RTTL Dream Track

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
MingtheMerciless

RTTL Dream Track

Post by MingtheMerciless »

OK, in reference to the other favourite track day thread, we've an infinite amount of money and access to land so we can build our own dream track, you may nominate 1 corner or feature from a UK track and 1 corner or feature from a worldwide track.

1. Spa, Eau Rouge
2. Brands Hatch, Dingle Dell

(I like my gradient changes)
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: RTTL Dream Track

Post by weeksy »

Without being too harsh and i will pick a corner in a minute... Tehy've already built it... It's in Portimao :)

But to join in, i'll go with the long right hander, slightly uphill at Jerez on to the back straight i guess it's turn 6 i think.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Mountain at Cadwell and the Corkscrew Laguna/Anglesey.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Coppice and Charlies at Cadwell,
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Gradient? Add in the Gooseneck :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:31 am Gradient? Add in the Gooseneck :)
:D

The Byfleet Banking at Brooklands.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am :D

Riding along or up?

Use the test hill if you want 'up'. Catch more air at the top than you would at Cadwell's little hill ... :)
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Shell oils at Oulton (the banked one), and as mentioned, the mountain at Cadwel is essential !
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 am
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am :D

Riding along or up?

Use the test hill if you want 'up'. Catch more air at the top than you would at Cadwell's little hill ... :)
The long way round. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am

Have you ever driven on proper banking? I've done the bowl at MIRA (as a passenger), its such a weird sight seeing the road dissappear out of the top of the windscreen.

It's also a bit disconcerting when the driver sets the cruise control to 70 and just sits there 'cornering' with his arms folded.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 pm
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am

Have you ever driven on proper banking? I've done the bowl at MIRA (as a passenger), its such a weird sight seeing the road dissappear out of the top of the windscreen.

It's also a bit disconcerting when the driver sets the cruise control to 70 and just sits there 'cornering' with his arms folded.
Yep - Did the Longcross (Qinetic) track a couple of times on the ZXR400, there's a long 180 degree banked corner at the southern end. it's not 'that' high though. One of the days was a Visordown organised event and we were allowed to take pillions but I think only a couple of people went out as pillion.

My brothers have done a classic day at Monthlery, on classic bikes (the HRD IIRC) which is a lot steeper (but I don't know how far up it you can get). Very miffed I missed that trip. :angry-cussingblack:

I've crawled up the Member's banking at Brooklands.. it feels nigh on vertical at the top!
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 pm

I have, at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, I did a NASCAR driving experience (cost £400 in 1998), the banking was weird, like a sweeping left hand uphill bend, you could really feel the cars suspension compressing mid bend though (the car was a two seat NASCAR chassis with a 300bhp Ford V8), I got loads of car time because everyone else there was a middle aged Yank that didn't want to drive the only manual car.

Edit: just realised it must have been 1997 because we went to the USA the first time just before my 30th Birthday, in 1999 for my wife's 30th I treated her to a trip to California.
Honda Owner
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Folly, Avon Rise into Quarry at Castle Combe. Possibly the most technical section I've ever driven & ridden and an absolute joy to try and master.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

First corner just has to be Cadwell club hairpin. I doubt if any on here have seen it in action.
30+ riders flat out braking for super slow corner. Guaranteed crash fest in the proddy races. :mrgreen:

Then Hollywood, Craner through to Coppice. If you’ve ridden it, you’ll know why.
145 down Hollywood and 150 approaching Schwantz and just roll off a bit, then hard on brakes for McCleans

Then into Shell Oils hairpin, coming out over Clay Hill. Again, flat stick about 150, blind through trees and hit the brakes before you can see Druids 😉

Coming out into Surtees which is flat stick once past the apex, run wide and lift over the hill. Flowing into the triple apex of Westfield. Keep it pinned and the apexes come to you if you get it right 😉

Then the Mountain through to the hairpin. Awesomeness in huge doses.

Then Ferrari (turn 12) at Jerez. Proper scary quick.

And I’ll chuck in Woodlands from Pembrey. Can take it flat stick about 140 !!!!!!!

Turns 9,10 and 11 at Cartegena. Cool if you nail it.

To finish ?

Again, going back to my yoof racing on the club circuit..

Second to last corner Gooseneck where you had to really push and get good speed down to Mansfield. This was the last corner with 100 yard sprint to finish. Many, many late lunges and crashes at Mansfield. Proper shit or bust corner.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm First corner just has to be Cadwell club hairpin. I doubt if any on here have seen it in action. :mrgreen:
Is that just down from Gooseneck, then before Mountain, a 180 degree right?

If so, I've been around it a few times :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm First corner just has to be Cadwell club hairpin. I doubt if any on here have seen it in action. :mrgreen:

That's the one, I've seen it used, it's a very slow corner, I think it was before the chicanes between Mansfield and the bottom of the mountain.
And I don't like any of Donington, but it was wet the day I rode there, the whole track was greasy and horrible.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm

That's the one, I've seen it used, it's a very slow corner, I think it was before the chicanes between Mansfield and the bottom of the mountain.
And I don't like any of Donington, but it was wet the day I rode there, the whole track was greasy and horrible.
Yup. You could get a fair lick on from Mansfield and the straight became a bend. A BSB crashed there and went into riders other side of banking who were heading into Coppice. So they put the chicane in.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I did track days at Cadwell before the chicane and I've done them since it went in, much nicer track without it.
Honda Owner
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm First corner just has to be Cadwell club hairpin. I doubt if any on here have seen it in action.
30+ riders flat out braking for super slow corner. Guaranteed crash fest in the proddy races. :mrgreen:
Cadwell club circuit was used for the first Desmodue race in 2005, 30+ orange vest novices in their first ever race start, all piling into the club hairpin simultaneously was hilarious! There's some video of it somewhere.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm First corner just has to be Cadwell club hairpin. I doubt if any on here have seen it in action.

I remember it well, and as well as being skittled , and also crashing purely through my own efforts at that hairpin, I also won a race or two on the old club circuit too on my 350YPVS, so who knows, I guess we may have even been in the same races ( I ran the 350 for all of the '87 season and first couple of meetings in 88 before moving to a CBR600 ) before we even never knew each other, if you see what I mean :D .

I also remember the club hairpin in reverse, ie turning right into it and heading up the mountain.
Clubmans Racing Club ( ran by Jim Parker and Jean Maslin at the time and which became New Era in either 88 or 89ish) also used to run the "Bill Ivy" meeting once a year, where you'd race on the Club circuit on the Saturday and then the ultra short "Mountain" circuit (basically turn right halfway along the pit straight back through the club haipin the other way) on the Sunday.
Them were the days etc! :thumbup: