Wanna go fast on track, buy a Panigale

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Wanna go fast on track, buy a Panigale

Post by weeksy »

Or maybe not

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2 ... rbike-test

Interesting article putting 2 riders on a K5 1000 and Panigale and getting them on track.

I've said it dozens of times, it's not about which bike is fastest, it's which bike you get on with more as a rider. Of course there's limits to that statement, but the theory has always seemed solid to me.
KungFooBob

Re: Wanna go fast on track, buy a Panigale

Post by KungFooBob »

Saw that back in September when a pal posted it on Friendface.

IIRC the fastest 'filmed' BTG lap on the Nürburgring was done by Andy Carlile on a 2005 R1.

2005/6 was a good year for sports bikes.

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-fastest-nu ... j-9xqPOVWw
Horse

Post by Horse »

Might it also be affected by any limitations imposed by the track?

Bike took a whole varied bunch of bikes to a track and speed trapped them a various points. At one bend apex they were all almost identical (albeit not for long).
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Interesting video, the gsxr has proper suspension which is its biggest advantage. Proves a point for the average rider but a bit of a shock for anyone buying a V4 expecting it to be much better than a 15 yr old bike.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You'd think the Panigale base suspension should be half decent anyway considering it's a top end sportsbike
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

Meh !
😳😬😂
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:37 pm You'd think the Panigale base suspension should be half decent anyway considering it's a top end sportsbike
Base model lapped quicker around Donny than the "s" version (same as in the vid) when Ritter tested them both, ok so it was only by a few tenths but, quicker is quicker right ? 😂
Rp1

Post by Rp1 »

Haven had a k5 1000 and also had the pleasure of being spat off in highside and ride a V4 now, from a safety point of view I know what keys I would grab 1st.
But like you say it is an interesting video and proves that a talented rider only needs to feel comfortable on a bike to go quick
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

The issue is the talented bit, we’d all go quicker on the V4 as it’s got the tronics 👍
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:25 pm The issue is the talented bit, we’d all go quicker on the V4 as it’s got the tronics 👍
Nah, not all of us can use them.

I'd go quickest on which one was easiest to ride
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've never ridden a bike with electronics on track.

I've always pushed as hard as I felt comfortable with.

It must take some balls to push past that to the point where you're going 100% and the gizmos are saving you?

imho you're going to ride any bike at your own comfort level, if that's well below where the technology kicks in, then you're going to waste all the toys.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:52 pm I've never ridden a bike with electronics on track.

I've always pushed as hard as I felt comfortable with.

It must take some balls to push past that to the point where you're going 100% and the gizmos are saving you?

imho you're going to ride any bike at your own comfort level, if that's well below where the technology kicks in, then you're going to waste all the toys.
First time I had proper TC it took me all day to make it cut in, earlier and earlier on the throttle and it was eye opening how it just kept driving forward till eventually a few times it cut in. In a normal Trackday on a low setting it basically never cuts in as the new stuff I’ve used let’s the rear spin a little and at that point my throttle hand is already backing off a tiny bit.
Dave@ERT

Post by Dave@ERT »

That’s a really good insight into how TC actually ’feels’ on the track 👍 I’ve never ridden anything in anger with TC, and everything that I raced was pre-TC (showing my age now🙄) and I’ve often wondered how well it works. I’m guessing that, psychologically, it helps you to get on the throttle earlier knowing that there’s a ‘safety net’ there ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It doesn't feel like that to most imo. To most it's just a fancy light that never comes on. Making the step to getting in it earlier is really hard
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mine is too intrusive so I keep it off.
Gonna try it at Portimao and compare the feeling.
Dave@ERT

Post by Dave@ERT »

Mmm...I’m a bit ‘old Skool’ and I’ve never really gone for all the gadgets...but I do fancy trying something quick with TC on a track, if only to see what it feels like !? The only rider aid I’ve got on any of my bikes is abs on the Tracer...and I can’t say that I’m over keen on that ??
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dave@ERT wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:39 am abs on the Tracer...and I can’t say that I’m over keen on that ??
The way it operates, or the fact that it's there at all?
Dave@ERT

Post by Dave@ERT »

I’ve no objections in principle and, as a safety feature for emergency situations on the road, it’s probably a good idea. On a track, however, when you start trying a bit harder (which I freely admit isn’t what a Tracer was probably intended for), it seems to cut in too early ? I’m pretty confident I could brake later/harder without it !?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dave@ERT wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:36 am. On a track, however, when you start trying a bit harder ... t seems to cut in too early ? I’m pretty confident I could brake later/harder without it !?
Absolutely a guess, but could it be set for road levels of grip? I wonder whether there is a motion sensor integrated into the control box, just in case the wheel sensors give false indications?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dave@ERT wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:36 am I’ve no objections in principle and, as a safety feature for emergency situations on the road, it’s probably a good idea. On a track, however, when you start trying a bit harder (which I freely admit isn’t what a Tracer was probably intended for), it seems to cut in too early ? I’m pretty confident I could brake later/harder without it !?
100% agree Dave, my XSR is the same. You can buy a module that allows you to remove the ABS completely.

£210.

https://www.veloxracing.com/wp/product/ ... cba1185463

Not that i've ever looked into it... No sir, not me :)