Energica Eva super naked.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: Energica Eva super naked.

Post by Potter »

I really liked it until I saw the weight.

I also get what they're saying about the heft making it feel smooth. Obviously you can tune suspension to do whatever you want and I have a grasp of the science behind it but big heavy bikes with a lot of momentum do give a perception of making things smoother, I posted as much on the thread about the light wheels.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:49 pm ~250 miles in town or ~120 'Highway' so probably somewhere in the low hundreds on A roads.

It takes 40 minutes to charge 80% on a faster charger, the lower powered ones can add 40 miles for every hour plugged in.

Its getting to the point where you could conceivably do a track day on one, maybe even there already.
Track riding will use a fair bit more energy than A-road riding.

On my ZXR400 i could get about 120 miles from a tank (before reserve) on a fast a-road ride, but only about 80 miles on a trackday.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I was thinking about the numbers last night.

How far are you gonna ride in a 20 minute session? 90s-2 minute laps means you're gonna get 10 in at most? So that's gonna be 20-30 miles tops?

Then you've got 40 mins (probably more like 20-30 including faff) to charge up before doing it again.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:51 pm
Happily, the Energica’s chassis is tight and clatter-free, but its bulk causes a lots of weight transfer through the forks when you roll-off the throttle. There’s some vagueness and instability tipping into corners, but on the straights those kilos actually help the ride quality, stamping out bumps in its path....
Controversial I know, but, a Telelever/Duolever/HCS or other alternative "funny front end" might be a good solution to that issue.

I wonder if any EM producer will try one?
Last edited by Rockburner on Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

18-20 miles on a decent session.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

A fast charger can add 40 miles range for every hour plugged in, so you'd be looking at roughly half an hour to get a session's worth of charge back.

So yeah...doable even today if you're organised about it, but a stretch.

Not far off being mainstream.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:42 pm A fast charger can add 40 miles range for every hour plugged in, so you'd be looking at roughly half an hour to get a session's worth of charge back.

A mile on track is about 3 on the road.

I could get about 160 miles from GSXR 1000 at steady pace. Only about 65-70 on track.

That heavy beast will be worse.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When Formula E first started in 2014 they used to swap cars half way through because the battery couldn't do the whole race.

From 2018 onwards they had faster cars that could do the whole race on one charge.

From 2022 they'll have cars which will be charged mid race in pit stop.

So things are progressing pretty quickly!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Now that is a fast charge. 😯
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:42 pm A fast charger can add 40 miles range for every hour plugged in, so you'd be looking at roughly half an hour to get a session's worth of charge back.

The problem would be where do you plug your charger in, maybe you could take a petrol generator with you?
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well yeah it would be a fairly special undertaking at the moment, but that will change.

Silverstone already has three charging stations on site for example, I dunno how many charge points are at each station. Silverstone was always gonna be an early adopter given how busy it is.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You'd assume over time they'll end up charging of standard 240v house points ? Or not ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Both.

AFAIK electricity from a fast charger in a car park already costs more than that from a normal wall socket.

Makes sense. If you can afford to wait you stick on the domestic 3 pin socket, if you're in a hurry you pay a bit more for the high power charger.

At the moment id guess anyone buying a £20k electric motorcycle has a garage with wall power already. Most of the time you'd charge it at home slowly, but you can charge it quickly if you're out for a longer journey.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:33 am Both.

AFAIK electricity from a fast charger in a car park already costs more than that from a normal wall socket.

Makes sense. If you can afford to wait you stick on the domestic 3 pin socket, if you're in a hurry you pay a bit more for the high power charger.

At the moment id guess anyone buying a £20k electric motorcycle has a garage with wall power already. Most of the time you'd charge it at home slowly, but you can charge it quickly if you're out for a longer journey.
Well yes, but i was thinking of your context of trackdays, you'd want to be in the pits and just lob it onto their charging system ideally in the garage, rather than heading out to a random point in the paddock and then coming back etc.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It'd have to be a fast charger to get that kind of turnaround, a 3kW wall socket ain't got the juice.

Given that pit buildings already have high power cabling in place it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to add fast chargers in the garages themselves. Presumably that it exactly what will happen as electric vehicles become more common.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am It'd have to be a fast charger to get that kind of turnaround, a 3kW wall socket ain't got the juice.

Given that pit buildings already have high power cabling in place it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to add fast chargers in the garages themselves. Presumably that it exactly what will happen as electric vehicles become more common.
Most UK tracks don't have enough pit buildings for all track day users, Cadwell has none, Lydden was the same last time I went there, I can't see any reason for circuit owners to put fast chargers in, it would take many years to make a profit on the investment required, also could the network feed to Cadwell support 90 fast chargers all working at the same time?

A better solution for trackdays would be bikes with easily changed batteries, and the rider taking multiple batteries - like EMTBs
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They'll have to do something or go out of business, it is gonna be increasingly hard to own a petrol vehicle in the coming years.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter of those two.

At least noise complaints will drop. :D
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:48 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am It'd have to be a fast charger to get that kind of turnaround, a 3kW wall socket ain't got the juice.

Most UK tracks don't have enough pit buildings for all track day users, Cadwell has none, Lydden was the same last time I went there, I can't see any reason for circuit owners to put fast chargers in, it would take many years to make a profit on the investment required, also could the network feed to Cadwell support 90 fast chargers all working at the same time?

A better solution for trackdays would be bikes with easily changed batteries, and the rider taking multiple batteries - like EMTBs
Short term, but longer term they're not going to have a choice if they want to get race meetings in as cars and bikes will want an E-class sooner rather than later, so they'll either have to tell people they need to bring their own charging system, or give them the facility to charge.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:48 am
Most UK tracks don't have enough pit buildings for all track day users, Cadwell has none, Lydden was the same last time I went there, I can't see any reason for circuit owners to put fast chargers in, it would take many years to make a profit on the investment required
However, if the number of EVs increases, will they have no option (other than closing)? Oddly, one of the main objections to tracks is noise, so EVs could be a saviour for circuits.
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:48 am A better solution for trackdays would be bikes with easily changed batteries, and the rider taking multiple batteries - like EMTBs
In the programme (Quest) about converting an RE to electric (the 'Photon') they used a pallet truck fork lift to position the battery pack!

Edit Dazzle typed less than me, so posted sooner!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The bike in the OP is 270kg, that's almost all down to the battery. The frame is not significantly different to a normal bike and the 'engine' is a lot lot lighter.

So you can see how much a battery pack weighs! You ain't changing that without an engine hoist. Technology is gonna improve a lot for sure, but by that token you could also argue you won't NEED to change the battery.

EMTB batteries are much lighter because they're much smaller AND because they don't have the power. Capacity and peak output both matter.