Face masks

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
WelshDragon

Face masks

Post by WelshDragon »

I know this is has been discussed as part of the corona thread on TRC but now that there seems to be some ‘expectation’ that masks might be a requirement in our post lockdown world, what do the experts on here suggest us novices should be looking for in a face mask? I have seen some grading applied and some masks have reference numbers but I wouldn’t know where to start as I’ve never had to use one before.

Any tips appreciated please. :)
Last edited by WelshDragon on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
MrLongbeard

Re: Face masks

Post by MrLongbeard »

Makes sod all difference to me with a beard, wearing a mask may reduce my exposure but it won't eliminate it.
Same goes for the millions that don't shave every day.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Not sure that sealing over a beard is high on WDs requirements?
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

demographic wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:28 am Not sure that sealing over a beard is high on WDs requirements?
My career as the bearded lady attraction in the circus ended some years ago..... :lol:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

As a deaf person, this is a conversation killer. How will I lipread? So I'll probably start carrying my clear acrylic shield of health.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

the_priest wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:51 am As a deaf person, this is a conversation killer. How will I lipread? So I'll probably start carrying my clear acrylic shield of health.
Would it help if we all SHOUTED AT YOU ? :D

As you well know most of us just talk Sh**e anyway .......
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

1) Is this 'expectation' coming from a credible source?
2) Since the people who really need face masks now are struggling to get them, I doubt if there will be any at all in the near future for another 60+ million to wear, even if the government makes it compulsory.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I have to wear one at work, by lunchtime it smells like a monkeys armpit
Honda Owner
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Are you sure you're wearing it on the correct part of your body?
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:29 am I have to wear one at work, by lunchtime it smells like a monkeys armpit
Try brushing your teeth in the morning.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am 1) Is this 'expectation' coming from a credible source?
2) Since the people who really need face masks now are struggling to get them, I doubt if there will be any at all in the near future for another 60+ million to wear, even if the government makes it compulsory.
What does it matter what the source is? I am asking a question that I would genuinely like some help with.

Seriously if you have nothing useful to contribute then there isn't anything to see here for you. :x
Last edited by WelshDragon on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:45 am Are you sure you're wearing it on the correct part of your body?
:lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

WelshDragon wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 am
Bike Breaker wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am 1) Is this 'expectation' coming from a credible source?
What does it matter what the source is? I am asking a question that I would genuinely like some help with.

Seriously if you have nothing useful to contribute then there isn't anything to see here for you. :x
The lovely BB is one of the more distinguished contributors on here.

And she's from Yorickshire :)
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 pm

That's fine (and I meant on this thread no other) but surely to goodness I don't need to quote a source for asking this question??? :crazy: :?
If I could be bothered I'd trawl back through the coronavirus thread on TRC where people did have a chat about it but I can't. If, and it is an if, it becomes a requirement, I just want to be pointed in the right direction on buying something useful not c**p! :geek:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

WelshDragon wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 pm

That's fine (and I meant on this thread no other) but surely to goodness I don't need to quote a source for asking this question??? :crazy: :?
If I could be bothered I'd trawl back through the coronavirus thread on TRC where people did have a chat about it but I can't. If, and it is an if, it becomes a requirement, I just want to be pointed in the right direction on buying something useful not c**p! :geek:
You 'need' one that fits, get that sorted first and you're half way there.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've gone with the Grim Reaper...
Yamaha rocket 3
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 pm I've gone with the Grim Reaper...
Careful you don’t frighten the kids or is that the idea? On second thoughts don’t go anywhere near someone who is old or has underlying conditions just at the moment...... :lol:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I often have to wear face masks at work to protect myself from construction dust, I'm self employed so uaually have to buy them myself.
I have a proper rubbery face respirator with the two side filter pods and I always buy the FFP3 ones.
Its of the type where I can squeeze the pod housings to stop the flow of inlet air into the two side pods, breath in and if I turn blue the mask fits my face well.
Great for the wearer but as it has an outlet valve which lets air the wearer has breathed out, err... out, potentially someone with the virus could still infect others.

The other masks? Dunno really, I hardly ever wear em but see the one with one strap? Those are almost universally shit, I've worn em doing demolition and got black snots. Fail.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Aside from the proper fit test with sweet / bitter fumes we used to rate ours by the colour of our snot after coming out of the flammability lab.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Now I can see why it’s a bit of a minefield to say the least and why there has been ‘’umming’ and ’arring’ about whether masks are any good! :roll:

I used to get ‘orrible black snot when I worked in London and walked from Euston station to wherever I was going!