What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

I got my laptop back :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Gave up with the email setting up and talked to the Mac Guy down in the valley (well, down and up the other side a bit!!). He said "download this so I can do it remotely" - my laptop said NO!! So I sent him screen shots of some of the info from the computer and it turns out it was running a very old OS. When I admitted to having it for 6 years and doing zero TLC he said to take the computer to him

He did finish it yesterday but I had a physio appointment in the valley today so agreed to collect it this afternoon

It looks a bit different when you start it up but everything seems to work well :D

He even said it was a pretty good machine, so I'm happy!!

So apart from the Transit spitting some of its guts and the different physio (mine isn't back to work yet :( ) hurting me almost as much as the usual one, I've had a good day!! (The problem with the physio in the valley doing stuff is that then I have to drive 30 mins home and today had to park my friend's car and then wait in the snow for a bus!!! Not the best after a serious physio when usually you can just walk for less than 5 mins to get home!! LOL)

I managed to get online in time for a French lesson which was good as I missed Wednesday's - for some reason the learning platform doesn't work on my phone or my ipad :roll:

And it's still snowing. Looking forward to going walking tomorrow - hopefully a layer of soft snow on top of a groomed piste :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Visited a comms room today to survey some issues.... see if you can spot the cause.
Attachments
a tad damp.jpeg
a tad damp.jpeg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Blood?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Lots of condensation!!! That is rather bad. And blood.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

:clap:

Although that's rust, not blood. IT kit is dying in there. It was like a Turkish bath.... :think:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:29 pm :clap:

Although that's rust, not blood. IT kit is dying in there. It was like a Turkish bath.... :think:
Don't they have aircon running in there? Seems they also need a dehumidifier!!
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

the_priest wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Something to do with a blocked pipe, meant that the air being circulated in there was saturated - it’s a cold server room. Heavily water laden air + cold room = that. It’s got high voltage in there too... I told them none of my engineers are going back in there until they solve the H&S risk...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Something to do with a blocked pipe, meant that the air being circulated in there was saturated - it’s a cold server room. Heavily water laden air + cold room = that. It’s got high voltage in there too... I told them none of my engineers are going back in there until they solve the H&S risk...
CCB1EA7B-2F78-4C4A-BB97-785D88E5E7D2.jpeg
CCB1EA7B-2F78-4C4A-BB97-785D88E5E7D2.jpeg (230.38 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
This was the DC module at Godington Substation, it had a bad moisture/condensation problem and 2 staff attempted to replace a blown 750V 2A fuse........ One of them sustained severe burns.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:17 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm

CCB1EA7B-2F78-4C4A-BB97-785D88E5E7D2.jpeg

This was the DC module at Godington Substation, it had a bad moisture/condensation problem and 2 staff attempted to replace a blown 750V 2A fuse........ One of them sustained severe burns.
Looks like that dried it out.
Potter

Post by Potter »

It's not rust, that's a chalk line that the electricians used to make sure they mounted the containment straight, a common shout on site is "mate, give me a hand to ping this line".

An Engineer would then review psychrometrics in the room and make sure it's catered for. That could be badly designed air conditioning and humidity control, but it's more likely poor maintenance, blocked condensate drains and poor airflow in that room.

That's why I don't do data centres, they're a pita and if you're sitting on uncapped liability then when a bank goes bang you're in trouble.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Poor maintenance for sure. We always installed seperate aircon units for redundancy and immediately put them on a maintenance schedule for six month checks. Also had a humidity sensor in the room on the alert system and CCTV camera to record entry into the room. Got to do it properly. Now I just pray hard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Forgot someone was coming to view/buy my SH300 today. I got a ebay message saying he'd be here at 12:30! Rushed out to check it wouod start and it did instantly. Whizzed round the block on it to make sure the brakes weren't binding and they aren't. Runs like a swiss watch! Such a cracking scoot. I'll be quite sorry to see it go tbh.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Scooter has gone. Sold it to a lad from Surry who was freezing looking at it but was now going to ride it home wearing a lightweight windcheater type jacket. I offered him a free padded hi-viz jacket but he reckoned he'l be alright! :wtf:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:54 pm Scooter has gone. Sold it to a lad from Surry who was freezing looking at it but was now going to ride it home wearing a lightweight windcheater type jacket. I offered him a free padded hi-viz jacket but he reckoned he'l be alright! :wtf:
I often see kids on Scooters out in winter without gloves on, I don't know how they do it!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 am Forgot someone was coming to view/buy my SH300 today. I got a ebay message saying he'd be here at 12:30! Rushed out to check it wouod start and it did instantly. Whizzed round the block on it to make sure the brakes weren't binding and they aren't. Runs like a swiss watch! Such a cracking scoot. I'll be quite sorry to see it go tbh.
I had the same twinges of regret when I sold mine. A great old,reliable workhorse,with a bit of fun included. Finish is a bit patchy,the wheels stayed like new,but fork bottoms and brake brackets were shit,paint fell off in no time. I'd have another,if I had the need.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

50mph + winds,snow and a high tide caused some walkers to call me a mad bastard for doing this part of the walk.

Such a buzz. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My daughter told me today that her and her boyfriend are looking at buying a house together. :shock: Like a lot of kids they worry about getting on the property ladder, so have taken advantage of the cheap deals and subsidies that are about. They find out Monday if they can be approved etc blah. Super pleased for them but its about 40 miles away, which for my wife is like they've emigrated! :roll: :lol: Mind you, I say that, but I'll probably blub when my baby girl leaves home! :(
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:09 pm My daughter told me today that her and her boyfriend are looking at buying a house together. :shock: Like a lot of kids they worry about getting on the property ladder, so have taken advantage of the cheap deals and subsidies that are about. They find out Monday if they can be approved etc blah. Super pleased for them but its about 40 miles away, which for my wife is like they've emigrated! :roll: :lol: Mind you, I say that, but I'll probably blub when my baby girl leaves home! :(
Heh,you will and all. :lol:

I've one on Oz,one in Engerland and daughter is fairly local at about 40 miles away. She was the last to go and just moved out last year. I'ts still a bit strange,plus the lockdown bollox hasn't helped.

Eldest son never came back from uni,so he has been gone since he was 21 and we've all grown used to that.When middle son moved to Oz,the day we left him to the airport was like a death in the family,I was a mess! I know the world is a smaller place these days,but it went from gigging together every other night,to him not being there. Took me bloody ages to come around. :roll:
Walt Whitman
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Just got inadvertently cheered up by my neighbour! I was just out the front and he called out, "You alright Tai"?
I replied, "Yes why"?
He said, "When you pulled up on your bike yesterday, my car said it -4 out there, so I thought there must be something fooking wrong with you riding a bike in those temperatures"!

:lol:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Skub wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:07 pm

50mph + winds,snow and a high tide caused some walkers to call me a mad bastard for doing this part of the walk.

Such a buzz. :lol:
That prolly qualifies as a hike :thumbup: