New TV time:

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

New TV time:

Post by Mr Moofo »

My old one was bought in 2008 - it works fine, it is HD ( when it needs to be)
It's a tiny 42 inch screen ....
Thinking of a new one - up to maybe 50 inch . Anything else is out because of the council house look it brings ...

Any recommendations - not suer iI need 4K , as I am not sure any of my normal sources are 4k!!
Is there a huge difference between OLED or just LED?

1k max - but below that would make me happy ...
KungFooBob

Re: New TV time:

Post by KungFooBob »

You really need to compare them on display in a shop to see the difference in OLED panels.

They do black so much better.

IMHO I think OLED is better than Samsung's own propriety QLED.

Don't think you'll find much stuff that's days that isn't 4K.

A lot of the panels are made in the same factories, you're paying for what drives the panel and some manufacturers manage up scaling better than others.

Normal SD broadcasts look just about bearable on my 4k OLED Sony.
Taff

Post by Taff »

we've just done exactly this in the last week, the old tv was a 42" and 50" is the biggest that would fit in the same place. Essential for us was a freesat connection because we did away with sky subscription years ago and we don't have a 'normal' aerial to the tv.

we spent too many hours in currys flip flopping between the various options,boiled it down to a samsung and a sony but eventually settled on the sony bravia. (£900)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 7-pdt.html

we also upgraded our soundbar for a sony jobby (reduced to £300)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 6-pdt.html

the picture and sound is absolutely friggin awesome :thumbup:

we put the old tv and soundbar on facebook marketplace for £75 and they sold within a couple of hours, the lad that bought them actually gave me £80 so I could have probably asked more, but everyone is happy which is more importanter
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

This is the newer version of the one I have.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 6-pdt.html

When the replacement came out Currys discontinued it a week before I was going to buy it at £1600, however a load of them appeared in Costco for £500 less than Curry's were selling them for, so got it from there for £1100. Worth a look in Costco if you have a card or a family member does.

I had a 40inch Sony before and though going 55 would look silly, but I'm used to it now and can't imagine watching a smaller one.
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 pm I had a 40inch Sony before and though going 55 would look silly, but I'm used to it now and can't imagine watching a smaller one.
We went from 26" to 32" about 7 years ago. The tv is in an alcove, anything much wider wouldn't fit (although in that time bezels have reduced substantially).

Something I've noticed recently is that programme makers are using smaller text for some on-screen captions, presumably in the expectation that everyone now has huge tvs.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

I have an LG 55 inch 4K LED and I keep hovering on the 65 inch OLED but the saving is only £200 at the moment so keep hesitating
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Horse wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 pm I had a 40inch Sony before and though going 55 would look silly, but I'm used to it now and can't imagine watching a smaller one.
We went from 26" to 32" about 7 years ago. The tv is in an alcove, anything much wider wouldn't fit (although in that time bezels have reduced substantially).

Something I've noticed recently is that programme makers are using smaller text for some on-screen captions, presumably in the expectation that everyone now has huge tvs.
Do you find that you have to hold the newspaper further away now too ? ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:33 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Do you find that you have to hold the newspaper further away now too ? ;)
No, but I did buy a reading lamp to go next to the commode errrr chair.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I am a bit wary of Sony's Bravia TVs as I had one that had a few duff pixels ...
Sony seems disinterested at the time - and said they all do that ...

It was held in store for a while , upside down , which is not meant be good for them. That seem to cure the issue !
I was under the impression that Samsung and LG make most of the displays - is that true or a myth?

And it realldoes have to new under 50 inches ...
irie

Post by irie »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 pm My old one was bought in 2008 - it works fine, it is HD ( when it needs to be)
Thinking of a new one - up to maybe 50 inch . Anything else is out because of the council house look it brings ...

Any recommendations - not suer iI need 4K , as I am not sure any of my normal sources are 4k!!

This shows you viewing distance vs resolution. For example, you have to watch a 50" 4K television closer than 7' to be able to see any greater detail than a 50" HD television.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bx87uCoDhPSRrWtL7
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:23 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 pm My old one was bought in 2008 - it works fine, it is HD ( when it needs to be)

This shows you viewing distance vs resolution. For example, you have to watch a 50" 4K television closer than 7' to be able to see any greater detail than a 50" HD television.

And that is unlikely to happen - we have a reasonably large living room - so I m guessing it will be 3 metres or so plus ...
irie

Post by irie »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 pm

And that is unlikely to happen - we have a reasonably large living room - so I m guessing it will be 3 metres or so plus ...
About the same as us.

Viewed from 3 metres, to see any visible difference between a HD and 4K TV you'd need at least a 75" screen. :lol:

So when you buy a 50" TV just pick the TV that looks best from 3m, look at smart TV features, nice sound, and so on.

It's no surprise that outfits such as Currys have narrow aisles which conveniently force you to look at 4K TV's just a few feet away. ;)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:16 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 pm

About the same as us.

Viewed from 3 metres, to see any visible difference between a HD and 4K TV you'd need at least a 75" screen. :lol:

So when you buy a 50" TV just pick the TV that looks best from 3m, look at smart TV features, nice sound, and so on.

It's no surprise that outfits such as Currys have narrow aisles which conveniently force you to look at 4K TV's just a few feet away. ;)
Being tier 4 can’t actually go and look at anything .... :(
irie

Post by irie »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 pm Being tier 4 can’t actually go and look at anything .... :(
We're Tier 4 and Google says our Currys is still open, but that might not have been updated since we moved from Tier 2, of course.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

irie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:52 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 pm Being tier 4 can’t actually go and look at anything .... :(
We're Tier 4 and Google says our Currys is still open, but that might not have been updated since we moved from Tier 2, of course.
So Curry’s is being regarded as an essential service ! :eh:
irie

Post by irie »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:40 am
irie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:52 pm
So Curry’s is being regarded as an essential service ! :eh:
Looks like it, unless you're in Tier 4.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/coronavir ... rcial.html
England & Wales

Stores are fully open in tiers 1, 2 & 3. ​

In Tier 4 areas, you can still order online and safely collect in store.
rossm

Post by rossm »

Bought a Techwood TV a few years ago at a bargain price from ao.com (under £300 for a 4K 55" at the time), was a bit wary as never heard of them but all the reviews seemed positive and to be honest if it ever goes bang I'll buy another.

Only negative that has popped up and few mentioned in the reviews is the sound isn't that great, but then again I use a sound bar so not an issue for me and I think that is just a fundamental issue with flat screen tellys these days.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My telly has an acoustic Surface, no speakers as such, the whole screen is a speaker, it sounds brilliant, so much so that my 5.1 hardly gets used anymore.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Resurrection time:

Still looking but:
1) Being slightly deaf, I use subtitles - will that cause a problem with burn in on a OLED?
2) QLED - just smoke and mirrors and a posh LED ?
3) Anyone here had any issues with OLED?

Toss up between a LG CX and a Samsung OLED90 - very similar pricing. But I keep on thinking I should just buy this instead https://www.richersounds.com/tv-project ... u8500.html
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Get some cats and watch them instead.