What 'custom' would you build ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: What 'custom' would you build ?

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:55 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:26 pm I would love to restore/rebuild an RD 350 LC or YPVS back to standard
They're easy to work on, the only parts prone to corrosion are the petrol tank and the bottom of the frame, but you need bloody deep pockets to do up an early YPVS, some of the parts are eye wateringly expensive, a set of clocks, £600, the unobtainable fairing bracket, bad ones go for £100, I haven't seen a good one in the 3 months I've had my YPVS.

Mine now has mk2 125LC clocks, £60, I've made my own fairing bracket out of metal I already had £0.
Dont worry, i am following yours as i did with the big Zed rebuild as well ...... 2 of my favourite bikes from my yoof, owned one and wanted the other and almost bought a ZRX Kwacker instead of a ZX636 as a nod to the Lawson Rep ;)

Might even pop down one day next year for a look when we arent lepers anymore
You're welcome to visit, though you're not allowed to tell Weeksy about the messy garage
And I really must sort the carbs on the Z (or easier, pay Grumpy Chris to do it for me)
Honda Owner
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm going to build something but I don't know what. It'll have to be interesting, it'll probably be grungy because (a) showbike painting, chroming etc don't appeal at all (b) make-do-and-mend and industrial appeal more. Plus it makes it more about style than perfection.

I think I'd start with a base model that typically makes the style-police cry - something like a Deauville maybe or a DN-01. Or some fugly 80s jap 'custom'.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am I'm going to build something but I don't know what. It'll have to be interesting, it'll probably be grungy because (a) showbike painting, chroming etc don't appeal at all (b) make-do-and-mend and industrial appeal more. Plus it makes it more about style than perfection.

I think I'd start with a base model that typically makes the style-police cry - something like a Deauville maybe or a DN-01. Or some fugly 80s jap 'custom'.
Start with a Kawasaki Eliminator
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'd like summat to combine The Fonz's Triumph, Evil Kneivel's bike and Robert's flat tracker :)
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

I bought my BMW K100LT with the intention of customising it in some way, let’s face it it’s no looker.

But then after riding it for a few weeks I realised just how practical that enormous fairing was, how much storage there is in the 2 “glove boxes and “boot”, how bright that big square headlight is. Not to mention the radio/tape player, deafening horns.I got addicted to the way the faster you go the more stable it feels.

Wonderful as the bodywork is, it’s a fat old knacker and moving around in the garage was a squeeze and after the second time of knocking the fixed mirrors off when filtering I decided to lose it all.

The plan to do something a bit more radical is still there but for the time being it’s more of a street fighter look.That engine needs to be seen.....and tarted up.

Had a puncture on the Yaris the other day and rode the K to work in torrential rain, did I miss that fairing and headlight.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:50 am Something like a Bimota Tesi or even better a Britten V1000. I'd love to do a V4 equivalent of the V1000.

You can see why I haven't built it. :D
You know....based on the electric custom Weeksy posted before, I may have to amend my statement.

Itd make far more sense to build something like the Britten but with an electric powertrain. Of course it would. I dunno why I didn't think of it before.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:17 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:50 am Something like a Bimota Tesi or even better a Britten V1000. I'd love to do a V4 equivalent of the V1000.

You can see why I haven't built it. :D
You know....based on the electric custom Weeksy posted before, I may have to amend my statement.

Itd make far more sense to build something like the Britten but with an electric powertrain. Of course it would. I dunno why I didn't think of it before.
Stands to reason, you could build the battery box as a chassis member like a Tesla.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yes exactly. Carbon composite battery box (already done in Formula E) with suspension hung off at both ends.

Trouble is, for such a contraption you'd need 'proper' autoclave composite. So you're looking at thousands in tooling before you even make the first one.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Gregor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 pm I bought my BMW K100LT with the intention of customising it in some way, let’s face it it’s no looker.

But then after riding it for a few weeks I realised just how practical that enormous fairing was, how much storage there is in the 2 “glove boxes and “boot”, how bright that big square headlight is. Not to mention the radio/tape player, deafening horns.I got addicted to the way the faster you go the more stable it feels.

Wonderful as the bodywork is, it’s a fat old knacker and moving around in the garage was a squeeze and after the second time of knocking the fixed mirrors off when filtering I decided to lose it all.

The plan to do something a bit more radical is still there but for the time being it’s more of a street fighter look.That engine needs to be seen.....and tarted up.

Had a puncture on the Yaris the other day and rode the K to work in torrential rain, did I miss that fairing and headlight.

Oddball is the way I'd go. All sorts of possibities with that.

Lets face it, no one is going to build a supernaked in a shed that's going to compete with a factory bike, so don't try I reckon. Do something the factories don't do but that will still be rideable and sufficiently fun and quirky that you don't fret about performance. A cafe racer is out for me too because they've become like farts: sooner or later every arsehole gets one.

I'd build a big grunty but chilled roaster using something with a distinctive but proven engine that would work as an everyday bike.

A bit like the flying brick above, I always fancied having a go with a Honda Pan European. Unbustable engine, shaft drive and a usable bike that is so unlike anything you can buy off the shelf that you aren't going to be comparing it to factory bikes all the time. I quite like this sort of thing. Not keen on the perforated panels or the stubby cafe racer tail but that's just detail. The basic platform hangs together rather well and the star of the show is that great burly lump of industrial metal in the middle. And it would be a very easy bike to home service as well.
07bdf718b51428c7ea88bc8757f86386.jpg
07bdf718b51428c7ea88bc8757f86386.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 999 times
I also quite like old Goldwing customs for the same reason. Admittedly a Pan would be far more practical but I think old Goldies can look great turned into Brit style retro roadsters. The seat isn't right on this one, colour or shape, and I'd have decent USD fork on it but otherwise I quite like this as a starting point. I'd go a lot further with this. Too much of it still looks standard and the original handlebar controls and instrument cluster look out of place, but it's got potential and has a hint of a Vincent or a Velo about it.
1981-honda-goldwing.jpg
1981-honda-goldwing.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Last edited by Gimlet on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Not so obvious on the pic above, but when I've seen naked ST1100's before I'm always shocked at how wee and nesh the headers look, my central heating uses bigger diameter pipes.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Wrap them or make some groovy shrouds.
I suspect the above builder has shrewdly used that half belly pan for just this reason.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yeah a goldwing or pan custom would be awesome.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I pap'ed this in Saumur a few years back, I thought it looked rather spiffing, but it is an 'older' Goldwing.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

CBR1800RR for the win.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:31 pm CBR1800RR for the win.

But from the other angle the swingarm looks a good foot too long.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I've fancied building something with twin engines, just for the sake of having a twin engined bike.

A couple a cheap 125s would do.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

cheb wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 pm I've fancied building something with twin engines, just for the sake of having a twin engined bike.

A couple a cheap 125s would do.
They call that a 250 twin.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'd like to build something like this...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... zpSFhNqYV8

That one is way too much money, but it's a fairly convincing replica at first glance.

RC36, with RC30 body work, Fireblade forks, etc..

Looks good imho as a poor mans RC30.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:25 pm I pap'ed this in Saumur a few years back, I thought it looked rather spiffing, but it is an 'older' Goldwing.

That does look nice. I imagine it sounds good too. Would make a great alternative sunny day cruiser.
The only drawback with flat engines is they push your feet back and force a sit up and beg position, so I'd have that with a really sumptuous single seat. Like the wide bars though.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Gregor wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:06 pm I bought my BMW K100LT with the intention of customising it in some way, let’s face it it’s no looker.

Been looking into this (what else do you do on Christmas day....)
There's shed loads of customised old K series Beemers. Inevitably lots of generic hipster cafe racers but interesting stuff as well that showcase the engine.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 66&bih=625

Streetfighters certainly:
BMW-K100-Modern-Cafe-Racer-FB-3-1200x628.jpg
BMW-K100-Modern-Cafe-Racer-FB-3-1200x628.jpg (225.64 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Oddly, they even seem to work as retro style roadsters:
410bf5840dbf4c5caad8ff8f3bd0180a.jpg
410bf5840dbf4c5caad8ff8f3bd0180a.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Get planning!