How many of you still ride a motorbike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: How many of you still ride a motorbike?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Three bikes, though two are SORN'd to keep costs down during lockdown (and if Boris had got his ruddy act together and announced the lockdown in December I would have SORN'd the third as well.

I still ride, though I tend to take Jan / Feb off these days. Would be hard to be a bike trainer if I didn't, as lockdown is proving. I did manage to run courses between June and October but my training efforts right now are online.

Did a couple of big trips with my other half in 2018 and 2019, doing 3500 miles on each, touring New Zealand. I was riding between a dozen-plus venues at the employ of the NZ Transport Agency as a keynote speaker (sounds good, doesn't it) on the Shiny Side Up tours both those years. We did manage to fit a little private time in too.

Whilst we were allowed this year, we also used the bike for some scenic trips to find farm shops not too far away to stock the freezer, and also managed to squeeze in a few days riding into the Shropshire Hills and out through the Cambrian Mountains to the coast in the Aberystwyth area.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Whysub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:51 pm
asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:44 pm Finchingfield is good -and a bit more of a run for me.
And nobody say the Bike Shed - it's 10 minutes walk from our house .
Not enough hipsters here for a meet at the Bike Shed

I keep meaning to take the Rockster up there and confuse them.
non quod, sed quomodo
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I've kept riding this year, but lockdown has limited things, obviously. My 'staple' rides - all leisure, apart from the occasional local shopping trip - normally consist of the navigational rallies and group rides with LMRC or LSEMC. Group rides were out this year, for me, as my wife is a 'shielder'. I've managed some Round Britain Rally trips, armed with a sandwich and a flask. The Welsh was cancelled. The National Road Rally got postponed until September, but was doable as it was entirely unmanned.

I guesstimate I've ridden about 4,000 miles this year. Maybe 60-65% of my usual mileage. I expect the coming year will be similar, unless the vaccine gets rolled out pronto, in which case..:banana-wrench:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Still riding at 71, although not as much as I used to. My riding is purely for pleasure now as I retired last year and lived pretty close to work so was more likely to walk rather than go through the faff of getting togged up etc. I'm a 3 seasons rider and only when the temperatures are in double figures. I'm fortunate to have a gaff in the South of France and keep a bike down there permanently, so a fair bit of my annual mileage is on the excellent D roads in the area. I really can't imagine not having a bike, although I suppose at some point I'll have to hang up my boots. I'd like to think I'll still be riding bikes in my 80s, but the important thing is to take every opportunity as it arises.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

My friend has an old triumph speed triple stashed at his partners gaff in Libourne and KTM adv for here.
Ride as often as you can.Looking forward to knocking work on the head with a few caveats ....
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

We're in the Languedoc, not far from Beziers. I tend to leave the old VFR down there and if it's still possible post-Brexit I'd like to register it in France. In the UK I have a 350LC, a Falco and a Duke 690 R, so spolit for choice. I'm currently making sure all the maintenance is done in the shitty weather months so I'm ready to go when the half way decent weather arrives.