A Thread For Us Old Farts..

Anything you like about motorbikes
Yorick

A Thread For Us Old Farts..

Post by Yorick »

Somethings that bring back long lost memories.

Just seen this on Facebook. I loved the big old bikes, but they were on track before I started racing. Amazed how slow they were, coz they were amazingly fast to us old duffers at the time :mrgreen:
prod.jpg
prod.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Wotcha got ?

Keep it to your personal youth memories.
Yorick

Re: A Thread For Us Old Farts..

Post by Yorick »

xs1100.jpg
xs1100.jpg (343.06 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Would you believe they gave the TT Travelling Marshals CBX1000s one year? There's a photo (which I can't find online) of one trying to wear the cases out going through Parliament Square. The front wheel is visibly off the tarmac. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Rockburner wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:02 pm Would you believe they gave the TT Travelling Marshals CBX1000s one year? There's a photo (which I can't find online) of one trying to wear the cases out going through Parliament Square. The front wheel is visibly off the tarmac. :D
All the TT travelling marshals are TT race winners. You can't buy into the club.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Yorick wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 pm
Rockburner wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:02 pm Would you believe they gave the TT Travelling Marshals CBX1000s one year? There's a photo (which I can't find online) of one trying to wear the cases out going through Parliament Square. The front wheel is visibly off the tarmac. :D
All the TT travelling marshals are TT race winners. You can't buy into the club.
Yup, volunteers too iirc, and trained up in first on the scene medical aid specifically tailored to what they might encounter. The bikes are mostly bog standard road bike i believe.
non quod, sed quomodo
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I remember watching Graham Crosby racing a Moriwaki Kawasaki at Snetterton coming out of Corams down to the start/finish straight (before the esses were put in) with the wide handlebars flapping from side to side.

God knows what he rode before, but he was quoted as saying that the Moriwaki was the"most stable bike he had ridden".
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am I remember watching Graham Crosby racing a Moriwaki Kawasaki at Snetterton coming out of Corams down to the start/finish straight (before the esses were put in) with the wide handlebars flapping from side to side.

God knows what he rode before, but he was quoted as saying that the Moriwaki was the"most stable bike he had ridden".
I saw him racing that at Scarborough against Sheene and Granty etc...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

https://www.vjmc.com/cbx1000.html
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm totally certain that some of them had Blackbirds one year - probably 2003 ish. But I can't find any info on that. But I'd just got my first, so I remember thinking it was awesome!! (Not all of them were on Birds, I think most were on Blades - maybe?)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 am
I'm totally certain that some of them had Blackbirds one year - probably 2003 ish. But I can't find any info on that. But I'd just got my first, so I remember thinking it was awesome!! (Not all of them were on Birds, I think most were on Blades - maybe?)
I know the first press Blackbird was on the Island the year they released it, I saw it parked up on the same Street as the B&B we were staying at. The story we heard was that they'd let Sandra Barnett loose on it for a few laps and were very upset when it came back with the fairing lowers worn away! :D
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The marshals' trackside bikes at Suzuka for the 8hr used to be NR750's.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:28 am
Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 am
I know the first press Blackbird was on the Island the year they released it, I saw it parked up on the same Street as the B&B we were staying at. The story we heard was that they'd let Sandra Barnett loose on it for a few laps and were very upset when it came back with the fairing lowers worn away! :D
LOL TBF, If I can scrape the custom paint off the fairing lowers, I'm surprised she had any fairing left!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
fatgit

Post by fatgit »

CBX were there in 1978-the year Hailwood returned.
I was there as a geeky bike mad 14yr old with my dad.

Also saw Crosby and Gardner at Scarborough on Moriwaki and Yoshi GS 1000s wheeling past other riders on the straights. As a kid I was just awestruck!

Other good memories are the Transatlantic races at Donington in the 70/80s and seeing Ron Haslam race a bog standard VFR750 and seeing the CB1100R wiping the floor with everything

Wow this thread really got me thinking
Cheers
Steve
Potter

Post by Potter »

When I was 16 I had one of these on a poster on my wall.

And Schwantz was doing his thing...

GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 am
Whysub wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:23 am I remember watching Graham Crosby racing a Moriwaki Kawasaki at Snetterton coming out of Corams down to the start/finish straight (before the esses were put in) with the wide handlebars flapping from side to side.

Same here, about 15 or so, up to Scarborough on the train with a helmet, then hitch hike home after the races. Once I got my moped could go to Carnaby and then bigger bikes Cadwell for clube races Oulton Park for the Transatlantic Match Races then Donnington for the Match Races and GP.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 am

Same here, about 15 or so, up to Scarborough on the train with a helmet, then hitch hike home after the races. Once I got my moped could go to Carnaby and then bigger bikes Cadwell for clube races Oulton Park for the Transatlantic Match Races then Donnington for the Match Races and GP.
Must have been mad to hitch home :D

I raced a lot at Cadwell and Carnaby from 1982.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Might have picked you up :) I used to marshall at Scarboro, Elvington and Carnaby with the Auto 66 Club.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

GuzziPaul wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:49 pm Might have picked you up :) I used to marshall at Scarboro, Elvington and Carnaby with the Auto 66 Club.
LOL probably did. I was on the St John's Ambulance Xmas card
list :D

And being based in Leeds, Auto66 was our main club. We did 90% of their events.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:14 pm
Awesome. I remember watching that race in a pub in Grasmere.

IIRC, one of the lads who impeded Sheene, was Fogarty Snr.