Morzine.... It's just awesome.

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Morzine.... It's just awesome.

Post by weeksy »

Sitting watching the DH World cup from 2007 and 2012 today on Eurosport and thinking "DAMN i hope we get to Morzine in August"

We've got 3 days riding planned... well, maybe.

Dodgy69

Re: Morzine.... It's just awesome.

Post by Dodgy69 »

Looks great fun. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:47 am Looks great fun. 👍
We're planning on 2 weeks there next year, i'm debating integrating it into a trip down on the KTM and then 7 days down there, get the wife to drive a LWB transit down with the MTBs and meet her there and then throw the motorbikes in the van on the way back.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I'm more of a roadie these days but you're right Morzine is indeed awesome,it's like the Glentress of the Alps.
Last time I went to the Alps mountainbiking was 2015,I went to Les Arcs,it's a lot more technical & I didn't enjoy it as much,suffered a mild concussion,whiplash & did a bit of nerve damage.My friends went to Morzine again & had a hoot.
I've been back to the Alps a couple of times since,trekking..
I'm not sure what's happening this year,but last Winter they booked for Morzine in either July or August.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Aiming to get there - but do want is a Flare Max (140 / 120) will be under biked
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am Aiming to get there - but do want is a Flare Max (140 / 120) will be under biked
Of course that depends on what you ride and how you ride.

In the videos above i was on a T-130 and my boy on a Liv Embolden with 120mm. We didn't feel under-biked at all.

This time we'll be taking a G-160 and a Specialized FSR with 150mm..... We'll potentially ride some trickier trails, but they won't be 5X harder, they'll be incrementally tougher.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Bustaspoke wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am I'm more of a roadie these days but you're right Morzine is indeed awesome,it's like the Glentress of the Alps.
Last time I went to the Alps mountainbiking was 2015,I went to Les Arcs,it's a lot more technical & I didn't enjoy it as much,suffered a mild concussion,whiplash & did a bit of nerve damage.My friends went to Morzine again & had a hoot.
I've been back to the Alps a couple of times since,trekking..
I'm not sure what's happening this year,but last Winter they booked for Morzine in either July or August.
Les Arcs too - epic and everything from easy family to "WTAF"!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I don't think we were at the family friendly end of things.
At the end of the week I said to our guide ' That was a bit rum,room mate in hospital after getting skewered with a branch through his calf,me with whiplash & a few others with injuries,he replied 'it's not a bad week no one's still in hospital',I didn't ask what happened on a bad week.
He also said the reason I fell on my head a couple of times is because it's so steep you hardly ever slide out,you mainly go over the bars.
Next time I went back to the Alps I went trekking...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bustaspoke wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 pm
I don't think we were at the family friendly end of things.
At the end of the week I said to our guide ' That was a bit rum,room mate in hospital after getting skewered with a branch through his calf,me with whiplash & a few others with injuries,he replied 'it's not a bad week no one's still in hospital',I didn't ask what happened on a bad week.
He also said the reason I fell on my head a couple of times is because it's so steep you hardly ever slide out,you mainly go over the bars.
Next time I went back to the Alps I went trekking...
LOL i think we'll stick to Morzine and Les Gets based upon that. Although Finale Ligure ticks plenty of boxes too i must admit.

In some ways being on the coast for Mrs Weeksy it ticks more boxes as she wouldn't necessarily want to ride as much as me and the boy.

Finale looks a bit more natural than Morzine.

But i have to admit i do like the vibe/atmosphere around Morzine, it feels like a resort mentality etc.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

We stayed in Bourg San Maurice here
https://abnb.me/5xtGywVlHO

Then just used the fenicular for €10 each day which gave you the use of everything to get around.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Supposed to be having a week in Les Arcs in mid July. No idea whether we'll be able to go or not, the chalet owner is saying the resort will be open but who knows what will be going on with international travel. I can foresee 14 days quarantine on arrival and the same on return, which rules it out.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am Supposed to be having a week in Les Arcs in mid July. No idea whether we'll be able to go or not, the chalet owner is saying the resort will be open but who knows what will be going on with international travel. I can foresee 14 days quarantine on arrival and the same on return, which rules it out.
You been before ? As i said above it's kinda tricky as with Morzine and Portes du Soleil you know what you're getting, you know the runs, you know the towns, so it's all quite familiar and you don't waste days on crap routes looking for something good.

But of course, the reverse is true, it's the same as last time and the time before... which brings it's own downsides with it.

So really curious to get others opinions on places
millemille

Post by millemille »

weeksy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 am
millemille wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:25 am Supposed to be having a week in Les Arcs in mid July. No idea whether we'll be able to go or not, the chalet owner is saying the resort will be open but who knows what will be going on with international travel. I can foresee 14 days quarantine on arrival and the same on return, which rules it out.
You been before ? As i said above it's kinda tricky as with Morzine and Portes du Soleil you know what you're getting, you know the runs, you know the towns, so it's all quite familiar and you don't waste days on crap routes looking for something good.

But of course, the reverse is true, it's the same as last time and the time before... which brings it's own downsides with it.

So really curious to get others opinions on places
I've not been out to the Alps since I last raced the Avalanche Cup DH series in 1998.

But I'm going with Jamie Porter, of pbmagforum, and others who go every year.