Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
Brommo

Re: Tool purchases

Post by Brommo »

iansoady wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm The only proper JIS bits and screwdrivers I'm aware of are made by Vessel and are quite pricy, however fit the heads really well. They also fit Phillips but not vice versa hence why most screw heads on old bikes are chewed up.
These are reasonable https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 53366.html

not used em in anger yet but they seem decent for the price
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Haven't seen them before. They do look like copies of the Vessel items down to the handle colouring...
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Silly Car wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:42 pm Two this weekend, birthday money burning a hole and I’ve discovered Amazon Warehouse so saved £50 against the listed prices:

Only damage appears to be a scuffed outer box, I already have the 16G nailer and a load of batteries.

F12B381C-F9F9-4C53-833E-B8854543A1BD.jpeg
I had my eye on that, if I re skin or rebuild one of our sheds I'll get one.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

So it was you sending the Amazon bot crazy and driving up the price by searching for it continuously... ;)

Not used it yet but will report back when I do.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

demographic wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:30 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:34 am Any reason not to?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Siege ... SwtZpehv26

Aldi and Liddle have been doing very similar sets just recently, I bought one for my daughter as she's just bought her first house.
Seemed a decent set to me anyway.
I used to get things like this (not so fine though!) when I first moved out. I did tend to buy the Woolworths multi end screwdriver and the Woolworths tool kits!! Totally acceptable for the things I wanted to do and pretty sure the multi head thing I still use is Woolworths :lol: :lol: :lol:

For space in the apartment I prefer to have the attachments and one handle. But in the mechaniky tool box I do have a full selection of screwdrivers (courtesy of my old riding buddy!).
But, in the apartment I've got lots of random screwdriver bits and no longer know what is what (apart from flat and cross head!). So at some point I need to invest in a set of bits to keep in the cordless screwdriver box. Might stop me rounding off the screws I use!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:50 am I used to get things like this (not so fine though!) when I first moved out. I did tend to buy the Woolworths multi end screwdriver and the Woolworths tool kits!! Totally acceptable for the things I wanted to do and pretty sure the multi head thing I still use is Woolworths :lol: :lol: :lol:

For space in the apartment I prefer to have the attachments and one handle. But in the mechaniky tool box I do have a full selection of screwdrivers (courtesy of my old riding buddy!).
But, in the apartment I've got lots of random screwdriver bits and no longer know what is what (apart from flat and cross head!). So at some point I need to invest in a set of bits to keep in the cordless screwdriver box. Might stop me rounding off the screws I use!! :lol:
The important thing I find to remember is the difference between pozidrive and cross head as a cross head bit will mess up a pozidrive screw. You can just about see it in that photo.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Mussels wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:50 am I used to get things like this (not so fine though!) when I first moved out. I did tend to buy the Woolworths multi end screwdriver and the Woolworths tool kits!! Totally acceptable for the things I wanted to do and pretty sure the multi head thing I still use is Woolworths :lol: :lol: :lol:

The important thing I find to remember is the difference between pozidrive and cross head as a cross head bit will mess up a pozidrive screw. You can just about see it in that photo.
It's the other way round. Phillips will work reasonably well in Pozidriv but if you look closely at a pozidriv screw you will see shallow grooves at 45 degrees to the main slots. The pozidriv screwdriver has ridges to engage with these so won't engage properly with Phillips.

That set shown doesn't have JIS. Although Phillips "nearly" work with JIS the angles are slightly different so there's always some slack. Try fitting a JIS bit in a JIS screw then a Phillips bit and you will see and feel the difference.. It's the main reason that elderly bikes often have their screw heads chewed up (or replaced with socket head alternatives).
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am
iansoady wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:59 am
It's the other way round. Phillips will work reasonably well in Pozidriv but if you look closely at a pozidriv screw you will see shallow grooves at 45 degrees to the main slots. The pozidriv screwdriver has ridges to engage with these so won't engage properly with Phillips.

That set shown doesn't have JIS. Although Phillips "nearly" work with JIS the angles are slightly different so there's always some slack. Try fitting a JIS bit in a JIS screw then a Phillips bit and you will see and feel the difference.. It's the main reason that elderly bikes often have their screw heads chewed up (or replaced with socket head alternatives).
I think I need to chuck all the ones in my apartment in a sealed box and get a decent set of each. Then make sure I know what each of the screws is!! LOL LOL
I do struggle with not rounding them off sometimes but so far hasn't caused a major issue!! :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Spanners. I like buying spanners. Facom is good shit right? And 'vintage' stuff is better? My local junk shop has loads of them.

These are 'modele scientifique' if that makes any difference at all ...
Attachments
IMG_20210203_151447.jpg
IMG_20210203_151447.jpg (630.58 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:11 pm Image
Back to the story.

I’ll be attacking the pilot jets with a watchmaker’s broach.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

inewham wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 am
JackyJoll wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm I’ll be attacking the pilot jets with a watchmaker’s broach.
Don't you run the risk of enlarging the jet? Have you tried things softer than the jet like copper wire, plastic etc?
I want to enlarge the pilot jets on a pair of Amal Concentrics.
Skub

Post by Skub »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:47 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:11 pm Image
Back to the story.

I’ll be attacking the pilot jets with a watchmaker’s broach.
An old Brit bike mate of mine uses my old guitar strings for poking jets.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Skub wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:14 pm

An old Brit bike mate of mine uses my old guitar strings for poking jets.
Yeah a 16 is a perfect fit.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

inewham wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:11 pm My mistake, I assumed you were trying to unblock them, it's such a common thing now we have the joy of ethanol
It may turn out to be my mistake...
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

New toy.
Half the price of a saw in Screwfix with matching specs. I was going to get a specific cross cut blade but I got a bit of a shock when I found out new blades are nearly half the price of the whole machine! Think I'll try the general purpose blade that came with it first, Lidl tools normally come with pretty decent blades.
Now I can get on with the rest of the garden joinery this summer, all I need to do first is level the terrace and dig the retaining wall post holes in the clay so I can start cutting up sleepers. Given how quickly last years test pit collapsed I'm waiting for slightly drier weather.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 am New toy.
Half the price of a saw in Screwfix with matching specs. I was going to get a specific cross cut blade but I got a bit of a shock when I found out new blades are nearly half the price of the whole machine! Think I'll try the general purpose blade that came with it first, Lidl tools normally come with pretty decent blades.
Now I can get on with the rest of the garden joinery this summer, all I need to do first is level the terrace and dig the retaining wall post holes in the clay so I can start cutting up sleepers. Given how quickly last years test pit collapsed I'm waiting for slightly drier weather.
There are a host of YouTube videos around about tuning in the fences / cuts to get plumb and square cuts if needed. I’ve had great success with Saxton blades, the 80T I’ve got leaves end grain looking like I’ve spend an hour sanding it.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

My new workshop hoover it sucks.
O it blows also and has a handy power take off point and semi auto filter cleaning. It really does suck 🤠
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

maccecht wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 pm My new workshop hoover it sucks.
O it blows also and has a handy power take off point and semi auto filter cleaning. It really does suck 🤠

When something is plugged into its power socket and switched on does it autostart the vacuum?

If it does its good to attach to something like a chopsaw so the vac autostarts as soon as you need it to extract the dust from the saw.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

demographic wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:42 pm
maccecht wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 pm My new workshop hoover it sucks.

When something is plugged into its power socket and switched on does it autostart the vacuum?

If it does its good to attach to something like a chopsaw so the vac autostarts as soon as you need it to extract the dust from the saw.
I was just thinking how I'd probably need one, good call on the auto start. Depends how well attaching the Dyson with duct tape goes.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Looks like its got the autostart.
Handy for routers, chopsaws and circular ripsaws. Just give it a couple of seconds before you start the cut to allow the vac to build up suction.
I think Nilfisk do an adapter which allows it to be fitted to all sorts of powertools as well, I'll see if I can find a link for the adapter.

Edit, think these are the ones.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dust-Extract ... 2cc45c07d1
You better check cos I don't have a Nilfisk, I've been using a conical rubber tube thing one of the sparks took off a three phase fusebox to attach my extractor to damn nearly all the odd sized tools I have.
Last edited by demographic on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.