How many of you still ride a motorbike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Docca

How many of you still ride a motorbike?

Post by Docca »

There has been a virtual Visordown thing set up on Facebook. I haven’t joined yet, but you can see who has posted what. One topic was who is still riding. I was somewhat surprised to see many haven’t ridden for years ( many, many years for some).

Do you still ride? How often?

I’m sad to say that I didn’t ride a motorbike at all in 2020. That’s the first time in 20 years.
irie

Re: How many of you still ride a motorbike?

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 am There has been a virtual Visordown thing set up on Facebook. I haven’t joined yet, but you can see who has posted what. One topic was who is still riding. I was somewhat surprised to see many haven’t ridden for years ( many, many years for some).

I’m sad to say that I didn’t ride a motorbike at all in 2020. That’s the first time in 20 years.
Same for us, went out on mtb's instead.
Last edited by irie on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I would but can't :(

I rode a few times in summers 2018 & 2019 but it was too painful in 2020 (and didn't have a working bike)

If I can get the Monster to the friend that has offered to get it running again, then I plan to ride a LOT in 2021!!!

I've missed it lots and it's definitely affected me mentally not being able to ride :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've got 4 motor bikes. 2 actually work give or take but 3 are technically road legal.

I'll have two fully road legal and functional bikes in spring.

I've done tens of thousands of miles in the last 3 or 4 years but most is commuting.
Druid

Post by Druid »

I do.

I did about 2000 miles in 2020, which is about average for me over the last 10 years or so, pretty much all leisure riding.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Bike was SORN for 2020 but new battery has arrived, so when it warms up a bit... :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Nope. Told not to by the GP but wouldn't have been daft enough to even try as my balance is so bad.

Mentally I still do ...

If my balance improves enough then I'll get a bicycle, but the increased injury risk from higher speeds on motorcycles combined with metalwork in my neck and bits of brain now only covered by muscle rather than bone mean probably not.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I ride mine a couple if times a week..even during lockdown I managed to get out by delivering prescriptions to people tha5 are shielding etc...usually only a few miles but enough to keep my hand in.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Clearly i ride, not as much as once, but in the nice months i'll ride 1-3 times a week, but only for pleasure, not for commuting.

I still enjoy motorbikes, but maybe not quite as much as i did 15 years ago. I won't be giving them up that's for sure.
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

I still haven't since stopping rather abruptly in 2013.

I do have a bike though, which should hopefully be up and running for the summer.. then I'll see if I feel like it and perhaps do a couple of track days (very unlikely to ever ride on the road again).
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, two motorcycles. 1800 miles last year. Just stopped because of the winter weather - done enough of that in my lifetime. Will start again come March or April.

Strange, I’ve always felt safer on a bike than in a car. More alert, so to speak.

The thrill of a ride never goes.

🙂
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Yes, but returned after a break of about six years. Pretty much for commuting with the occasional ride out.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Think I used my bikes about 5 or 6 times last year. The MT09 had one trip to Bristol, one up to London for work and down the seaside once. I had a quick potter about on the CG125 and it's MOT is due this week so I'll see where we are with the lockdown restrictions.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yeah,still riding. I'm retired now,so no commuting or Winter travel.
Up until last year I used an SH300 all year round,but sold it as I really only need one bike now.

At the grand old age of 65 I made the move from sportsbikes to something more road focussed,this has once again lit my fire for all things bike.

6 months is the longest I've been without a bike,because I had to buy a car and I was skint.

No bike would be like no guitar for me,unthinkable.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Docca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:27 am There has been a virtual Visordown thing set up on Facebook. I haven’t joined yet, but you can see who has posted what. One topic was who is still riding. I was somewhat surprised to see many haven’t ridden for years ( many, many years for some).

Still got a Rockster (obvs), I'd be riding more often, but my gf's house has nowhere to park (except the road outside), and after yesterday's conversation with the insurance agency, it's unlikely it'll "live" here any time soon. :( (Insurance quote was something like £900 - apparantly it's a very high risk area).

So currently it's tucked away in a garage in a safer area and if I want a ride it's an hour's drive, kit up, ride, get changed, drive home. I daresay when the sun is out it will be a temptation for an afternoons enjoyment, assuming we're allowed to be outside ever again.

I didn't ride for about 15 months when I was travelling in 2018/19 and was jonesing so badly I had the K12R out, MOT'd and taxed within 48 hours of returning to the UK.
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'd hazard a guess most of the 'debates' in the political thread involve those who no longer ride.

Maybe there's a link. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Still ride daily but only around 6 miles....
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I do- like most it seems in this thread so far, not as much as I once did, but I still ride on road, off-road and occasional trackdays.
Have never been without at least one bike since a very early age and have a fair collection of bikes that I get a huge amount of pleasure from, and can't imagine ever being without one.
hawker

Post by hawker »

Not me at all since my near-death crash on my bicycle on the 8th August 2012. I am not allowed to drive a car after such a severe head injury and sadly my beloved Triumph Sprint RS had to go and cannot risk a motorbike nowadays anyway. That is life I guess? :thumbup:
But at least I am alive to still enjoy the memories, and all of your company of course!! :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 am I'd hazard a guess most of the 'debates' in the political thread involve those who no longer ride.

Maybe there's a link. :lol:

You might have a point :D

To slightly salve my conscience, I had a count in Staying Alive - I started about a dozen of the threads on the first page :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: