New bike thread!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: New bike thread!

Post by weeksy »

Lets see some pics so we can visualise better ?
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

You should be able to remove the wheel and you will see the captive nuts inside a cage and the end of the rusty bolts sticking through.
Carefully remove the cages with a dremmel and you should be able to dremmel of the nuts without generating to much heat.
Just replace the bolts with new and you will be able to secure with new nuts on inside.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

inewham wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:51 pm My uncle used to weld a nut on the end, the heat was enough to loosen the bolt and the new nut gave you something to get a grip on
He did a few for me that way and saved me hours of grief on bolts that wouldn't shift with blow lamps, hammer and chisel etc.
Do you know anyone with welding gear?
I did but the F-i-L gave his up when he moved house, something we both regret!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Big Red wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:52 pm You should be able to remove the wheel and you will see the captive nuts inside a cage and the end of the rusty bolts sticking through.
Carefully remove the cages with a dremmel and you should be able to dremmel of the nuts without generating to much heat.
Just replace the bolts with new and you will be able to secure with new nuts on inside.
Hopefully doing exactly that tomorrow. Never known a bolt i can access to be so stuck firm, even loctited disc bolts. So, I think you're right, something is very purposefully stopping it from undoing.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Storm Christoph approaches, so probably best not to leave the bike propped up with the front wheel off. I will get these bastard springs in one day! :angry-cussingblack:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

I bought this, more out of interest than anything else - I usually just go straight for heat and then call Maccecht for help:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rusty-Nut-Bibl ... 147&sr=8-1

Have only skim read it and it seems a lot like common sense which in my case goes out the window the second I pick up tools...
Attachments
Rusty Nut Bible.jpg
Rusty Nut Bible.jpg (192.97 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I rode into work today. First time riding it with the Fakerapovic and handguards fitted and the MRA deflector removed.

First up, Fakerapovic is pretty much inaudible on the A roads and I can just hear it (I wear ear plugs) round town. Its got a little burble to it, but barely enough to alert pedestrians? It does have a removable baffle, but these bikes run so lean, i'm kinda reluctant to remove it without adding a booster plug or suchlike, so it'll stay as it is. One thing was, at first I felt it might have lost some power with it fitted, but I think that's more that I'm feeling the wind pressure on me now i've removed the MRA screen deflector?

That brings me onto removing the screen deflector and the turbulence issue that was vibrating teh peak on my new Bell m/x lid. Okay, the lid is fine now, so that's a result. Bit of a shocker at just how much wind that little screen deflector, errr, deflected! I really feel the wind on my shoulders now, but that is a lesser evil than the buffeting it caused. Result number 1! You can buy sliding brackets for the screen to make adjustments, buut I'm not sure I'll bother playing around with aerodynamics anymore?

Handguards. These things are amazing. They fit perfectly and despite riding in the pissing rain for 30 miles, I arrived with dry gloves. Result number 2!

I'm pretty stoked with this bike. It's really very good at being a commuter hack. It's a nice crossover between a bike and a scoot and suits me well. I realised today that the seat is n longer uncomfortable? I assume my butt has just got used to it, or maybe the Hagon is just absorbing things better? Front suspension is still dire, but i'll solve that - eventually!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So it's getting sold this afternoon ?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:43 am So it's getting sold this afternoon ?
No chance, its a keeper! :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Replacement mudguard/fork bolts ordered on the 12th of this month and still not arrived. Beyond pissed off waiting for these, but apparently covid has decimated our local sorting office and priority has been given to tracked deliveries.n So I'm not going to waste another dry day and tomorrow, i'll whip the old springs out, change the oil level and drop the new springs in. Changing the fork oil and dealing with rounded off bolts will just have to wait!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

So today I pulled the OEM springs out and increased the oil level to 140mm. I noted the oil was clean, so it has been changed at some point, but that's where the good news ended! The new Wirth fork springs went in but didn't drop in easily like the OEM ones at all. I had to sort of push them down quite firmly as the entered the top of the fork tube? This didn't seem right to me, so I tried the other side with the other spring but it was exactly the same. The oem fork springs just sort of drop in, as have every other set of springs i've removed and refitted/changed, but these are really dragging and binding in the forks and don't really want to go down at all? Hmmm..

Pulled them back out and mic'd them and they are 35.67 at the widest part (bottom of the coil). That isn't right is it? 35mm should be the widest right? I've photographed the markings on the springs and the packaging and contacted the supplier and will see what they say? Spring should move freely in the fork tubes right?
Last edited by Taipan on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

*comes in and checks for blowtorch action....

*leaves again,disappointed.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The Fakerapovic had an annoying rattle coming from it, which seemed to be coming from the inside? Removed the baffle and found this little thing stuck on the end of it! Thought it was very quiet!

Skub

Post by Skub »

Moar Par. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:06 pm Moar Par. :thumbup:
If I keep u with these mods I’ll be nudging the ton! 😎
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I saw 106mph on the clock of my 700... it was a very long stretch of down hill dual carriageway.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:11 pm I saw 106mph on the clock of my 700... it was a very long stretch of down hill dual carriageway.
Lol, mine wont pull into 3 figures! To be fair, i certainly don't need it to and rarely see open road on my commute anyway...
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Last foreign trip I had a brand new loaner which is what made me buy mine.
Long long road through some woods west of Bayeaux and just flipped up to 3 figures v briefly
It's no Guy Martin Hayabusa
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've had two before this one. 1st one as a 750x dct but I couldn't get comfortable on it due to a fooked knee, so it went. It also pissed me off as it was very slow, even by their standards? Looking back I think it maybe been restricted or something not quite right about it? 2nd one was a manual 750x and it was okay, but I always wished it was a dct?! This one seems to be ticking all the right boxes for me...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lolz at my new name. Fair play, sending the springs back FOC and they'll check them when the have them?

Dear On Monday,

Thank you for your message.

First at all we have a request: Please leave a note with the return, that there is a wrong nib in the packing.

Use the following link to get to our service area "Return free of charge".

Now select the corresponding country portal and enter the required data to print a return label. Please place this label directly on your return parcel, which you can then send free of charge from your post office.

Please attach a copy of the invoice to your return package.

After receipt of your return in our house, we will examine your complaint immediately and contact you again.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail or under the telephone number you find below. Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Brigitte Günther / Servicecenter

https://www.louis.eu
Mailto:service@louis.eu
Tel.: 0049 40 734 193 60