The Portimao express/weapon. Gsxr 750 L3 for Welsh Muffin

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The Portimao express/weapon. Gsxr 750 L3 for Welsh Muffin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:43 pm Might as well do it as you'll be thinking about it otherwise.
Yeah already ordered :mrgreen:
fil2

Post by fil2 »

very nice bike ! and good blend of power n handling !....as Yorick said some lines good BF and pads and she be right !
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

fil2 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:44 pm very nice bike ! and good blend of power n handling !....as Yorick said some lines good BF and pads and she be right !
The lines are already ordered. Still debating on pads which we'll go for. I think it's like to be the SBS street excel.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well that didn't work out, no siree, not at all.

We turned up to look at the bike. The place wasn't exactly HRC, it was a bit of a dive in honesty, but hey, we're here to buy it.

As soon as i started looking over the bike my thoughts went from elation to disappointment. Within the first 30s i was walking away, but thought i'd look over it more.

For a 5500 mile bike it was in remarkably average condition overall. Starting from the front, the brake disks were showing a fair bit of corrosion, not on the disk surface but a fair chunk of the inners too. The calipers have clearly never seen anything like a cleaning product, moving back a little to the headers, they look like they'd spent most of their life in the sea, all the fixings and fastenings made of metal were pretty corroded.
Next up was the chain and sprockets, well, they were past their best, but again a lot of that is down to neglect.
Looking at the engine, well you can guess where this is going already i'm sure, yup, not great, plenty of wear and distinctly yukky under the fairings.

Last up was some of the wiring and connectors around the headlight/clocks, some of them were as you'd expect, but some of them seemed remarkably new for the condition of the rest of the bike. Some of the wiring around that area also looked fairly insulation taped rather than 'factory'

With all of this in mind, we told the bloke thanks but nah, i explained in depth as to why and he was happy with my explanation. Give him his due, despite making it clear the deposit we had paid was Non Refundable, he put it hand in his pocket and gave us the deposit back in cash.. Which was very nice of him i have to say.

So that is the end of the GSXR750.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

I told you the ZX6R was prettier :lol:

Its never nice building yourself up thinking you've found the ideal bike and the mental plans that go with it only to be disappointed.... Gutted for you :( :( :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scuffmark wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:48 pm I told you the ZX6R was prettier :lol:

Its never nice building yourself up thinking you've found the ideal bike and the mental plans that go with it only to be disappointed.... Gutted for you :( :( :(
You're right... it was... ! Is... whatever :)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

You got your money back, thats the main thing. 👍 But don't stop looking, if a change is niggling away, there's only one way the niggle will go.

I travelled 150 miles to look at a bike once, lent up against the house with a rusty chain and covered in shite. Advertised as excellent. Just an exchange of words and off home, with cash still in pocket. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:51 pm You got your money back, thats the main thing. 👍 But don't stop looking, if a change is niggling away, there's only one way the niggle will go.
She's not like us in that context, the niggle doesn't register, it was only circumstances that led to this really, if anything it's generally me who brings this up and puts ideas into her head. She'll happily ride another year on it, then winter next year we'll consider the options and plan.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Bummer, but at least you got your money back.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

Sounds like the right move. Bikes always look cleaner in the photos.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
singlesman

Post by singlesman »

Can’t help thinking you’d do far better looking for a proper track bike, not a pristine road bike, something mechanicaly sound with a pretty stock motor but with all the right bits on it suspension /quick shifter wise etc.
Like you I’m a bit ocd when it comes to the condition of my road bikes, but there is something quite liberating about having a less than immaculate track bike.
Also find physiologically it’s easier to try a bit harder on track when not riding your ‘pride and Joy’
Just a thought 😊
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

singlesman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:25 pm Can’t help thinking you’d do far better looking for a proper track bike, not a pristine road bike, something mechanicaly sound with a pretty stock motor but with all the right bits on it suspension /quick shifter wise etc.
Like you I’m a bit ocd when it comes to the condition of my road bikes, but there is something quite liberating about having a less than immaculate track bike.
Also find physiologically it’s easier to try a bit harder on track when not riding your ‘pride and Joy’
Just a thought 😊
We've discussed that. But have you seen 90% of track bikes, they're fucked and slapped together by unsympathetic idiots.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I had a feeling in my cockles that you wouldn't be bringing that bike home, dunno why.

Time for a Big Bang R1 I reckon :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:42 pm I had a feeling in my cockles that you wouldn't be bringing that bike home, dunno why.

I had no advance doubts we were bringing it home. None.

Glad I never swapped the insurance though
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:42 pm I had a feeling in my cockles that you wouldn't be bringing that bike home, dunno why.

Yamaha themselves never mentioned anything about big bang did they? From their POV (and marketing IIRC?) its all about reducing 'intertial torque' and better high rpm running. The firing sequence/spacing is the same as a pipe and slippers VFR800.

TBF my old VFR750 on a loud pipe sounded pretty exotic. :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

You can tell a Big Bang R1 from a mile away if its on an open pipe, sounds nothing like any other IL4... in fact it sounds more like a V-Twin than an IL4.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It sounds exactly like a V4 too. Oddly enough. :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:56 pm You can tell a Big Bang R1 from a mile away if its on an open pipe, sounds nothing like any other IL4... in fact it sounds more like a V-Twin than an IL4.
You ridden one? I have at Mallory, I did 3 laps, came in and got back on my 848 Evo.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:56 pm You can tell a Big Bang R1 from a mile away if its on an open pipe, sounds nothing like any other IL4... in fact it sounds more like a V-Twin than an IL4.
You ridden one? I have at Mallory, I did 3 laps, came in and got back on my 848 Evo.
Nope.

But don't you dislike the ZX6 too?

Who's bike is it again :p
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:03 pm
weeksy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:58 pm
Nope.

But don't you dislike the ZX6 too?

Who's bike is it again :p
Yes but at the time I liked sportsbikes. The BB R1 was sooooo different to ride, like a massive whale too.

Knowing what she likes and hates in bikes, she'd 100% prefer the zx6