The darkside with a twist of fun

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Scuffmark

The darkside with a twist of fun

Post by Scuffmark »

As I still like to get oil and grease under my finger nails I thought I'd post a thread as some where to keep a record of all my tinkering on the current fleet and keep it all in one place.

The twist of fun...

My 2011 KTM 690 SMC. A fun toy and used for short blasts. Requires a bit of maintenance but then it doesn't ride like a Honda.

The darkside ....

My 2018 Yamaha MT10. The shiney bike which apart from riding,cleaning and servicing doesn't need much. Perfect as is.

Then theres this....

2014 Yamaha MT09. A recent purchase and bought as an occasional road bike ( I loves a triple), occasional track day bike. Requires a bit of work to make it fresh again and something to tinker with and improve as I go.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The darkside with a twist of fun

Post by weeksy »

That's an enviable fleet.

You done many trackdays?
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Just an idle thought but the bars on your MT09 look a bit higher than on mine which has Rizoma bars.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 pm That's an enviable fleet.

You done many trackdays?
Cheers ... The fleet is just a benefit of being older and no kids to support.... any spare cash goes into my bikes :lol:

Yes , when I started they weren't called trackdays. I've not been on track since late 2006 though so you could say I'm a bit rusty.
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm Just an idle thought but the bars on your MT09 look a bit higher than on mine which has Rizoma bars.
Theres a chance they've been changed in the last 6 years I suppose ?

They look standard and are certainly threaded for the standard bar weights..... Possibly gonna get changed for some LSL drag bars at a later date.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Scuffmark wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:59 pm
Beancounter wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:23 pm Just an idle thought but the bars on your MT09 look a bit higher than on mine which has Rizoma bars.
Theres a chance they've been changed in the last 6 years I suppose ?

They look standard and are certainly threaded for the standard bar weights..... Possibly gonna get changed for some LSL drag bars at a later date.
Aye mine have definitely been changed, the bike had Woodcraft clip-on style bars on when I bought it. The seller had the Arizona’s but not standard.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Nice stable of bikes there :thumbup:
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

The 09 picture makes it look in better condition than it actually is if I'm honest... dont they always ?

Theres a few scuffs on the right hand side and had been subjected to some vandalism damage (mostly repaired)but came with the Akrapovic system + standard and has an ecu tune.

Even after degreasing and steam cleaning twice parts were still dirty so I've been stripping parts off and doing a deep clean.

This is how the back wheel looked after steaming

And now

I'm waiting on a few parts to rebuild the rear brake, hopefully be here this week.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Put of interest what's the handling of the MT09 like? I've heard some mixed reports from fine to horrible.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:36 am Put of interest what's the handling of the MT09 like? I've heard some mixed reports from fine to horrible.
Mine benefitted from a Nitron shock and fork set up to suit. Cost was £600 for the shock (I wanted a HPA because my missus goes pillion regularly, this added £250) and another £250 for the fork. Work done by MCT in Stowmarket/Wetheringsett.

Scuffmark - you mentioned drag bars in an earlier post, I don't know how they compare to the Woodcraft I have lying around in the garage but you're welcome to them FOC if you want them.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

Nice collection. The 09 looks like a nice project. Looks like you've sorted the handing but does its still have the snatchy throttle fitted as standard?
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am
Supermofo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:36 am Put of interest what's the handling of the MT09 like? I've heard some mixed reports from fine to horrible.
Mine benefitted from a Nitron shock and fork set up to suit. Cost was £600 for the shock (I wanted a HPA because my missus goes pillion regularly, this added £250) and another £250 for the fork. Work done by MCT in Stowmarket/Wetheringsett.

Scuffmark - you mentioned drag bars in an earlier post, I don't know how they compare to the Woodcraft I have lying around in the garage but you're welcome to them FOC if you want them.
Suspension is definitely something I'm looking to change... Correct weight front springs and heavier weight oil first off . A Nitron shock or similar would be fantastic and is the long term plan but I may try a budget option on the rear of a zx6/10r shock first. It gives slightly more ride height and better damping with minimal outlay.

Just searched Woodcraft bars and I think they'll do what I'm after so thanks for the very kind offer ... I cant accept them for free though , atleast let me cover the cost of postage ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am Work done by MCT in Stowmarket/Wetheringsett.
Feck me, most people don't know where Stowmarket is, never mind Wetheringsett, which is more of an area than an actual village, we used to occasionally ride over to the Cat and Mouse (from 6 miles away) and I don't know if I could find my way from the A140 to it.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am Work done by MCT in Stowmarket/Wetheringsett.
Feck me, most people don't know where Stowmarket is, never mind Wetheringsett, which is more of an area than an actual village, we used to occasionally ride over to the Cat and Mouse (from 6 miles away) and I don't know if I could find my way from the A140 to it.
most motorbikers do, but only because MCT is there :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:10 pm
Ooooh, I've known Darren longer than you've known him :D (not that I've seen him since sometime in the 90s)

I didn't know they'd moved from Stowmarket, makes sense though as it'll be cheaper and closer to where Darren lives.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:14 pm
Ooooh, I've known Darren longer than you've known him :D (not that I've seen him since sometime in the 90s)

I didn't know they'd moved from Stowmarket, makes sense though as it'll be cheaper and closer to where Darren lives.
I've never met him, i've used him via post only :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:44 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:14 pm

I've never met him, i've used him via post only :D
I bought a YZ125 off of him, used to use the dealership he worked in quite a bit because I trusted him to do work without fecking it up. Nice bloke.
I moved away from Stowmarket in 1993 so I stopped using that dealers, last time I saw him I think I had a YZF750 so it must have been between 1996 and 1999
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Scuffmark wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:06 pm As I still like to get oil and grease under my finger nails I thought I'd post a thread as some where to keep a record of all my tinkering on the current fleet and keep it all in one place.

The twist of fun...

The darkside ....

My 2018 Yamaha MT10. The shiney bike which apart from riding,cleaning and servicing doesn't need much. Perfect as is.

Man I love the look of those bikes!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm Man I love the look of those bikes!
Don't ever ever ride one.

IMO the best bike i've ever ridden on the road... Just a lovely lovely thing. I must admit, i didn't like it as much on track as i did on the road...but on the road, it was superb.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:01 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm Man I love the look of those bikes!
Don't ever ever ride one.

IMO the best bike i've ever ridden on the road... Just a lovely lovely thing. I must admit, i didn't like it as much on track as i did on the road...but on the road, it was superb.
Too much bike for me! :oops: