How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Commuted by motorbike to work today - I find the judgemental "your having fun" looks amusing.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm enjoying it :)

If they could just open the local pub, then i'm not sure i'd ever need to leave the village.
cheb

Post by cheb »

With the exception of seeing friends I really haven't noticed much change. My wife comes and goes as she always has, and I pootle about in sheds and go shopping occasionally.

The need to visit the big island is building though, my van needs replaced. Hardly an essential trip.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am Commuted by motorbike to work today - I find the judgemental "your having fun" looks amusing.
Ditto.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Skub wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:54 pm A grand day for biking,blue sky all around.

Sigh.

Sadly,there'll be no bike action for the foreseeable. :thumbdown:

Plenty of time to inhale some solder fumes then....

Not got a fore/aft switch on that setup then?
Skub

Post by Skub »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:53 pm Not got a fore/aft switch on that setup then?
No man,I went for totally simple on this one. I put a 3 way switch on the last Esquire,but find I don't use the other option much anyway,so just volume and tone this time around. Less drama for my shit soldering skills too! :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Skub

Post by Skub »

That's me more or less finished as far as visuals are concerned.
A couple of jobs left,I'll need to shim the neck to get the action I want and the tone pot doesn't work,dunno if it was a duff one,or maybe I cooked it with my soldering 'skills'. Needs a couple of strap buttons too. Weighs 6.08 pounds fully clothed!

Walt Whitman
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Well that beats the hell out of anything I’ve done. Looks great even if it doesn’t match in sound! :clap:
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Skub wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 pm That's me more or less finished as far as visuals are concerned.
A couple of jobs left,I'll need to shim the neck to get the action I want and the tone pot doesn't work,dunno if it was a duff one,or maybe I cooked it with my soldering 'skills'. Needs a couple of strap buttons too. Weighs 6.08 pounds fully clothed!

Nice! Oh I see, there's no neck pickup.

On my standardish Tele I find I prefer the twang of the bridge pickup on its own as a rule and on mine I wired in a push pull pot so I can run the pickups series/parallel. I can't stop fiddling with it. ;)

Your tone pot problem may just be a dicky solder joint by the way, probably one of the grounds.
Skub

Post by Skub »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:54 am

On my standardish Tele I find I prefer the twang of the bridge pickup on its own as a rule and on mine I wired in a push pull pot so I can run the pickups series/parallel. I can't stop fiddling with it. ;)

Your tone pot problem may just be a dicky solder joint by the way, probably one of the grounds.
The Baja Tele has the push/pull option,it's a very popular guitar and because some folk shy away from anything Mexican,it's bloody great value. I like the neck especially,since it's a fair bit fatter than the usual slim C shape. The neck I used on this one is off a Baja,I got lucky with an eBay sale.

You were bang on about the tone pot,one wire had a dry joint. Nice when it's an easy fix. Cheers man. 8-)
Walt Whitman
moth

Post by moth »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:54 am

He's Esquired it :)
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Social distancing not always a success, out on a constitutional yomp with the misses and Mr runner "Im not moving for anyone" gets a rebuke from Mrs Rdbrgee, he kicks off and gets a don't be so bloody stupid from me. wish I'd come up with a more imaginative get lost phrase.` :wave: or looked ` bit more like Mike Tyson. No handbags this time....
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

rodbargee wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:49 pm Social distancing not always a success, out on a constitutional yomp with the misses and Mr runner "Im not moving for anyone" gets a rebuke from Mrs Rdbrgee, he kicks off and gets a don't be so bloody stupid from me. wish I'd come up with a more imaginative get lost phrase.` :wave: or looked ` bit more like Mike Tyson. No handbags this time....
I keep forgetting to move out of the way of people. Was out today walking the mutt and the Mrs had to tell me three times to give people space when they passed us.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

The old dog had a turn, had her booked in for That trip to the vets and as the van has been sat for 3 weeks of course it let me down. need to get it sorted for a re booked visit tomorrow at 10 if she hasn't sorted it out for herself. I've had better days to be honest.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

chillitt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:18 pm The old dog had a turn, had her booked in for That trip to the vets and as the van has been sat for 3 weeks of course it let me down. need to get it sorted for a re booked visit tomorrow at 10 if she hasn't sorted it out for herself. I've had better days to be honest.
Sorry to hear that. Our pets are our joy and sorrow at times. My brother had to take his labrador/collie cross he has had for 16 years to the vet for "the farewell" just before this virus stuff all started. Sad days.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

chillitt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:18 pm The old dog had a turn, had her booked in for That trip to the vets and as the van has been sat for 3 weeks of course it let me down. need to get it sorted for a re booked visit tomorrow at 10 if she hasn't sorted it out for herself. I've had better days to be honest.
Sorry Chillit. Furry little buggers have a way of getting under your skin. Hope the end is peaceful for her. :(
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Cancelled vets appointment. buried dog. still need to fix van.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Sorry chap. That is hard. At least you have a "memorial spot" at home though and all that. Do take time and space for the memories etc.

Hope you can get the van sorted.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

chillitt wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:53 am
Cancelled vets appointment. buried dog. still need to fix van.
Sorry to hear it mate. :( :(
non quod, sed quomodo
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Tricky wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 am
Buckaroo wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:46 pm
Tricky wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm It's the calm before the (potential) storm for me.
My girlfriend went down with it on Sunday just gone and has been suffering quite badly since then, although I don't think she's in any danger, just really uncomfortable and not having a very good time at all - I was with her all day Saturday up until Sunday morning and we did hold hands etc once or twice during that time, so am assuming I can't have escaped having it passed to me.

I've been in self-isolation since Sunday (we have separate houses), am still working pretty much as normal from home, but the not going out at all is getting to me a bit already as its been so nice outside, I miss running or getting out on a bike badly, and it's all just a bit weird TBH;- I am finding it hard to believe I am going to get it as I feel absolutely fine at the moment, but from what I can gather average incubation time is approx 5 days which would make it tomorrow night / friday for me, so I guess I'll find out soon enough :|
I hope you and the other half get through this ok
Cheers and yep, she's through the other side and completely recovered now, she had a really rough time of it , she's pretty tough but I honestly think she did want to die in the first week of it and would have taken the option if someone would have offered it to her :cry:

I'm still struggling to believe what I had just over a week ago ( think it was in the post after the above one) was C19 , as it was so minor relatively speaking and short-lived for me but have felt A1 since and am out of isolation and back with her
Well, a bit of an update
TLDR: I'm now in absolutely no doubt that what I had was a dose of Covid19, and more certain that I ever was that I never want to become really old and/or infirm

The longer version, with a bit of background- my (88YO) Dad has not been particularly well or mobile for a few years now, and since coming out of hospital a few weeks ago he has a hospital bed at home, carers to come in 4 times a day to get him out of bed, do the messy stuff etc, leaving my old (85YO) mum just having to give him his meds and food each day.

Anyway, due to both their age and vulnerability (both have multiple old-people type ailments and associated meds), they have been isolating as far as possible, and of course, with my and my OH's recent C19 experiences I've kept my distance and not been near them since before lockdown started until 2 weeks ago when I'd arranged to pop round and have a distanced cup of tea with me sitting out in the road and my Mum in her doorway. When I got there and she eventually came to the door, it was obvious she really wasn't herself, had apparently had the shits for a couple of days, no energy and " a bit of a cough".
I called 111, went through a load of stuff and they got the paramedics out, who took her temp (was up in the 38s) , BP, etc, said was a possibility that it was C19, but more likely Gastroenteritis, and basically said bed rest and paracetamol for a few days and it would hopefully pass, so I ended up staying there to look after my Dad, and now a sick mum alongside him.
Two days later she was if anything worse- temp still in the high 37s at best, the main thing though was dehydration as even a sip of water was going straight through her, so paramedics came out again and hospitalized her to get her on a drip and hydrate her. They also then did the up the nose test for C19.
The following day, temp was stable and she could walk so they sent her home with some antibiotics and she has been here ever since- at the time, they said it was either gastroenteritis and pneumonia, or possibly Covid19 - 3 days after she came home from the hospital, she got a letter telling her she had tested positive.
And now ( approx 10 days later ), although not quite back to full strength, she is getting up and dressed each day and eating normally and not far off.
My brother and I have been taking turns living at their house 4 on / 4 off to look after them- their home is where they both want to be, and well, they are our parents.

The last couple of weeks have been quite hard work and definitely not my dream choice of occupation (particularly when loss of control of bowel movements is involved :sick: :crazy: ) but the really positive stuff to come out of it for us is that they have now had it and it hasn't killed them, and for me personally, if I was in any doubt that my couple of days of minor symptoms were C19, after the additional exposure to a confirmed positive sufferer I've now also had (I have felt A1 throughout) I'm not now - maybe I should get a T shirt made :D