Scrambler hipster bollox

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Couchy

Scrambler hipster bollox

Post by Couchy »

With a unit empty and work cancelled and the VFR nearly done thoughts turned to a project. Base bike had to be local and cheap, a 2002 Kawasaki ER5 turned up that had done 16000 miles and was completely standard for £600. It was bought and delivered here.

TBH it looked quite good, no time to waste and with a scrambler idea in mind it was stripped before I'd remembered to take a photo lol

Plan is rear subframe and seat shortened, longer shock, bespoke exhaust, small headlight no instruments apart from speedo.

Parts ordered, seat, headlight, shocks, paint, tyres etc.

Day 1 Wednesday it was stripped down and engine was out and cleaned ready for paint.

Day 2 the new seat arrived, yayy

ImageUntitled by Tony H, on Flickr

It was shit and no chance of fitting so decision made to modify the standard one and get a local upholstery place to foam and cover it. Standard base was cut then heated and flattened. Rear subframe was cut to suit, will be welded later with a new loop over the back of it.

Cardboard templates were made for the steel plates to be cut for the pegs and handed to the metal cutting man next door.

This is now, should get the frame and engine painted tomorrow and reassembly can start next week

Yorick

Re: Scrambler hipster bollox

Post by Yorick »

I can just see Couchy with a mullet :)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm I'm envious of you having a project, because at the moment I don't, but I've never seen a Jap bike turned into one of these hipster bikes that didn't end up worse than a standard bike, so I'll watch this with interest.
Starting point is pretty low with an ER5, depends how you measure worse when it’s done as it’ll def look better
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:28 pm
Harry wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm I'm envious of you having a project, because at the moment I don't, but I've never seen a Jap bike turned into one of these hipster bikes that didn't end up worse than a standard bike, so I'll watch this with interest.
Starting point is pretty low with an ER5, depends how you measure worse when it’s done as it’ll def look better
Just stick a GSXR1000 engine in. Then you won't care what it looks like as it'll be vertical the whole time. And you are (ahem) the self proclaimed TRC wheelie king :)
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

A build thats going on at the moment elsewhere.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Harry wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 am
Obviously that will be personal opinion.

I like modifying bikes, it's what I grew up on and we all did it, but the manufacturer spends a lot of money getting something to look just right and rarely have I seen any individual do better in his garage. There are some very notable exceptions though*, hence why I said I'll be watching with interest. My modified LC looks better to me but the majority of people I meet nod in appreciation and then usually comment that they prefer the standard bikes.

*And some very famous exceptions, like the Sanctuary Kawasakis, the Spondons, etc.
We’re starting with an ER5, it’s shit as standard and has no desirability. It’ll still be the same bike underneath but with better suspension so should ride better. It’ll be lighter so should go faster. That’s two improvements. Looks well they are personal but no one surely thinks and ER is nice lol
erizo

Post by erizo »

Aesthetically, the ER5 was not exactly the most stunning bike, but it did have one saving grace.

That engine - they are frigging brilliant engines!

The basic engine in various levels of tune was used in the ER, GPZ500, and Vulcan.

They are all mechanically noisy engines (not the Ducati ‘shaking a bucket of bolts’ noisey, but still noisey!), but go on and on with regular oil changes.

Good choice for a hack project that you don’t want to have to keep pushing home.
did i just type that?....aw crap!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Neglected to take photos but the frame has gone to be powder coated and the swingarm has been painted. Dropped the forks into next door and they quickly shot blasted them so they are ready to paint and have the gaitors fitted. Should start assembly next week and hopefully done the week after

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Any further developments Couchie?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:06 pm Any further developments Couchie?
Lots, but the lazy bugger ain't posted them here. I've told him off
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Right then, tank wheels and frame back assembly can begin

Seat pan made then it’s off for a nice brown leather seat. Once dry built it’ll be taken apart and all bolts sent for black coating. Got to source better bars and a headlight next
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It's not my thing, but looks like a cracking job you're doing.
If you can only start doing 2-3 a month and growing your beard, you'll be opening a bike shed cafe in no time at all.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm It's not my thing, but looks like a cracking job you're doing.
If you can only start doing 2-3 a month and growing your beard, you'll be opening a bike shed cafe in no time at all.
He might do an orange one
:thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Why a brown seat?

Is it a rule in the Hipster bike bible of Hipsterdom?

Or do they handle so badly a brown seat is actually a practical consideration?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Skub wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:53 pm Why a brown seat?

Is it a rule in the Hipster bike bible of Hipsterdom?

Or do they handle so badly a brown seat is actually a practical consideration?
The men with soft beards, they like brown seats, the men with soft beards, they buy these things !

Next week it’s off over the courtyard for a custom made 2 into 1 exhaust then more building
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

This is being built next door and looks all the awesome

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Harry wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:11 am
Couchy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:54 pm This is being built next door and looks all the awesome

https://flic.kr/p/2iWzmtJ
What is it?
1930s Matchless or JAP 1000cc engine i think, don't know the frame, but plunger rear suspension is a brave choice if it's a special. If its a rebuild of an original period bike then the rear suspension is original.
Mind you, they didn't build many bikes with those engines, iirc they were mainly fitted to the 3-wheeler Morgans.
non quod, sed quomodo
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Rockburner wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:15 pm
Harry wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:11 am
Couchy wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:54 pm This is being built next door and looks all the awesome

What is it?
1930s Matchless or JAP 1000cc engine i think, don't know the frame, but plunger rear suspension is a brave choice if it's a special. If its a rebuild of an original period bike then the rear suspension is original.
Mind you, they didn't build many bikes with those engines, iirc they were mainly fitted to the 3-wheeler Morgans.
I’ll get some more info tomorrow about the frame 👍
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Apparently engine is a 1947 998 JAP and frame is a Norton ES2 plunger.....
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Couchy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:41 pm Apparently engine is a 1947 998 JAP and frame is a Norton ES2 plunger.....
Interesting mix!
non quod, sed quomodo