Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Beware, EU purchases. Tax and handling fees

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:02 pm
Edit some background:
- I have a family that I'm proud of
- I have a job that I enjoy, that pays reasonably, that makes a difference to people
- I have an employer and colleagues who supported me through my recent health issues
- I have a home (a fairly 'average' house) that is comfortable for us
- I can't think of any 'stuff' that I particularly need or want - again, I'm comfortable

If I was to want for anything, it would be for a garage / workshop (a bigger shed was planned for 2020, but obviously wasn't a priority and, actually, the ground space ended up being otherwise used) and another couple of spare rooms in the house, so Filly could have an office and we would also have a guest bedroom (I'm using the existing room as my office) - but under current circumstances it wouldn't be used anyway.

So there you are, tell me why I think it's shit.

However, some people are struggling, for a variety of reasons.
Ahh you edited after I'd typed, pressed send and switched off, but we're being polite so I see no harm continuing the conversation...

It sounds like you're generally happy and have a comfortable life, but let me ask you, did those things on your list give you the right attitude, or did having the right attitude get you the things on your list?

You see, I'm not ok because of the things I have. If I'm ok it's because of my attitude towards life and the things I have just appeared.
I wasn't born rich, in fact I was homeless as a young man, so it's not fair to say that because I now have some money (and probably less than you seem to think that I have) that my view of life is different than someone who might be struggling. My view has always been the same, I won a bit and I lost a bit, but over the years the right attitude and tenacity gave me more wins than losses.

For sure Brexit appears to be a mix of wins and losses, I'd suggest more of the latter in the short term as things adjust because it takes time for people to adapt and align themselves towards wins rather than losses, but it's little more than another variable in the grand challenge of life every time we wake up.

I'm interested in absolute and comparative advantage, mercantilism, etc, which is why I originally posted about whether you believe that the wealth of the world is fixed (and therefore one individual may win at the expense of another losing) or whether wealth is solely created by human endevour and therefore a win-win is possible. That was all I really meant by it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am It sounds like you're generally happy and have a comfortable life, but let me ask you, did those things on your list give you the right attitude, or did having the right attitude get you the things on your list?
Blimey. You want self-psychoanalysis first thing on a Monday morning?

It's interesting that you ask about my attitude because it wasn't long ago that, when I mentioned being pessimistic, you said "I bet you're fun" or something similar :)

I think that I've changed a bit over the years.
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am You see, I'm not ok because of the things I have. If I'm ok it's because of my attitude towards life and the things I have just appeared.
I'm trying to think of examples of how what I have done has affected me later. One striking example was that my time spent as a hobby (albeit seriously, such as 2 weeks leave to attend a training course) contributed to getting the job that I have now. But the intention during that time (almost 30 years) was constantly and consistently better at it.

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am I wasn't born rich, in fact I was homeless as a young man, so it's not fair to say that because I now have some money (and probably less than you seem to think that I have)
You've done well. The thought of that horrifies me.

I can only go by what you post. Although I appreciate that your yacht doesn't have a helipad or two, you post above buying watches practically on a whim. That's, it's fair to say, putting you towards the higher end of the curve.

As I said, I'm comfortable and content. But many are not.
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am For sure Brexit appears to be a mix of wins and losses, I'd suggest more of the latter in the short term as things adjust because it takes time for people to adapt and align themselves towards wins
Given the thread title, perhaps worth noting that Mastercard are increasing fees for EU purchases. (See there for details)

When you say align with wins, that won't make the losses go away.
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:35 am I'm interested in absolute and comparative advantage, mercantilism, etc, which is why I originally posted about whether you believe that the wealth of the world is fixed (and therefore one individual may win at the expense of another losing) or whether wealth is solely created by human endevour and therefore a win-win is possible.
I have more, but perhaps transient, pet hates as I get older. One is 'improving social mobility'. Not that it shouldn't happen (you've done ok ;) , my background wasn't silver spoon or even middle class), but doesn't acknowledge that there will always be an average. Because Cameron also wanted 'aspiration'. Fine: aspire, set a target, work for it. But there are limits. If everyone who currently is below the target sets the aspiration of, picking a random but achievable target, a 6 bed detached house with massive garage housing a Bentley, 4x4 and a string of collectable bikes - that's all possible. But ... if all of those people want that house, up goes the price, so bye bye aspiration.

But, I'm going to argue against myself :) Average changes. An average house 'now' will be more gadget-filled and comfortable than one when I was a kid. But there will always be an average.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 am
But surely you give the wins a higher value in life??

I've had some massive losses (mentally, physically and financially) in the last 3-4 years. But the little wins mean far far more to me and keep me going

TBF, I've not read all of either of your posts!! But that phrase caught my eye - not wanting to get in the middle of a 'discussion' just wondering how people value wins vs losses
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:53 am
TBF, I've not read all of either of your posts!! But that phrase caught my eye - not wanting to get in the middle of a 'discussion' just wondering how people value wins vs losses
Every day i wake up is a win, if my items go up in price from the EU i couldn't give a fuck :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:55 am
Every day i wake up is a win, if my items go up in price from the EU i couldn't give a fuck :)
I'm a bit like that - I don't really count waking up as a win, but maybe I do without thinking of it!!! The little wins have meant a lot to me recently and I've had to change to higher prices by living here, so I can deal with that!! LOL :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 am
But surely you give the wins a higher value in life??

I've had some massive losses (mentally, physically and financially) in the last 3-4 years. But the little wins mean far far more to me and keep me going

Well, I try to look forward and deal with what is ahead, planning to deal with what might happen. But it's impossible to ignore the other stuff ;)

By and large, I am a positive person. If things don't work out then I try to accept it, reset, move on.

Like you, I've had an interesting year physically. That's been the end (well, not quite. Like you, physio is ongoing) driving again is the target.

I'm resigned to what's gone, but accept it. I'm not bitter about it.

Oddly - and this really puts me in a minority- I have benefited from lockdown and how it has made working at home completely normal. Without it, post-op, I would have been unusual, with the suspicion that goes with it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It's the same going the other by by the looks of it. I have to send some fork springs back to Germany and even though the supplier is paying the P&P, I have to fill out customs declarations.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Be aware that, if you're waiting for a delivery of vaccine from the EU, there might be a delay.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:47 pm Be aware that, if you're waiting for a delivery of vaccine from the EU, there might be a delay.
Helpful dear really helpful.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:55 am
In all honesty all the stuff i have bought from EU sites over the years that have been cheaper than the same product from the UK i am well in the plus column so if things change so i dont save anymore over UK prices then i still win ;)

I bought my son a couple of clothing items from a drift website in Florida and was expecting a hit from customs as with most US purchases around 100 GBP ...... the company packaged the items and the label on the outside valued the goods at less than 15 dollars so customs didnt even look at them :thumbup:

I am sure we will get used to the pricing and procedure with a bit of time ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:22 pm It's the same going the other by by the looks of it. I have to send some fork springs back to Germany and even though the supplier is paying the P&P, I have to fill out customs declarations.
List of instructions for parcel force and following on courier
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

What is annoying is that some firms seem to be managing just fine and others (selling similar products) are taking two weeks to process and then using the new issues as the reason. If two firms handling similar items have such diverse responses, its no wonder things are difficult!!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Looking at post coming OUT of the UK, deliveries are taking WAAAY longer than last year. COVID Christmas choked the system right up, it should have recovered by now, so I assume it's "paperwork" now that is just adding to the malaise. Basically if you post stuff out of the UK at the mo', don't expect it delivered within 3 or 4 weeks.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:15 am Looking at post coming OUT of the UK, deliveries are taking WAAAY longer than last year. COVID Christmas choked the system right up, it should have recovered by now, so I assume it's "paperwork" now that is just adding to the malaise. Basically if you post stuff out of the UK at the mo', don't expect it delivered within 3 or 4 weeks.
It seems totally random. I've had a couple of things posted that have arrived in less than a week and something else (similar size) is taking almost two weeks just to 'process' - they haven't posted it yet!!

But hey ho. Probably should have been in the BMP thread as I think they are faffing about (in comparison to the others!). I wouldn't mind the transit time but why does it take two weeks to actually post something? :lol: :lol:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:46 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:22 pm It's the same going the other by by the looks of it. I have to send some fork springs back to Germany and even though the supplier is paying the P&P, I have to fill out customs declarations.
List of instructions for parcel force and following on courier.

and the form to fill out!!

I used to have a small gift website before I retired and postage to the EU and worldwide was fine but the USA had just started introducing all that HF tariff stuff that you see above.

I had an online account with the Post Office which was slightly easier but it still involved filling in HF numbers, country of origin, weight of each individual product etc etc. It was a nightmare and I was just glad we didn’t do a lot to the states.

I feel sorry for individuals who now have to deal with that never mind businesses.