TRackday prices, they're getting a bit daft now ?

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

TRackday prices, they're getting a bit daft now ?

Post by weeksy »

We've all seen the Silverstone GP at £250 on other threads, but i kinda accept that to an extent with it being a bit more professional than other organisers, breakfast, smaller groups, lots of instruction etc along with it being the GP circuit

But then you see Donny in May at £211, you see Mallory park at £149 and i start shuddering at the thought of them, possibly because of the context of "if i turn up and it's wet that's a pile i've lost"

Silverstone also works because there's no hotel on top, no meal out the night before and way less fuel, so Silverstone is arguably cheaper for me.. but less of an overnight social thing i could say.

Once you start adding in fuel, servicing, tyres, then trackdays are crazy crazy money.... but lets just keep it on the actual trackday prices..

The other side of the coin is that compared to my other hobby of MTBing which even if say me and my lad go to the Silverstone equivalent which is Bike Park Wales, that's £80 a day for 2 people.... If we go to Mallory (Afan, Cwmcarn, Llandegla, Swinley) it's costing less than a Fiver for parking and that's it.
KungFooBob

Re: TRackday prices, they're getting a bit daft now ?

Post by KungFooBob »

Have you seen the letter MSV sent to No Limits?

They're putting the track hire prices up by 10% (or was it 5%?) to try and help them recover from the pandemic.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 am Have you seen the letter MSV sent to No Limits?

They're putting the track hire prices up by 10% (or was it 5%?) to try and help them recover from the pandemic.
Yeah this is kinda what's prompted the disucssion. I didn't think i'd see the day the mainstream circuits were pushing and breaking the £200 barrier, but Donington and Oulton both now are and have. Clearly it's a supply and demand thing at times, they fill them day in day out, week in week out (lockdown permitting of course) so i guess it shows you can charge more.... But there must be a line to draw here somewhere for people ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Still cheaper than a race weekend... and arguably more track time. The only down side is there's no real competition.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My camper saved me a few bob. No more B&Bs and pub meals and drinkies.

And got an extra hour in bed ;)
formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 am
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 am But there must be a line to draw here somewhere for people ?
to be honest I don't think there is a line most of the time, they will put it up and people will keep paying, and I bet when things go back to normal the price will stay the same.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I suppose the issue will be how much of a down turn 250 GBP makes in numbers attending. Maybe not straight after lockdown - when cabin fever will take over. But after that ?
Whilst folks will pay stupid money to tinker with their bikes to make them go faster , 250 GBP a pop is getting a bit salty ....

As a money making exercise I would suspect that track day companies would be better offering session tickets/multi event tickets at a really advantageous price, so getting in cash flow.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:09 am I suppose the issue will be how much of a down turn 250 GBP makes in numbers attending. Maybe not straight after lockdown - when cabin fever will take over. But after that ?
Whilst folks will pay stupid money to tinker with their bikes to make them go faster , 250 GBP a pop is getting a bit salty ....

As a money making exceriseI would suspect that track day companies would be better offering session tickets ‘ multi event tickets at a really advantageous price, so getting in cash flow.
Couple of them do that yeah, i think both MSV and NL do it actually. It works out you save about £100 out of £700 or so. NL also do a voucher card you get stamped, when you do about half a dozen trackdays you get one half price or so.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Hottrax offered a season ticket, gave you a great saving paying for your full race season up front.

Then they went under.

Fortunately most people paid by credit card and managed to get something back.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I was looking to see if Silverstone did half days and evening sessions - it seems they don't at the moment? I'm sure they used to or did I imagine that?

They're on the way home from work for me, so half a day's holiday would work out great :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:24 am I was looking to see if Silverstone did half days and evening sessions - it seems they don't at the moment? I'm sure they used to or did I imagine that?

They're on the way home from work for me, so half a day's holiday would work out great :D
NOt sure i've ever seen either at Silverstone i'm afraid.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am Hottrax offered a season ticket, gave you a great saving paying for your full race season up front.

Then they went under.

Yup luckily I did (pay by CC). I paid them £1200 just before they went under for a me and a mate's trackdays. They went pop 3 days before the first trackday of the year.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:57 am
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am Hottrax offered a season ticket, gave you a great saving paying for your full race season up front.

Then they went under.

Yup luckily I did (pay by CC). I paid them £1200 just before they went under for a me and a mate's trackdays. They went pop 3 days before the first trackday of the year.
Okay - didn't know of track day companies previous form ...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Local track Kirkistown charges £80.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Madness but I’ve thought that for a while with the total costs, add this increase in and I’m all but out. Just glad I’ve done plenty in the past and have a cheaper hobby that provides just as much adrenalin and is more easily accessible, Trackdays were fun while they lasted
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:34 pm Madness but I’ve thought that for a while with the total costs, add this increase in and I’m all but out. Just glad I’ve done plenty in the past and have a cheaper hobby that provides just as much adrenalin and is more easily accessible, Trackdays were fun while they lasted
Ditto :)

I can do 5 hours enduro for under 10€ :)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:36 pm
Couchy wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:34 pm Madness but I’ve thought that for a while with the total costs, add this increase in and I’m all but out. Just glad I’ve done plenty in the past and have a cheaper hobby that provides just as much adrenalin and is more easily accessible, Trackdays were fun while they lasted
Ditto :)

I can do 5 hours enduro for under 10€ :)
Yup a day green laning will cost me £10 in fuel and £5 at the cafe, a day on the mtb is £5 at the cafe local riding or fuel costs only if I drive somewhere rising to £100 if it’s a downhill park which is basically Trackdays for mtb 👍

Tbh I wish someone would tarmac a track down a mountain then we could gravity race an engineless bike and still have knee down fun 🤣
Dave@ERT

Post by Dave@ERT »

Yep, another ‘ditto’ from me ! I don’t think I could afford to go racing with the current prices !? It was relatively affordable to be competitive when I raced so I’m glad I squeezed lots in before it’s all gone crazy 😬 The trail biking is sooo cheap and so much fun....get out there whilst you still can eh !!??🤔
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

For obvious reasons been following this topic on social media over the last day or so.
Did see the ''MSV'' letter about the prices and there were a couple of pointers I couldn't get. Palmer says he's ''sadly'' had to make over 50 of his 210 full time employees redundant - WTF ? obviously not heard of Furlough and what's he going to do for experienced staff when the circuit season starts again ?

He knows his onions, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to forecast the TD market will mentally busy this season. Europe is on stop - and will miss the gate when it finally opens / BSB is still ( and probably will be ) operating a no spectator policy and race meetings ( ACU and MSA ) are all subject to approval by their governing bodies and all will have potential last minute cancellations. Cancellation fees give him a bit of £'s but not enough apparently.

So as it's the only concrete ( well as much as ) revenue stream TD's ( bikes and cars ) have all had their hire prices hiked.

TDO's can't absorb this increase so are forced to pass some / all over to their customers. Nett costs for all TDO's have rocketed - you wouldn't believe the hours and hours that are spent behind the scenes these days - ( Steve's got an idea tho' ) as well as ploughing through COVID insurance and PL policies etc. Mind you, I would say Riders have had the European TD's dead cheap for the last few years - with flights / hotels and tracks . The ownership structure is totally different over there so it'll never happen in the UK. It's a bit of an artificial comparison - UK and Europe.

Unfortunately tho' it is a bit of a supply and demand UK market - with as Palmer says - more riders than track time. I certainly think people will be more choosey picking TD's to ride at tho' and a lot will run the gauntlet of last minute.com. I agree it is an relative expensive day out and we've been especially hurt with the ''no spectators'' ruling. Ok we're out in the sticks but traditionally the social side has been a big part of our events but I can't see this situation improving soon. It's hard enough getting Drakeford to make a understandable decision.

It'll be all OK once we can get back out there. Even on my Harley.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »