Face masks

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
irie

Re: Face masks

Post by irie »

WelshDragon wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:54 pm I know this is has been discussed as part of the corona thread on TRC but now that there seems to be some ‘expectation’ that masks might be a requirement in our post lockdown world, what do the experts on here suggest us novices should be looking for in a face mask? I have seen some grading applied and some masks have reference numbers but I wouldn’t know where to start as I’ve never had to use one before.

Any tips appreciated please. :)
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcon ... xtuse.html
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 pm
WelshDragon wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 am
Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am 1) Is this 'expectation' coming from a credible source?
2) Since the people who really need face masks now are struggling to get them, I doubt if there will be any at all in the near future for another 60+ million to wear, even if the government makes it compulsory.
What does it matter what the source is? I am asking a question that I would genuinely like some help with.

Seriously if you have nothing useful to contribute then there isn't anything to see here for you. :x
The lovely BB is one of the more distinguished contributors on here.

And she's from Yorickshire :)
Thank you, kind sir, but there's no need.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Irie wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:53 pm
WelshDragon wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:54 pm I know this is has been discussed as part of the corona thread on TRC but now that there seems to be some ‘expectation’ that masks might be a requirement in our post lockdown world, what do the experts on here suggest us novices should be looking for in a face mask? I have seen some grading applied and some masks have reference numbers but I wouldn’t know where to start as I’ve never had to use one before.

Any tips appreciated please. :)
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/hcwcon ... xtuse.html
Oh my, even these are not recyclable for ever and although probably the best type of thing not really practical for bods on the street! Given the latest stats are we going OTT in reality??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52308783
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Well Germany has decided to and given Germany is the ‘go to country’ for being fabulous at dealing with Covid19 then I guess I know what might follow.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52382196

I’m not usually one to say told you so but..... :P
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Assuming it's just in public transport or shopping etc, I'm fine with that.

Also assuming it can just be a motorcycle buff pulled up over face and not a proper one that should be going to medical staff, then I'm ok with that too.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:41 pm Assuming it's just in public transport or shopping etc, I'm fine with that.

Also assuming it can just be a motorcycle buff pulled up over face and not a proper one that should be going to medical staff, then I'm ok with that too.
Yeah I’d go with that too. Bit of a pain in the arse when you wear glasses though.

I have suggested to Mr WD that when we go food shopping next week that we wear our motorcycle helmets with full visors down but somehow I think we might end up not getting into the store at all...... :lol:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:41 pm Assuming it's just in public transport or shopping etc, I'm fine with that.

In the expectation of having to wear something in certain locations ( on public transport or in shops etc) I have ordered a couple of neck tubes that come with a pocket and a number of disposable filters. I figure they will probably do for most situations and after the even I can still use them on the bike especially during hay fever season.

As most people are searching for face masks, there seemed to be no supply issues either.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Me after lockdown
20th-may-2006-stand-and-deliver-18th-century-highwaymen-re-enactors-AD91J6.jpg
20th-may-2006-stand-and-deliver-18th-century-highwaymen-re-enactors-AD91J6.jpg (161.72 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Doc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:04 am Me after lockdown
20th-may-2006-stand-and-deliver-18th-century-highwaymen-re-enactors-AD91J6.jpg
it’s slightly amusing that 3 months ago we were all up in arms about gangs if youths wearing face masks to commit crime and appealing for Government to ban the burka due to terrorism fears. Now, everybody who is anybody is wearing masks and scarves around their faces to the shops ..and the shops and filling stations have lost their fear that motorcyclists wearing their helmet might be about to rob them....
Skub

Post by Skub »

Gedge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 am
it’s slightly amusing that 3 months ago we were all up in arms about gangs if youths wearing face masks to commit crime and appealing for Government to ban the burka due to terrorism fears. Now, everybody who is anybody is wearing masks and scarves around their faces to the shops ..and the shops and filling stations have lost their fear that motorcyclists wearing their helmet might be about to rob them....
See it as an opportunity! :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Gedge wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 am 3 months ago we were all .... appealing for Government to ban the burka due to terrorism fears.
Not all of us were ;)

Anyhoo, the position seems to be that masks are A Good Thing, largely because they stop you coughing all over other MoP when you yourself might be infectious but asymptomatic. The benefits to yourself are minor unless you've got a proper industrial grade respirator.

Of course, it depends on whether you're "led by the science" or Matt "rabbit in headlights" Handjob.

I work on the principle that for the minimal difficulty of wearing a face mask, be it a surgical one, a DIY dust mask or just a bandana, if it helps just a little to keep me safer that's enough for me. And if getting Joe Public to wear them routinely in public spaces helps a bit more, that's even better.

Cue outrage about government telling us what to do....
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I reckon that a way to get back to work will be the widespread usage of masks, likely with a government ad campaign on how to wear them properly and how often to replace em, and so on.

Possibly people going back to work in stages.

Not sure how well the "We're all in this together" will last if some people can go to work and everyone else is still virtually in prison.