Keeping bikes on Optimate

Anything you like about motorbikes
Funners

Re: Keeping bikes on Optimate

Post by Funners »

As above really Optimates or whichever flavour are not just a charger, they are a battery tender, they monitor charge levesl only top up when required, carry out de-sulphation if required and generally look after the battery its not just a trickle charger.
case in point, my mates 1200 Bandit is 21 years old, always been on an optimate from day 1, its still on its OE battery, which is some kind of record :mrgreen:
All my bikes live on an optimate all the time and the only battery I've had to buy in the last 15 years was one for the BMW....which are renowned for eating batteries
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Funners wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:49 pm As above really Optimates or whichever flavour are not just a charger, they are a battery tender, they monitor charge levesl only top up when required, carry out de-sulphation if required and generally look after the battery its not just a trickle charger.
case in point, my mates 1200 Bandit is 21 years old, always been on an optimate from day 1, its still on its OE battery, which is some kind of record :mrgreen:
All my bikes live on an optimate all the time and the only battery I've had to buy in the last 15 years was one for the BMW....which are renowned for eating batteries
It's cost £2,000 in leccy, but the battery is fine :)
Funners

Post by Funners »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:51 pm
Funners wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:49 pm As above really Optimates or whichever flavour are not just a charger, they are a battery tender, they monitor charge levesl only top up when required, carry out de-sulphation if required and generally look after the battery its not just a trickle charger.
It's cost £2,000 in leccy, but the battery is fine :)
:mrgreen: ya can tek t'lad out a Yorkshire.......
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I think I go with the consensus on this thread, namely, I wouldn't worry about leaving an Optimate hooked up for a long time, but in practice I just use it to top up the charge if needed. And actually that's hardly ever. But then I don't leave my bike unridden for long, usually. Except now, and it's been several weeks since I rode it and it's been v cold and.... Optimate here we come.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

derek badger wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:24 am I've had one on the MT09 for 5 years. Longest I've had a battery survive on a bike.
The XJ6 is on a 59 plate. Still on the OE battery. Not on an Optimate. Mind you, I should probably whip it out and give it a charge as the bike was last used in November.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Potter wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:25 pmI have bikes that have been on Ctek chargers, without moving, for over three years.
Same here. One in the garage on the bike and just bought another for the car - the cold weather almost killed the battery.The car is outside and the charger is inside the house, connected by a long lead.

I like the fact that it pulses intermittently when fully charged.

I really rate CTek.

Keep Safe & Be Kind

😉
Doc

Post by Doc »

I've been using an optimate mk1 for over 20 years now. When the bike isn't being ridden it's in the garage plugged into the optimate. I usually get 5-10 years out of a battery.
Leaving an optimate plugged into the bike but not switched on will put a drain the battery, so I wouldn't recommend the timeswitch option. Maybe newer versions are diode protected though.....
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Doc wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:19 pmLeaving an optimate plugged into the bike but not switched on will put a drain the battery, so I wouldn't recommend the timeswitch option. Maybe newer versions are diode protected though.....
This is true for the CTek. It says in the manual: “Back current drain is <1Ah/month. It should be unplugged from the mains when not in use.”