New year new plan. Bit of rowing.

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

New year new plan. Bit of rowing.

Post by weeksy »

Even though i've cycled a lot it's never really seemed to do much in terms of weight. Now a lot of that is of course down to me and a rubbish diet, but i'll struggle to massively change that, so Mrs Weeksy was chatting about something other than cycling/walking for herself and we decided to get a rowing machine.

The obvious answer was a Concept 2. But with used ones way out of warranty doing £800+ we put some bids in at £700-750 for ones ending close enough for us, but they all went up over £800.

We thought about hiring one, but that's £80 a month at the moment which seems a bit ridiculous.

So we ended up with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-fit-Tornad ... Swc6ZcWVuG

One of these, which is a cheap and cheerful (sort of ) version. It's a little 'short' for me in the context it doesn't allow stroke lengths quite as long as i'd like, it's also quite a difference in power/speed/time compared to a concept 2, i can row 500m splits on a concept 2 in 2min 10 for 10km, this is registering me closer to 2min 30. But as long as it's consistent to itself, it doesn't really matter.

Everyone has used it since it was put together on Weds night, the boy did 10km on it yesterday in 3 split sessions.

Back in the day when trying to get down from 20st i used the rower a fair bit and i think it gave a bit more of an overall body conditioning and a different type of workout compared to cycling. I'm also hoping it helps a bit with leg fatigue due to using different muscles than cycling every single day.

Once i get used to it, i'll also integrate some kettle bell work in with it too.
Yambo

Re: New year new plan. Bit of rowing.

Post by Yambo »

That's pretty much the same one I had back in the UK - a long time ago. It got well used and kept me working. Over time though it developed a couple of issues so you might want to bear them in mind if you keep it long enough before you realise your mistake and get a C2 :P

1. The little wheels that the seat runs on used to break up. The 'tyres' are a white plastic sort of stuff - not sure what it actually is and it wasn't long before little bits started breaking off. This caused the seat movement to be noisy and lumpy. At first I changed the lower, broken ones to the top and looked for replacements on line. I found some but don't ask me the name of the company, I've slept a lot since then.

2. The fan nylon bearings wore out, or wore uneven. I couldn't find replacements on line so I had a local workshop make up some bearing carriers out of aluminium bar. That worked OK and I had no issues afterwards. It's quite possible that the fan bearings are actually bearings nowadays so might not be a problem.

I had the same issues with the computer times but as you say, if it's consistent and you're not competing with anyone on a C2 then it's not really an issue.

Have fun! OK, just work hard. :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've created a monster, my 12 year old has been rowing between 10-13km per day since it arrived, his target is 330km this month which is apparently the length of the Thames. He's doing 4km here, 2km there, 4km later... rather than doing the whole lot in one go.

I've been doing some, but arguably not as much as him, as i've also been cycling.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just curious why you are thinking in Kms?

I always think in miles.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Because that's what rowing machines use.

Common is 500m split times, 2km test, 5km test. The machines don't do miles
formula400

Post by formula400 »

rowing machine in the gym was brutal.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Taff

Post by Taff »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:11 pm I've created a monster, my 12 year old has been rowing between 10-13km per day since it arrived, his target is 330km this month which is apparently the length of the Thames. He's doing 4km here, 2km there, 4km later... rather than doing the whole lot in one go.

I've been doing some, but arguably not as much as him, as i've also been cycling.
Damn, that's a lot for him, fair play. :clap:

MiniTaff has found zwift so he's started to enjoy sweating in the shed.. maybe I should try and get him into a race.

I've always hated rowing machines in that love hate sort of way. I used to train with a mate that spent summer weekend gig racing so was strong as an ox, I could never keep up with him :obscene-drinkingcheers:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taff wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:40 am

MiniTaff has found zwift so he's started to enjoy sweating in the shed.. maybe I should try and get him into a race.
Excellent. The Crit City races, downtown dolphin or Bell Lap are the best in many ways for the youngsters are they're a sensible distance. My lad doesn't like anything over about 10-12km. It depends who turns up on a given day, if the big power monsters turn up then the small guys can struggle.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I used to use a rowing machine at gym and my physique seemed ideal.
One day a young slip of a lass sat next to me just as I started.
She set off fast and I kept up with her. She speeded up and my ego couldn't let it go.
Shit, I was nearly dying and she barely broke a sweat.

When she walked off, I saw "GB Rowing" on back of her tracksuit ;) :D
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Yorick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 pm I used to use a rowing machine at gym and my physique seemed ideal.
One day a young slip of a lass sat next to me just as I started.
She set off fast and I kept up with her. She speeded up and my ego couldn't let it go.
Shit, I was nearly dying and she barely broke a sweat.

When she walked off, I saw "GB Rowing" on back of her tracksuit ;) :D
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well that's a weird rowing machine for working out speed.

Today i was doing 1:55 splits on it, but with the resistance down from 5 to 2. It seems the resistance just makes it harder, but also slows down your splits LOL. My SPM (strokes per minute) were not miles higher, certainly not enough to take me from 2:30 splits down to 1:55 splits.

I then finshed myself off with some kettle bell workouts. Jeeeez we do not like kettle bells !!!!
formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:09 am Well that's a weird rowing machine for working out speed.

Today i was doing 1:55 splits on it, but with the resistance down from 5 to 2. It seems the resistance just makes it harder, but also slows down your splits LOL. My SPM (strokes per minute) were not miles higher, certainly not enough to take me from 2:30 splits down to 1:55 splits.

I then finshed myself off with some kettle bell workouts. Jeeeez we do not like kettle bells !!!!
I got my kettle bell out last week as I was not allowed out, its a iron (some king of metal) one and it ripped my soft hand apart :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

formula400 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:45 am rowing machine in the gym was brutal.
The one in my spare bedroom is just as. :thumbup: It's not called 'The Beast' for nothing. :P

But I like rowing not only as an exercise but as a means of getting around on the water - not too far these days certainly but if the boat is a good one it's fairly easy to put the miles away. Times don't compute like on a machine as they're based on racing sculls and my rowing boat is hardly a racer and has a fixed seat but of course, having set a time for a particular trip I can always compete against myself.

We have an island just outside the bay and my summer morning exercise is to row out, around it and back. It's a 5km (ish) round trip and wind can be a pain as can other boats but I usually go early enough to miss them.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've still been using it, my lad is injured so he's not currently.

I'm sitting on the sofa working as we type and thinking "mmm rowing or riding later" arguably i should be doing neither as it should be a rest day.... but tempting
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:11 pm I've created a monster, my 12 year old has been rowing between 10-13km per day since it arrived, his target is 330km this month which is apparently the length of the Thames. He's doing 4km here, 2km there, 4km later... rather than doing the whole lot in one go.
Jeez, that's some target! Works out to around 12 kms a day average.

I clocked up my first million metres in around 6 months I think and I was going some. A third of that in a month . . . rather him than me. :thumbup:

Make sure his technique is good weeksy, not only will it make the rowing easier but his times/distances should improve a bit.

*Edit* Just seen your post. :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yambo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:40 pm
Jeez, that's some target! Works out to around 12 kms a day average.

I clocked up my first million metres in around 6 months I think and I was going some. A third of that in a month . . . rather him than me. :thumbup:

Make sure his technique is good weeksy, not only will it make the rowing easier but his times/distances should improve a bit.

*Edit* Just seen your post. :thumbup:
He'd have made it as well you know, he was properly determined. This morning was spent at X-ray for him and happily he's not broken anything, but he's certainly a bit delicate.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

what did he do????

and 330km, sod that, I did 440km on the bikes but in comparison that's easy. nutter.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

formula400 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:51 pm what did he do????
MTBing, woods, crashing.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

sod that, at least he's not to damaged.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Kinda getting to know the ins and outs of this particular rower now.

Did 10km the other day in 19mins 30, which is OK for what i wanted.

Today was a gentler 15km which was 32min 45 which i could beat by a good minute if not 2 if i were pushing on, but was trying to stay in a slightly lower HR zone for it.