New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
KungFooBob

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by KungFooBob »

That would go well with an orange bike.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Been meaning to get a set of armoured jeans for use when teaching in the summer as leathers get too warm and the textiles keep slipping down and are too bulky for wearing on the training pad all day. Saw these Bull It from Infinity reduced by a fair bit, lob in a voucher from the kids for xmas and a discount code from the insurance company and came to about 30 quid rather than the original 140 ...bargain and seem to have half decent armour while being fairly comfortable.

Not ridden with them yet but the fit seems ok and i prefer the leg pockets for easier access to wallets etc when filling up the student bikes all the time

Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:15 pm Been meaning to get a set of armoured jeans for use when teaching in the summer as leathers get too warm and the textiles keep slipping down and are too bulky for wearing on the training pad all day. Saw these Bull It from Infinity reduced by a fair bit, lob in a voucher from the kids for xmas and a discount code from the insurance company and came to about 30 quid rather than the original 140 ...bargain and seem to have half decent armour while being fairly comfortable.

Not ridden with them yet but the fit seems ok and i prefer the leg pockets for easier access to wallets etc when filling up the student bikes all the time
Armoured jeans is all I ever use on the bike now. Way more comfy and flexible than leathers.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:49 pm Armoured jeans is all I ever use on the bike now. Way more comfy and flexible than leathers.
Me too. Had some SR6 Bull-it jeans but they were too big for me so when SBS were selling the newer Bull-it Coverts for a chunk of money off I picked up a set. Really good fit and armour
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I’d like some leather trousers but am a bit stumped as what to get, I like the look of Held stuff but does anyone know how it sizes up?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

When I was in the market for 1pc leathers I found the Held (Slade) a similar fit to the Alpinestars (Atem), I found the Spidi (Track Wind Pro) a better fit for my long legged lardy arse.

The Spidi's felt a lot more premium too, with the Held's a close 2nd.

No idea if it's the same for just trous.

Oh look a three headed monkey!
fatgit

Post by fatgit »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:34 pm As you may have seen if you'd been reading, i almost owned the Arai Rapide.... But wasn't happy with the fitting.

So i sat and debated some options and threw the Haga Arai RX-7V about in my head as it was absolutely iconic in my mind but then times went back in my head to when i owned a few Arais and the latter ones i never gelled fully with. One of them was an RX-7V too, a Rea rep.

So i sat more and almost went for an HJC RPHA70, but as the world got all chaotic i thought about which helmet has been the most comfortable over the years, without doubt it was the Shoei X Spirit 3.

After a few more debates on colours and schemes, this is now winging it's way to me.

Alex De Angelis rep from his season this year in MotoE. I just really liked the colours and scheme on it.... most impressed.
I also have recently swapped from Arai to Shoei having not gelled with a Spencer RX7-V.
I went for the Kato rep XSpirit3 in the black Friday sales
Cheers
Steve
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've recently replaced my well used X-Spirit with an NXR - wish I'd gone with another X-Spirit as they are in a different league.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

When Suomy started having (more) distribution problems in the UK I went to Infinity in Southampton where the manager is super-helpful and said "what do I get instead?" and he said that if Suomy were the best fit then I'd be "Shoei head". He was right, I bought an X-Spirit 3 (Marquez rep - in the sales) and have run them ever since. So comfortable at any speed, light, quick visor change, finish stays good, lining is easy to remove and clean. Just a "no fuss" product.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Rukka gloves. Because they fit! And they are lovely to wear, comfortable, well made and were also at a bargain price off Ebay second hand. Apparently some poor sod has even bigger hands than my size 14 plates of meat.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:34 pm As you may have seen if you'd been reading, i almost owned the Arai Rapide.... But wasn't happy with the fitting.

So i sat and debated some options and threw the Haga Arai RX-7V about in my head as it was absolutely iconic in my mind but then times went back in my head to when i owned a few Arais and the latter ones i never gelled fully with. One of them was an RX-7V too, a Rea rep.

So i sat more and almost went for an HJC RPHA70, but as the world got all chaotic i thought about which helmet has been the most comfortable over the years, without doubt it was the Shoei X Spirit 3.

After a few more debates on colours and schemes, this is now winging it's way to me.

Alex De Angelis rep from his season this year in MotoE. I just really liked the colours and scheme on it.... most impressed.
Well that didn't quite work out !

Tried on both helmets 20+ times each and if pushed, i actually prefer the NXR over the X-Spirit3. Well, apart from the looks, because the De Angelis is absolutely STUNNING to look at... However, it's not £600 stunning over the NXR.

The lining between the shell and the cheek pads is a nicer material on the NXR, the fitting of the where the visor locks is slightly better on the X-Spirit 3, but we're being very picky there...

So it's back in the van and heading back to Sportsbikeshop with 'thanks but no'
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:49 pm

Tried on both helmets 20+ times each and if pushed, i actually prefer the NXR over the X-Spirit3. Well, apart from the looks, because the De Angelis is absolutely STUNNING to look at... However, it's not £600 stunning over the NXR.

The lining between the shell and the cheek pads is a nicer material on the NXR, the fitting of the where the visor locks is slightly better on the X-Spirit 3, but we're being very picky there...

Surprised at that as I found my old X-Spirit a far nicer place for my bonce than the NXR I've replaced it with.
Think the NXR must be based around the old XR shell as I also had an XR-1000 that fitted the same - not bad but just not as nice as the X-Spirit....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yeah i was really expecting to find the same, hence jumping on the purchase. But the reality for me, is that it's not. Maybe just me, but i'm not seeing it.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Bought some new textile kit for Mrs Db in anticipation of more two up riding in 2021, finding trousers that fit during lockdown has been a ballache but we got there in the end, collecting the GS from my mate in early Feb 👍
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

A Shoei GT Air 2. I need a new lid this year but wasn't gonna do it till the spring. Had my mind set on a Shark Spartan GT as I like my current Shark but then I saw this for a big discount. £350 seemed a good price for the Air 2 so it's winging it's way to me. I preferred the colour of the Shark but figure a Shoei will be a better lid. Just hope it fits nicely now.
https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... 2-crossbar
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've not bought one (they're not out yet).

I've been looking at the new Arai Quantic.

Apart from absolutely loving this colour scheme, check out the forehead Arai logo... it's actually a vent.

formula400

Post by formula400 »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:49 pm

I much preferred my NXR over the x-sprit 3, a lot cheaper as well.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:38 pm A Shoei GT Air 2. I need a new lid this year but wasn't gonna do it till the spring. Had my mind set on a Shark Spartan GT as I like my current Shark but then I saw this for a big discount. £350 seemed a good price for the Air 2 so it's winging it's way to me. I preferred the colour of the Shark but figure a Shoei will be a better lid. Just hope it fits nicely now.

Ok so it's arrived and I'm happy with it. Always worry a bit with lids as know they are a long term investment so don't want to get fit wrong etc.

First impressions are it has a very premium feel to it and the fit is nice and sumptuous, snug but with room around the ears. My current Shark has higher and longer cheek pads so feels a bit like I have more room at the front of my face, but judging by my hamster cheeks in both I think the sizing is right. Visor is fairly stiff but sure that'll loosen up a little and means it'll stay up when riding at 30 which I do a fair amount in town. The drop down visor isn't quite as dark as the Shark but no idea if that'll be an issue until we have some sunshine :roll:

From reviews it seems it's divisive but liking the fact it has a ratchet strap, totally happy with them and my really old Shoei had a similar seat belt clip which was fine for years. Like the chin cover too, should help a little on cold rides.

Gonna have to play with my Cardo Scala Rider to get it to fit, but hopeful I'll be able to fit it aft of the Sena pods Shoei put on it. Worse case I'll be using the stick pads the Cardo came with.

So all in all a good buy 8-)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:08 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:38 pm A Shoei GT Air 2. I need a new lid this year but wasn't gonna do it till the spring. Had my mind set on a Shark Spartan GT as I like my current Shark but then I saw this for a big discount. £350 seemed a good price for the Air 2 so it's winging it's way to me. I preferred the colour of the Shark but figure a Shoei will be a better lid. Just hope it fits nicely now.

Ok so it's arrived and I'm happy with it. Always worry a bit with lids as know they are a long term investment so don't want to get fit wrong etc.

First impressions are it has a very premium feel to it and the fit is nice and sumptuous, snug but with room around the ears. My current Shark has higher and longer cheek pads so feels a bit like I have more room at the front of my face, but judging by my hamster cheeks in both I think the sizing is right. Visor is fairly stiff but sure that'll loosen up a little and means it'll stay up when riding at 30 which I do a fair amount in town. The drop down visor isn't quite as dark as the Shark but no idea if that'll be an issue until we have some sunshine :roll:

From reviews it seems it's divisive but liking the fact it has a ratchet strap, totally happy with them and my really old Shoei had a similar seat belt clip which was fine for years. Like the chin cover too, should help a little on cold rides.

Gonna have to play with my Cardo Scala Rider to get it to fit, but hopeful I'll be able to fit it aft of the Sena pods Shoei put on it. Worse case I'll be using the stick pads the Cardo came with.

So all in all a good buy 8-)
And...bugger it might be going back. Was nice for a quick try on but watching telly for half hour in it I've noticed that the strap is digging into my adams apple. Not constant but keeps catching and noticeable when I take the lid off I can feel it.

There's a chance I might get used to it, or the strap softens a bit. But equally there's a chance it's gonna be really annoying so probably too much of a gamble to keep. Cock. Really liked the lid. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ridiculous.... i'd never do anything like that.

:)