look to take refuge in a Perm job somewhere. Also considering down sizing and then doing something fun instead :)
McNab

Post by McNab »

Well, I'll be working from home tomorrow.

I've been waiting for the company to pull the pin for the past week and now they have. In fact, I would be working from home today, but they didn't send the email until 10pm last night, so I didn't see it until this morning.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

My Charity is WFH from today. I'm at the office to sort out some contracts and get the cleaners sorted as well.

We will be having deep cleans and a skeleton crew on for only a couple of days a week.

At least this way we can ensure we minimise risks and still get decent levels of work done. We are fortunate to have a robust system that can cope with the levels of remote working we are now instigating.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

'Trialling' wfh today, because the MD wasn't aware that my team have been wfh every Friday for the last month. But by the looks of it, it'll be a semi-permanent thing for the next month or so.
I'm all setup though - decent desk, decent peripherals etc. I was always going to push for a day or two a week at home in this job anyway - now I just get to show that it works.

This way I also get 2 hours of my day back and can work on the bikes. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

We've been told to keep away from the office, fortunately in the connected world with MS Teams and Skype I can do 95% of my job at home.
Struggle is that majority of my staff are contractors and if I can't find them work that takes them out of the office they don't get paid....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yes and no. I photograph or scan rare books and archives so need to be in my studio to capture the images, but i could do the post production at home.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Latest advice:

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I only pop into the office / lab twice a week now.
If (as a wheezy asthmatic) I have to go into lock down for 12 weeks it'll be interesting, might have to make arrangements to have some lab time once a week maybe with no one else in.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I'm in the underlying medical conditions/flu jab group which the Chief Medical officer suggested should do 12 weeks isolation. I went into work today got my laptop/monitor and chair and have set up my own little work station.
I'm meant to have a 2 day site visit around Cambridge next week and 3 days on site in Peterborough the week after, which currently I still intend doing. I've cancelled two nights in a hotel in Peterborough which will just mean a 1.5 hour commute at each end of the day. But the work still has to be and want a job in 6 months time assuming I survive :(
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

636mick wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 am I’m on the operational side working on the motorway. Although I could do 25% of my work at home it won’t happen. I can see our role altering as the emergency services start to have reduced resources, no idea of what direction but when the UK gets shut I guess I will still be out there!!!
Mick.
Are you anywhere near the M20, M25 or M4? If you are and purely on a selfish note would you do everything humanly possible to keep them all running nice and smoothly on Saturday pretty please..... :lol:
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
636mick

Post by 636mick »

WelshDragon wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
Are you anywhere near the M20, M25 or M4? If you are and purely on a selfish note would you do everything humanly possible to keep them all running nice and smoothly on Saturday pretty please..... :lol:
Ha, no, M1, Northamptonshire mostly, sorry!
Mick
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

New Surface issued to me (ack spit) and full access to the VPN. I finish tomorrow or thursday for 12 week self isolation. :shock: