What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
irie

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by irie »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:37 pm
irie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 pm Collected Mrs irie from the garage after she took her A3 in for a service. On the 5 minute journey back home the L200 engine just stopped so I immediately put it into neutral and coasted onto the verge.

Couldn't restart the engine so got a recovery early afternoon. Got a call later on today to say that all the coolant was gone and the engine had seized and it's a write off. 10 years old and 128,000 miles. Shit.

Gotta buy some new wheels tomorrow. Bummer.
Could have been worse, could have been a D22 Nissan. That might have managed 3 years and 10k.

What you gonna buy?
Probably a 2-3 year old Ford Kuga that will:

1. Get serviced within walking distance.

2. Carry my kitesurfing gear.

3. Carry my mtb.

4. Carry garden waste.

5. Pull a caravan.

and other equally mundane things.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just been looking at cheap(ish and 2nd hand) 4X4's including the Kuga, but I think I prefer the Rav4.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

137527656_3635003526614931_9107256461886032347_n.jpg
137527656_3635003526614931_9107256461886032347_n.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

irie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:37 pm
irie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 pm Collected Mrs irie from the garage after she took her A3 in for a service. On the 5 minute journey back home the L200 engine just stopped so I immediately put it into neutral and coasted onto the verge.

Couldn't restart the engine so got a recovery early afternoon. Got a call later on today to say that all the coolant was gone and the engine had seized and it's a write off. 10 years old and 128,000 miles. Shit.

Gotta buy some new wheels tomorrow. Bummer.
Could have been worse, could have been a D22 Nissan. That might have managed 3 years and 10k.

What you gonna buy?
Probably a 2-3 year old Ford Kuga that will:

1. Get serviced within walking distance.

2. Carry my kitesurfing gear.

3. Carry my mtb.

4. Carry garden waste.

5. Pull a caravan.

and other equally mundane things.
Drive one first. I had one a few years ago and the turbo diesels suffer from a really bad dead throttle. E/G? Waiting at a roundabout, see a gap, floor it and nothing happens! :shock: Maybe they've cured it on later models but my Sons 2016 Transit Connect still does it.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Moved house and gained some garage space
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Nidge wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:11 am Moved house and gained some garage space
:o Wow, nice gaff! Congratulations and happy new home day! :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I have garage envy!!! (My apartment would fit in there with room to spare!! LOL)

Nice house too :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Very swish. Your good health to enjoy Nidge. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Plenty space for machine tools. Wanna buy a pillar drill guv?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Been continuing on the 'sorting of stuff'!! Damn I've kept a lot of random things. Trouble is that, if (when?) I manage to get a bigger place, then a lot of it will be useful (photos, pictures, nicnacks). So I don't want to get rid!

I have found a massive folder of recipe cuttings - from before we all used google!! :lol: So I've been through and thrown loads away, filed some in clear wallets to go in a recipe file. Also sorted some cook books to get rid of ( rarely do that, but these I won't ever use!)

That made me feel good

The bit that didn't make me feel good was realising that a box of photos and books were stored somewhere damp at some point :( Cue a lots of wallets of photos that are now a block of photos and a couple of very old books that aren't in a block, but the pages aren't all loose :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Bought my first angle grinder, not going out robbing though.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Just eaten a big ol’ curry. :banana-dance:
irie

Post by irie »

Ordered a car yesterday, sorting out the money 'n stuff today.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:09 am
Bwana wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:56 am Employee stuff
Damn Bwana. That sux sooo much. I never understand why employees fuck over their employer when they are on a good thing. But so many do :(

Crossing everything for your sister

Huge hugs xxx
My sister is doing well!

THanks to all with the well wishes.

2021 has had a few bumps but business is looking better. my new receptionist is awesome. My assistant has beenoff work for morethan she's been on. Running a fever at first and feeling shitty but fine now. STill waiting for her COVID test results before I let her back in the building. She's been a joy to work with, atleast when she's been at work. I'm back up to more of a full time schedule. Sort of, four 10 hour days. Three day weekends are nice.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Used my spiffy new Gallo gun to clean out the overflow line from the pool. 800psi of CO2 resulted in an eruption of mud & then water from the other end of the line next to the lawn. Had no idea where the other end was before this. Quite a flow of water for a while & pool level dropped an inch in fairly short order.
Literally took less than a minute start to finish for the job, can't believe the fucking pool guy wanted $200 to do this.
David

Post by David »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:46 am Used my spiffy new Gallo gun to clean out the overflow line from the pool. 800psi of CO2 resulted in an eruption of mud & then water from the other end of the line next to the lawn. Had no idea where the other end was before this. Quite a flow of water for a while & pool level dropped an inch in fairly short order.
Literally took less than a minute start to finish for the job, can't believe the fucking pool guy wanted $200 to do this.
It's knowing what to hit things with that gets expensive
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

David wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:54 am
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:46 am Used my spiffy new Gallo gun to clean out the overflow line from the pool. 800psi of CO2 resulted in an eruption of mud & then water from the other end of the line next to the lawn. Had no idea where the other end was before this. Quite a flow of water for a while & pool level dropped an inch in fairly short order.
It's knowing what to hit things with that gets expensive
Plus the insurance for hitting the wrong thing
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Led a service through prerecorded YouTube recording. Odd looking at myself leading.... Taped up the front door for another coat of "Buttercup Yellow". You won't be able to miss our front door for sure. No excuse for the delivery people as not other family in our neighbourhood is mad enough to go with this colour. Opened Holly's Blend and made inroads, nice nice nice nice. Logging into Zoom now for "after Church" meeting and fellowship.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Cleaned the car, twice (I'd left it a bit long and it looked like it'd been rallying for about a month)
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Been out to do an errand for a friend. She lives in Indonesia but has an apartment here and wanted some measurements taken so she can get a set of stairs built to get to a mezzanine floor (current stairs don't fit well)

Bonus was I got to go for a walk in the snow! Downside was that the buses are only running every 1hr 20mins. I was worried I'd miss the next bus so walked as fast as I dared on the snow (not very!) - its about 10 mins each way from the bus stop to the building. And had to get and drop off a key for the outside door en route

Only finished and got back 40 mins before the next bus :o So I could stand in the cold for 40 mins or I could walk home. I walked home!! So I've done about 2kms uphill on not very grippy surface!! Now sitting here working out if I can fit a 'disabled' bath in my tiny shower room (instead of a shower, well, with a shower over the top!!)

But

In the apartment, her ex built a spiral staircase to get from the main room up to the bedrooms. I'm kinda wondering if he wanted to be ex but without the hassle of a divorce!!! Bloody hell those stairs are scary. To fit he's cut away part of each step to make room. He's tall and seriously skinny so probably ok for him. I know one of his sons is broader than I am, so no idea how he gets up and down them. For the FUF it just made me feel sick, going up and coming back down!!! Can't believe they are legal - even in France!!! :o