Consultation on changes to bike test

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

Consultation on changes to bike test

Post by Horse »

Happened across this:

https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/consult ... e-launched

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has launched a consultation on a number of proposals that could see a significant change to motorcycle licence testing.

As part of a larger group of proposed changes that would also affect cars, vans, lorries and minibuses, the DVSA is inviting the public’s views on changing the minimum motorcycle capacity for A2 tests from the current 395cc to 245cc.

Explaining the thinking behind the proposal, the DVSA said: “Reducing the size of the motorcycles that may be used for the A2 motorcycle test acknowledges changes in engine capabilities and power output. Logically, if a motorcycle has a power that it requires an A2 licence to ride it, then a candidate ought to be able to take their test using that machine.

“Many people would find the lighter 250cc models of motorcycle much more suitable for them. It could also encourage more people to upgrade from an A1 category motorcycle (up to 11KW and 125cc) after their compulsory basic training (CBT). They might then feel comfortable and safe enough to upgrade their motorcycle to a 250cc or slightly larger model.”

The consultation will be open until March 22 2021

Links to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... test-rules
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Re: Consultation on changes to bike test

Post by Horse »

OK, I haven't thought long and hard about this, but ....

... it seems like a good idea.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

When someone is on their test for the smaller licence, whatever that is, the examiner follows on his bike and talks through headset, directing him/her through the m/c test manoeuvres, all within the speed limits etc, and it's a pass or fail.

When someone is in their bigger bike test, wti, whats the difference, from the examiner's pov. ??
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:23 pm When someone is on their test for the smaller licence, whatever that is, the examiner follows on his bike and talks through headset, directing him/her through the m/c test manoeuvres, all within the speed limits etc, and it's a pass or fail.

When someone is in their bigger bike test, wti, whats the difference, from the examiner's pov. ??
None

In theory the test for the A1, A2 and A license is the same with examiner following pupil around and directing them and its a pass or fail.

The only difference is in machine size and the rider using the machine capacity as it should be

A CBT road ride is different as its still a learning phase and under instruction so if the pupil makes a small mistake (not something dangerous) they haven't failed, but need further instruction to fix that fault and as long as the pupil can show they have learned and dont repeat the mistake then the road ride can continue.

The A1 license seems pretty pointless as a 17 year old trying to get through the categories as quickly as possible cant do his/her A2 till they are 19 anyway so they have the choice of paying out for theory, part 1 and part 2 on the 125 to ride without L plates for 2 years then take the part 1 and part 2 again on an A2 bike ...or.... ride on L plates for 2 years , pass theory then part 1 and part 2 saving the costs of a part 1 and part 2 for the A1. IMHO of course
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've read that last paragraph 4 times, I ain't reading it 5. 😄👍 So, it's impossible to tell if a pupil can handle a big bike because of the speed restrictions, or are they temporarily allowed to hit the ton where safe to do so. ? 😉
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:42 pm I've read that last paragraph 4 times, I ain't reading it 5. 😄👍 So, it's impossible to tell if a pupil can handle a big bike because of the speed restrictions, or are they temporarily allowed to hit the ton where safe to do so. ? 😉
Nope, the entire test must be conducted within the law, so no breaking speed limits. Its like taking a car test in a 450 bhp BMW M3 for a full license. The car can do 155 mph but you cant show the examiner that you can as any breach of speed limit is a fail

As for the last paragraph, try this instead without getting lost ;)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... icence.pdf
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

The test report sheet is the same regardless of capacity. When I worked in Wellingborough the examiners rarely took 125s on the A45 bypass as it was an elevated dual carriageway and wind would make it harder for the small bike but they would get to go out on NSL country lanes. I have found a few examiners expect better progress on the bigger bikes and better handling on the small bikes but it was subtle and more likely to be a minor fault and often just a word of advice (whether they had passed or failed)
Bigyin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:37 pm The A1 license seems pretty pointless as a 17 year old trying to get through the categories as quickly as possible cant do his/her A2 till they are 19 anyway so they have the choice of paying out for theory, part 1 and part 2 on the 125 to ride without L plates for 2 years then take the part 1 and part 2 again on an A2 bike ...or.... ride on L plates for 2 years , pass theory then part 1 and part 2 saving the costs of a part 1 and part 2 for the A1. IMHO of course
I could sell the idea to a 17 year old (or their parents) if they had a brand new 125, the cost of the course would save them far more on insurance (I remember a lad on an RC125 saving £800 in one year) and they wouldn't have to do another CBT in two years. Most of them were looking at getting a car and I said it would be good practise for the test, I still saw a lot o them back in 2 years because they hadn't got their act together on sorting out their driver theory or training.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

dayglo jim wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:04 pm The test report sheet is the same regardless of capacity. When I worked in Wellingborough the examiners rarely took 125s on the A45 bypass as it was an elevated dual carriageway and wind would make it harder for the small bike but they would get to go out on NSL country lanes. I have found a few examiners expect better progress on the bigger bikes and better handling on the small bikes but it was subtle and more likely to be a minor fault and often just a word of advice (whether they had passed or failed)

Agreed its the same here as we are on the coast and the local A47 dual can be hit with winds they use the country NSL more for the 125 and even in some cases the A2 bikes weather dependant...... i thought i had covered it with "the rider using the machine capacity as it should be"
Bigyin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:37 pm The A1 license seems pretty pointless as a 17 year old trying to get through the categories as quickly as possible cant do his/her A2 till they are 19 anyway so they have the choice of paying out for theory, part 1 and part 2 on the 125 to ride without L plates for 2 years then take the part 1 and part 2 again on an A2 bike ...or.... ride on L plates for 2 years , pass theory then part 1 and part 2 saving the costs of a part 1 and part 2 for the A1. IMHO of course
I could sell the idea to a 17 year old (or their parents) if they had a brand new 125, the cost of the course would save them far more on insurance (I remember a lad on an RC125 saving £800 in one year) and they wouldn't have to do another CBT in two years. Most of them were looking at getting a car and I said it would be good practise for the test, I still saw a lot o them back in 2 years because they hadn't got their act together on sorting out their driver theory or training.
In the last year i can only recall 2 lads going for A1 tests and both were on the back of parents wanting them to get the maximum training for sons going out on the road on 2 wheels. One has been in to say he had been stopped 3 times within 6 months after passing his part 2 as he is small, looks young (even in full bike kit) because traffic plod thought he was riding without L plates illegally ..... do everything properly and still get tugged ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:31 am OK, I haven't thought long and hard about this, but ....

... it seems like a good idea.
Having had a look through the proposal, i tend to agree as it would allow physically smaller bikes to be used for those challenged in height/leg length without just restricting a physically big bike.

We currently have a couple of GS500 twins for most of the A2 work and a restricted 600 for the taller students but a couple of our little lady pupils have struggled even with the 500 so we are looking at lowering something suitable.

EDIT: I dont see the proposed changes vastly changing the number of people using bikes or applying for tests but might make those that do have an easier time of it. To expand the use of bikes let them use bus lanes at all times in all cities, free parking for them and exemption from all congestion type charges....... that will increase the uptake
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

IMO smaller bikes should be allowed.

As a vertically-challenged short-arse I have problems with 'big' bikes. I can and have ridden stuff where, sat on the seat with the bike upright, I could not even get a single toe on the deck, but I was acutely aware that I was always one unexpected stop away from falling off. I was only able to manage it because I had 000's of miles of experience. If I had to learn on that bike I would have fallen off a dozen times a day.

As an aside, the current trend for adventure-style bikes is not doing me any favours.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:37 pm
The A1 license seems pretty pointless as a 17 year old trying to get through the categories as quickly as possible cant do his/her A2 till they are 19 anyway so they have the choice of paying out for theory, part 1 and part 2 on the 125 to ride without L plates for 2 years then take the part 1 and part 2 again on an A2 bike ...or.... ride on L plates for 2 years , pass theory then part 1 and part 2 saving the costs of a part 1 and part 2 for the A1. IMHO of course
My son did his CBT and was told, 'see you in two years', for the reason you mentioned. But he went on to do his A1 test. Why? He had to, if he were to join his mother and me on a ride down to the Loire. It's not possible to ride abroad on L plates, it seems.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Scootabout wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:07 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:37 pm
My son did his CBT and was told, 'see you in two years', for the reason you mentioned. But he went on to do his A1 test. Why? He had to, if he were to join his mother and me on a ride down to the Loire. It's not possible to ride abroad on L plates, it seems.
You found a reason for him to take the test and a good one too for him to go abroad on a 125 :thumbup: