Netflix Recommendations

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
slowsider

Re: Netflix Recommendations

Post by slowsider »

To The Lake.
Escaping a pandemic in the snow.

The odd creaky plot device, but full of unexpected twists.

:thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I keep hearing that there's a remake of The Stand knocking about. Anybody know if it is, or will be, on Netflix?

Oh, and working my way through Ozark at the moment. Good, but clearly following the proven formula of Breaking Bad.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Jody wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 pm THRED RESURECTION ALERT

Just been handed a netflix password

So far I've found;-

Cobra Kai, characters from Karate kid, but now. First 3 episodes have been great but I think I'll grow tired of the over acting/cliched characters/ having every aspect spelt out to you 100 times.

My octopus teacher. Some great photography, and it was pretty cool the relationship he built. But for my money not the heart wrencher I was told it would be
Cobra Kai was good to start with but gets really cliched towards the end ...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've not watched it yet myself, but this keeps getting recommended to me?

Taff

Post by Taff »

We've started on Lupin.

It's not too bad to be fair but it's in French, dubbed over in English. This makes me notice how much I lip read in normal conversation and is taking a bit of getting used to. The dubbing is a bit robotic and loses the flow of the conversation but it's not so had that's it's unbearable.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I am liking Lupin ...
Started watching some weird Japanese thing where people get to play a computer game for real - and everyone else has disappeared. Bit too weird , a bit too violent ...
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:10 am I keep hearing that there's a remake of The Stand knocking about. Anybody know if it is, or will be, on Netflix?
Its been popping up on my firestick which means it must be on prime I think.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

bevvo wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:55 am

Its been popping up on my firestick.
Oooh, matron!

bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Phnar phnar!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well i finished Ozark... Well, series 1-3 anyway, i don't think we have series 4 here yet.

It was OK, but did get a bit too far fetched for me.

People seem to rave over The Expanse, but i've watched 5-6 episodes and not really getting it.

I've been re-watching Henry Coles Motorcycle Show, which is enjoyable. But i'm going to need something new to go for now.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 am Well i finished Ozark... Well, series 1-3 anyway, i don't think we have series 4 here yet.

People seem to rave over The Expanse, but i've watched 5-6 episodes and not really getting it.

I've been re-watching Henry Coles Motorcycle Show, which is enjoyable. But i'm going to need something new to go for now.
Did you watch yesterdays show? Apparently he toured Gran Canaria. I'm gonna watch it later on catch up.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:35 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 am Well i finished Ozark... Well, series 1-3 anyway, i don't think we have series 4 here yet.

Did you watch yesterdays show? Apparently he toured Gran Canaria. I'm gonna watch it later on catch up.
I'm fairly sure i've seen most... so you'd have to give me the episode and series reference i'm afraid.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taff wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:37 am We've started on Lupin.

It's not too bad to be fair but it's in French, dubbed over in English. This makes me notice how much I lip read in normal conversation and is taking a bit of getting used to. The dubbing is a bit robotic and loses the flow of the conversation but it's not so had that's it's unbearable.
I can't abide dubbing - never understood why you wouldn't want to 'feel' it in the original language and go with the subtitles.

I spent a miserable 90 minutes at the cinema, chaperoning some youngsters, 'watching' a Pirates of the Caribbean dubbed into French. The worst of both worlds in so many ways, the playacting of the effete Johnny Depp voiced by a gruff Frenchman. ffs
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I really liked Lupin. Fun, and slick. Felt very much like the Sherlock thing from a few years ago, style-wise.

Definitely didn't go for the dubbing option though, can't stand it! Was very enjoyable with subtitles and it's always interesting to test your schoolboy French aural comprehension :)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Lupin was like getting half a series !
Umbrella Academy has it's moments - but towards the end of the second season begins to just repeat.
Man in a High Castle has been good, but a bit loopy to follow ... but now into series 4 and it has become nonsensical.

I am with El Chef on Expanse - watched about 3 episodes about 3 times - and just find myself doing something else...
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

It's a bit of a slow burn, but the main draw for science geeks is that the physics is the most accurate ever done in a TV series. Re the pot - it gets MUCH better.....
weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:25 am I've been re-watching Henry Coles Motorcycle Show, which is enjoyable. But i'm going to need something new to go for now.
I always want to watch those - but Cole comes across as such a twat I simply can't. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 am

I can't abide dubbing - never understood why you wouldn't want to 'feel' it in the original language and go with the subtitles.
I hate subtitles - I can't read them while watching the 'action' or the actors faces so either I get the lines, but not the acting, or vice-versa. I don't lip read so dubbing doesn't bother me as much, as long as it's done well, obvs.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am I always want to watch those - but Cole comes across as such a twat I simply can't. :(
Between him and his mates he builds some lovely things, the Norton was superb, the Phil Read rep Honda was lovely too. If you like bikes i can't comprehend how you can't enjoy it.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:23 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am I always want to watch those - but Cole comes across as such a twat I simply can't. :(
Between him and his mates he builds some lovely things, the Norton was superb, the Phil Read rep Honda was lovely too. If you like bikes i can't comprehend how you can't enjoy it.
I'm sure they do - but he always comes across as an over-bearing twat who doesn't let anyone talk but himself, despite him appearing to know very little about what he's talking about.

Jeez - I'm starting to sound like my dad. :(
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:27 am I'm sure they do - but he always comes across as an over-bearing twat who doesn't let anyone talk but himself, despite him appearing to know very little about what he's talking about.

Jeez - I'm starting to sound like my dad. :(
He's toured most of the planet on motorbikes, he owns dozens and has built more. He's ridden everything from drag bikes to Cubs and everything inbetween, i very much doubt he knows very little. He may be a little eccentric with some of his thoughts, he may even be a bit of a tool as well... But clearly he loves bikes and riding with a passion more than most.