Aftermarket brake disks

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taff

Aftermarket brake disks

Post by Taff »

I need a set of 3 brake disks on my tiger 800 and the options seems to be (in order of price low-high)

EBC & Galfer
Brembo
OEM

I've now worn through a pair of EBC and never thought that they were as good as OEM but they were ok. Baring in mind that they are going on a 60k mile old tiger 800, currently doing 1k miles a month I'm erring on the side of the cheaper andf the difference is about £200 (circa £350 for galfer & EBC and £530 for brembo, £550 OEM)

what's you experience with Galfer disks? how well do they last (I use organic pads becauseI don't like the feeling of HH in the wet)

Any other options out there that's worth a look?
mikeycee

Re: Aftermarket brake disks

Post by mikeycee »

Always used EBC Myself for both pads and discs - Decent quality product and well priced :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

I put EBC on my 800 Tiger at about 40k miles, they seem fine and its now got 53k on it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Brembo serie Oro for me
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Not blown away bt EBC Prolites anyway.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

weeksy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 pm Brembo serie Oro for me
Same here. When I replaced the front discs on my Monster 1100 Evo, it was £480 for a pair of OE Brembos from Ducati or £285 for a pair of Serie Oro from Simon at WSC Performance.

Have a look at CarpiMoto https://www.carpimoto.com/en-GB/ for the correct fitment and sample price (they're usually the cheapest for Brembo). Then email Simon at WSC Performance (simon@wscperformance.co.uk) for a quote. https://www.wscperformance.co.uk

He didn't have mine in stock but ordered them in and matched CarpiMoto's price and I had them within a week with free delivery.

I think all Tiger 800s have the same fronts (78B40847) at about £340 for the pair but there are a couple of different fitments for the rear so you'll need to check that. Price will be around £80.

Don't forget to budget for new pads too.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Check your insurance - changing brake discs can come under the modifications that need to be notified to the broker.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I have used EBC discs before and found them ok on the GS1150 and also on the 636. On the Ducati when it was new discs time i went for Brembo but not from Ducati as they charge an extra premium for the same part number if its in a Ducati wrapper :wtf:

HPS were normally about 30% less than Ducati :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

inewham wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:47 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:18 pm Check your insurance - changing brake discs can come under the modifications that need to be notified to the broker.
Seriously ? Insurers take the piss.
If I go to Kwikfit and get a couple of brake disks I dont expect my premium to go up

Sure if I've spent a fortune on PFMs or an Akra you you could argue that if I haven't declared it I should get no more than the value of the OEM bits but insurers take us for a ride because motorcyclists are a small group and they know we get no sympathy from non-riders
Yep, there was one company who were allowing five 'modifications', which could include a rack, even a tank pad!

I think they caved on that fairly quickly after protests, but some insurers will distinguish between 'consumables' such as pads and 'modifications' like discs and calipers. Worth reading the T&C that came with your policy.
Funners

Post by Funners »

Like Demo, not a fan of EBC pro-lites at all, I fitted them to my ZX7R and ended up taking them back off, in the dry they were very good, in the wet they were terrible, I tried, HH pads, organic none of them made a difference, I ended up back with OE on that occasion
Galfer stuff has a good reputation, its been a while since I ran any (back in the supermoto days) but it was certainly good then
Taff

Post by Taff »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:18 pm Check your insurance - changing brake discs can come under the modifications that need to be notified to the broker.
I really can't imagine why on earth replacing worn out parts for a like for like replacement would be an issue. I've haven't had any issue with the Nitron rear shock that I fited a few years ago.

I noticed tonight that the OEM disks have the Brembo logo stamped into them whch probably explains why they work so much better than the EBC one I just took off. :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Funners wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:49 pm Like Demo, not a fan of EBC pro-lites at all, I fitted them to my ZX7R and ended up taking them back off, in the dry they were very good, in the wet they were terrible, I tried, HH pads, organic none of them made a difference, I ended up back with OE on that occasion
Galfer stuff has a good reputation, its been a while since I ran any (back in the supermoto days) but it was certainly good then
Same experience as funbags. The prolites were horrendous in the wet,it was like 70s brake lag.
I had Galfer on my ZX10R and no complaints.

Brembos are oe on my current Zed. Good brakes.
Last edited by Skub on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Only proper aftermarket discs I've used were PFM Ductile Iron Superbike Discs, they were f*cking awesome. Probably a bit overkill for a Tiger tho'
Taff

Post by Taff »

Luddite wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:23 am
weeksy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 pm Brembo serie Oro for me
Same here. When I replaced the front discs on my Monster 1100 Evo, it was £480 for a pair of OE Brembos from Ducati or £285 for a pair of Serie Oro from Simon at WSC Performance.

Have a look at CarpiMoto https://www.carpimoto.com/en-GB/ for the correct fitment and sample price (they're usually the cheapest for Brembo). Then email Simon at WSC Performance (simon@wscperformance.co.uk) for a quote. https://www.wscperformance.co.uk

He didn't have mine in stock but ordered them in and matched CarpiMoto's price and I had them within a week with free delivery.

I think all Tiger 800s have the same fronts (78B40847) at about £340 for the pair but there are a couple of different fitments for the rear so you'll need to check that. Price will be around £80.

Don't forget to budget for new pads too.
Thanks for this ace post, a set of three disks ordered this morning for a shade over £400 which is quite remarkable given that RRP for the fronts are £230 each. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

That's great. Glad you got a good deal. It definitely pays to shop around. Did you get new pads too? The old ones will have worn to match the surface of the old, worn discs so I wouldn't recommend using them on brand new rotors.
EBC Brakes UK

Post by EBC Brakes UK »

We have joined this forum to assist any users with any issues or advice regarding EBC products. We are not here to sell our products, merely to offer advice. :thumbup: Emails can be sent to forumadministrators@ebcbrakesuk.com or happy to chat on here.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

EBC Brakes UK wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm We have joined this forum to assist any users with any issues or advice regarding EBC products. We are not here to sell our products, merely to offer advice. :thumbup: Emails can be sent to forumadministrators@ebcbrakesuk.com or happy to chat on here.
Welcome into the forum.

We're more than happy to give you the option to sell your products on here. We have dedicated vendor sections for other companies who offer their services/goods and we reciprocate by throwing their name about whenever possible.

If you'd like to do that you can either private message or email me and we can set something up.

We don't really charge for it, but it's nice if the company at the very least does sign up to be a subscribed member. However donations are always welcome for the upkeep of the forum.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Aha. I have a question. I've used EBC pads for nearly 40 years. Including all my racing years.

But last year I bought some for my 2018 Husky TE300i.

FA181TT

At start of each ride they are useless. I have to ride about for a few minutes hard braking to bust the glaze. Or I can take the pads out and out them on my orbital sander. This is time consuming.

Did I buy the right pads for enduro riding?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

EBC Brakes UK wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:45 pm We have joined this forum to assist any users with any issues or advice regarding EBC products. We are not here to sell our products, merely to offer advice. :thumbup: Emails can be sent to forumadministrators@ebcbrakesuk.com or happy to chat on here.
Hello, is there a way of telling genuine EBC brakes from poor quality copies of EBC brakes?
Honda Owner
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

They're good in the wet?